Are you sending your kids to school next month?

Out son is supposed to go back to college in mid August. Right now we are planning on having him go.

What's interesting is that the school is sending them home for Thanksgiving break and then finishing the semester from home

LSU is doing that, too. I figure the risk of exposure will be highest over the holidays. Cases will skyrocket.

Here’s what I am thinking. First it was old people and sick people. Then it was 18-29 year olds. No one knows what it will do to kids because we have protected them. Not ready to throw mine out to be a guinea pig.

This, so much this.

I’m really stressed about this but I need to make a decision by August 1st. Our school district has launched a complete virtual online program so parents have that option regardless of what schools decide to do. But the catch is you have to commit to the year and *maybe* your kid can switch back after winter break, if there’s room.

So far no decision has been made by my district. I’m also in a college town and the university here has stated they intend to be in person but behind the scenes they’re switching classes online like nuts and having us all take professional development courses (I teach at the university) on online learning. So in my case- our school district and university will need to do the same thing since we’re so connected- university employs most of the people in town.

I’m teaching online since I’m high risk (cancer survivor) so obviously sending my son negates the whole purpose of working from home. But it’s his last year of elementary and I’m just so devastated for him to be virtual the whole year and then have to transition to junior high after having that gap of time. My heart is just breaking for him but ultimately I just can’t risk him giving it to me so we’ll likely be doing virtual.

I live with someone who is in a high-risk category, and my options are apparently going to be to go in or to quit.

Yeah, this is just miserable, and it makes me sick how little staff are being thought of.

Well that’s pretty much true of EVERY profession out there. Sure, some people are able to work from home, but not everyone. That doesn’t mean the staff isn’t being thought of, it means they are being thought of the same amount as any other employee in any other line of work.

Well that’s pretty much true of EVERY profession out there. Sure, some people are able to work from home, but not everyone. That doesn’t mean the staff isn’t being thought of, it means they are being thought of the same amount as any other employee in any other line of work.
I hear what you are saying, but it is a little different in an office or other adult setting. Asking and expecting an adult to social distance and wear a mask all day and wash their hands a lot is completely different than expecting children from the age of 5 to comply. Being an adult responsible for overseeing 20 plus kids all day is a bit different than adults taking care of themselves.

Kids in other country do and are wearing masks. These kids have all sorts of abilities as well. There's no reason American kids cannot.

That’s pretty dismissive, especially considering that Canada’s official guidelines specify NO MASKS and NO SOCIAL DISTANCING because it is mentally and emotionally harmful for the kids. We’re going to be raising a bunch of neurotic, anxiety-ridden kids despite the fact that THEY are the ones who are least at-risk, How about the older people work to protect themselves and allow kids to be kids.? Teachers could wear N95 masks. Kids are so-far suspected to be less-likely to transmit the disease based on a number of studies now. Heck, we know they don’t catch it as often, so that alone means they aren’t as likely to transmit it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-kids-less-likely-to-catch-it-than-adults-are

I live with someone who is in a high-risk category, and my options are apparently going to be to go in or to quit.

Yeah, this is just miserable, and it makes me sick how little staff are being thought of.

University instructor here and I totally get it. I’m very, very lucky I was given online courses due to my high risk situation. But others in my department are not so lucky. I especially feel for those in K-12 right now. Hugs to you!

That’s pretty dismissive, especially considering that Canada’s official guidelines specify NO MASKS and NO SOCIAL DISTANCING because it is mentally and emotionally harmful for the kids. We’re going to be raising a bunch of neurotic, anxiety-ridden kids despite the fact that THEY are the ones who are least at-risk, How about the older people work to protect themselves and allow kids to be kids.? Teachers could wear N95 masks. Kids are so-far suspected to be less-likely to transmit the disease based on a number of studies now.
I’m not so sure that is totally true with the transmission of cases. They are seeing number of cases in TX childcare facilities rising quite a bit.
Don’t forget, most kids have not been in large group settings since schools closed in March. And we as a country are not handling this nearly as well as many other countries so we can’t even really rely on what is happening in other country’s schools. Israel did in fact have to close some schools again after reopening due to rising cases. I think time will tell us more.

I hear what you are saying, but it is a little different in an office or other adult setting. Asking and expecting an adult to social distance and wear a mask all day and wash their hands a lot is completely different than expecting children from the age of 5 to comply. Being an adult responsible for overseeing 20 plus kids all day is a bit different than adults taking care of themselves.

The vast majority of the non-retail and non-restaurant staff that I know are still working from home.

In addition to Heather's well-articulated point above, in the retail and restaurant locations, they reserve the right to refuse service for failing to wear a mask. It has already been established for my school that this will not be the case. So, apples and oranges.

No... because we don't start until September. :laughing::duck:

I'm following my 11yo daughter's lead. She wants to go back, even though the state rules will require the kids to be masked at all times, so she's going back. If she had wanted to stay home and continue distance learning, I was open to that as well. But she's really struggled with being home - her class is tiny and tight-knit, with 3 of the 4 kids having been together since pre-school, and this has been almost like being separated from extended family. Harder than not seeing our actual extended family, in a lot of ways, because she was never accustomed to seeing them every day or week. So I'm glad it looks like we're on track to go back in the fall.

My biggest concern right now is that the governor isn't giving us any leeway on school size or class size, public or private - all the schools in a given zone will be required to comply with the state guidelines for the reopening phase they're in. And the day after she released the detailed guidance for reopening, she hinted that she is considering moving at least some parts of the state back to "phase 3" which would mean another round of mandatory school closures. My rural county is lumped into the same zone as the Detroit area because we're connected by easy highway access and if more is open here than in suburbia, there's little barrier to keep people from flocking across zone lines. So basically, we're in a position where if the Detroit Public Schools can't safely serve their 50,000 students, our tiny, small town Catholic school won't be allowed to serve our 50. And that decision will be made based on the pandemic trajectory in the three metro Detroit counties that combine for 38,000+ cases, not on how many cases my county adds to the 500 we've had so far. I suspect that means that even if we are allowed to open, we won't be able to stay that way for long.

The vast majority of the non-retail and non-restaurant staff that I know are still working from home.

In addition to Heather's well-articulated point above, in the retail and restaurant locations, they reserve the right to refuse service for failing to wear a mask. It has already been established for my school that this will not be the case. So, apples and oranges.

That’s definitely not true everywhere (who is going into work in person). As for the rest, all I am saying is that I’m not sure why any one profession would expect different/extra consideration. Around here, masks ARE NOT required. So it’s not an apples to oranges comparison at all. Granted we have a low level of infection. However, back to a point I made in an earlier post, if it’s bad enough that people think masks for kids are necessary, then the school shouldn’t be open at all. Kids are NOT CAPABLE of handling masks properly. Why the heck would a teacher want to have to deal with that all day? Touching kids’ masks all day long to help them? That would be more germy than no masks at all. Blech!

And people can make derisive comments about the US vs other countries all day long, but it doesn’t change the fact that US kids are simply NOT used to the level of obedience, respect and compliance as kids in, say, China, S.Korea, or even some European countries (not all of which are requiring masks) and that kind of attitude isn’t going to change overnight. Teachers cannot even always keep control of all their students when there AREN’T masks involved for goodness’ sake.

We’re going to be raising a bunch of neurotic, anxiety-ridden kids despite the fact that THEY are the ones who are least at-risk,

I think this is only true if you choose to frame it that way for your children. Instead, you could help them focus on how what we’re doing is good for our community and our society as a whole. What we’re doing is thinking of others and helping to protect them. Children, even very young children, can absolutely be taught that sometimes it is more important to think of the needs of others.

Trust me when I say that only works if you don’t have a child who is already the anxious sort. Even then, desire to comply doesn’t actually equal ability. I’m also not sure why people insist on ignoring the fact that interacting with masks on is simply not emotionally/mentally good for kids. There’s a reason Canada has already specified no-masks for schools.

I have no problem with adults wearing masks. I wear one when I go to the store. My kids have worn one on the two occasions they’ve gone into a store. Asking kids to suddenly wear them for 8hrs a day? Lunch? Recess? Paranoid about touching things? No. Just no.

Our school here starts September. DD is 4 and will be going to school for the first time. I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing or not...
Her school is planning to operate as “normal” as possible with in person classes. Some changes: No outsiders allowed into the school (including parents) during school hours. Staggered pick ups. No masks required but can be worn if the teacher or student chooses to do so. Mandatory 14 day quarantine if returning from outside the country.

No idea if any of this will come to fruition but my 4 year old would not do well with learning online. And this mom would not do well with it either. It’s a waiting game now since a lot can change between today and September 8.

All public schools in Florida are being forced to open and to be available for all students.

That's just insane!

My former district usually starts the first Tuesday in August for teachers and the following Monday for students. They have pushed that back to August 12 for teachers and I believe Aug 18 for students. My DH is still teaching and I will be subbing (I retired this year). I will be very picky about who I sub for. If you call in sick I won't pick up that job. If you call and say, "hey I have a dentist appointment" I will sub for you.

Someone upthread stated that her son stocked shelves at WalMart and if he didn't get it there, he wasn't going to get it. A good friend of mine has a son who will be a senior this year. He stocked shelves at the local grocery store all spring and up until football practice started. 3 days in they had 5 kids who tested positive for the virus so the entire team had to quarantine at home. Friends son came down with it a week later.

My kids are adults but I’m a teacher so my question is, should I go back?

I’m in the enviable position of having met my retirement requirement this past school year. However, we did not plan nor do I want to retire in my 50’s. I want to go back but if things become untenable for me, I may retire and do something else when this crises is past.

My district hasn’t announced anything as far as what safety measures will be in place. My state only made masks mandatory last Saturday as the cases skyrocketed and our hospitals approached capacity. It’s almost like we slept through March and April rather than learning from other states/countries.

This is happening at a lot of jobs in my area that are reopening.

My brother works for a furniture delivery company. He either had to go back in last week or quit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter