Are you closer

I've always felt somewhere in the middle. But I think that whether a person feels rich or poor depends entirely on who they're comparing themselves to. If you think about it, years ago, people often had less than they do now, but didn't feel "poor" because they were only comparing themselves to their own neighbors. Nowadays, we're comparing ourselves to the rich and famous on TV, so we feel like we have less, even though we actually have more.

And of course, if we're here on this site at all, we're better off than most of the world! -

http://www.globalrichlist.com

According to the above, we are very rich.

And the one below is for the US only and you can see where you rank

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/

Those are cool calculators, Dawn. - Thanks for finding them!

Over the years, the definition of poor in the U.S. has changed. A century ago, it might have been a family sharing an apartment with another in a cold water flat. It might have meant having one extra set of clothes and only one pair of worn out shoes. It might have meant having one meal a day. Today, with government programs, poor might mean you get housing assistance, food stamps, Medicaid a free phone and other benefits that mean your standard of living is much better than a century ago. Everything is relative. Even the poor of a century ago here in the U.S. were much better off than many people in the world today that are lucky to get a meal every few days and their only shelter is a cardboard box. Most of us are incredibly blessed.

<<< because of them, i am richer than i probably deserve to be. However, i do have to stretch a few dollars at the end of every month :(

I don't feel rich or poor.
We live comfortably, travel, eat, go to movies and pretty much buy what we want (within reason), own DVC so go to Disney often.
Retired and live within a monthly budget

I feel we're middle-of-the-road, not poor but not rich either. We're comfortable and for that I'm truly thankful. Our home has been paid for for many years, we own vacation property up north, have decent vehicles, own farm land, clothes on our backs and food in our tummies so we have more than others but less than others too. We are blessed and fortunate, and I'm thankful for everything we have, and especially the good health that we have.

http://www.globalrichlist.com

According to the above, we are very rich.

And the one below is for the US only and you can see where you rank

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/
Well, according to the chart, I'm much better off than I feel. That's not helpful though LOL

Agree with @Gumbo4x4 these charts make me look richer than I feel. Of course the Boston area and south shore is expensive, especially the real estate. What I pay for my mortgage would definitely have gotten me a lot more house in other parts of the country. I felt a lot richer before I had kids too!! They're expensive little buggers, lol.

Thanks for the calculator. I loved the bit about the 1% vs. the .1%. 1.65 million 1%ers but I feel that's probably the single biggest gap between those on the front end of the percentile and the back. I wonder if its the same for those on the bottom 1%?

I would say we're...solid. Not rich but by no means poor. Other than my mortgage I have no debt, the bills are paid without a struggle and there's always food on the table. But, I know from experience that can turn on a dime. I've been fortunate to never have gone hungry but I have been on the verge of homelessness. That is something that is always at the back of my mind and my good fortune is something I will never take for granted again.

Is it a sin that I don't like PO Boys?

Just this weekend I became debt free, I have a 401K and work full time. My honey owns his own business and does o.k. We have a decent home and can afford to eat. I go to WDW twice a year so I guess by most standards we are rich. I've been poor, gone to bed without supper many a night and had to wear my brother's hand me downs (I'm a girl) so I'm very grateful and take nothing for granted.

I keep going by this thread and seeing "Are you a closer?" You know, like "Coffee's for closers.";)

Well, rich by world standards but definitely poorer in the US. Trouble is, this is where I live. Moving isn't affordable.

I'll let you know after my divorce attorney gets done with my husband's.

cda0ca8c20eb63383f01ce697a36e115.jpg

Agree with @Gumbo4x4 these charts make me look richer than I feel. Of course the Boston area and south shore is expensive, especially the real estate. What I pay for my mortgage would definitely have gotten me a lot more house in other parts of the country. I felt a lot richer before I had kids too!! They're expensive little buggers, lol.

But we have choices. Kids are expensive because we afford them experiences and a life that they wouldn't have had they been born into poverty. Parents in South Sudan aren't putting their kids in soccer, clubs, drama performances, piano lessons, etc.....

We are rich because our life isn't dictated for us......we have choices. We can live in a house instead of a refugee tent. We have running water, food in our fridges, and even have a lot of our WANTS met.

There are a lot of people wealthier than I am. Sometimes I can let it get to me. But there are a a heck of a lot of people far worse off than I am. Perspective helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter