Are you sending your kids to school next month?

It’s still up in the air what the plan the school system has. They recently sent out a survey.
My dd has been looking into homeschool curriculum just in case they want to go all in at first.
My dgd will be in Kindergarten and she does well with the mask if we go to the store, But that is different from all day.

Our school district just announced their plan today. They are doing in person school Mon-Thurs with Fridays being virtual. Kind of a weird plan, because I don't really see how one day off a week will help anything, but I am just so glad it's not every other day or half days like they were talking about.

Yes, my daughter will be going back. She will be a Junior. She already goes out with friends (wearing a mask) and she really wants to go back. My son will be going away to his first year of college. I just hope that this year can have some semblance of normalcy for these kids.

Yes, for the youngest. So far her school district is planning on doing a normal full time schedule.

That’s definitely not true everywhere (who is going into work in person). As for the rest, all I am saying is that I’m not sure why any one profession would expect different/extra consideration. Around here, masks ARE NOT required. So it’s not an apples to oranges comparison at all. Granted we have a low level of infection. However, back to a point I made in an earlier post, if it’s bad enough that people think masks for kids are necessary, then the school shouldn’t be open at all. Kids are NOT CAPABLE of handling masks properly. Why the heck would a teacher want to have to deal with that all day? Touching kids’ masks all day long to help them? That would be more germy than no masks at all. Blech!

And people can make derisive comments about the US vs other countries all day long, but it doesn’t change the fact that US kids are simply NOT used to the level of obedience, respect and compliance as kids in, say, China, S.Korea, or even some European countries (not all of which are requiring masks) and that kind of attitude isn’t going to change overnight. Teachers cannot even always keep control of all their students when there AREN’T masks involved for goodness’ sake.

Masks are necessary anywhere indoors in public in my state (and anywhere outdoors if social distancing is not possible). In that sense, I think we're agreeing; we should not be open.

My brother works for a furniture delivery company. He either had to go back in last week or quit.

To be honest, if we could figure out how to get furniture delivered remotely, I'd support your brother not going in also.

That’s definitely not true everywhere (who is going into work in person). As for the rest, all I am saying is that I’m not sure why any one profession would expect different/extra consideration. Around here, masks ARE NOT required. So it’s not an apples to oranges comparison at all. Granted we have a low level of infection. However, back to a point I made in an earlier post, if it’s bad enough that people think masks for kids are necessary, then the school shouldn’t be open at all. Kids are NOT CAPABLE of handling masks properly. Why the heck would a teacher want to have to deal with that all day? Touching kids’ masks all day long to help them? That would be more germy than no masks at all. Blech!

And people can make derisive comments about the US vs other countries all day long, but it doesn’t change the fact that US kids are simply NOT used to the level of obedience, respect and compliance as kids in, say, China, S.Korea, or even some European countries (not all of which are requiring masks) and that kind of attitude isn’t going to change overnight. Teachers cannot even always keep control of all their students when there AREN’T masks involved for goodness’ sake.

You know, I'm pretty darned old, and IME, it is amazing what kids are able to accomplish when you set high expectations and don't waver from them. IME, once past toddlerhood, most kids LOVE wearing masks; especially if they depict a favorite character. If teachers work with that and do things like call on "Spiderman in the second row" I suspect that they will have no difficulty whatsoever adjusting to the need to wear a mask. Teens will be a bit harder, but mine already sees the bright side of only having to do eye makeup because you can't see the rest of it, LOL.

DD has only been done for a week so school doesn't start until Sept 8 here. But as of now, yes she will be going based on how we manage. Only 2 cases in our health region currently.

School doesn't start until September. But yes for sure. We only have 16 active cases in the province. It's safe.
Same here only 2 active cases, both sourced from travel in our health region. If school is open she's going. We kept her home when they reopened the schools as it wasn't worth it for 8 days, when she was doing the exact same lesson online as in class. He had zoom meetings on fridays for the kids that stayed home.

That’s pretty dismissive, especially considering that Canada’s official guidelines specify NO MASKS and NO SOCIAL DISTANCING because it is mentally and emotionally harmful for the kids. We’re going to be raising a bunch of neurotic, anxiety-ridden kids despite the fact that THEY are the ones who are least at-risk, How about the older people work to protect themselves and allow kids to be kids.? Teachers could wear N95 masks. Kids are so-far suspected to be less-likely to transmit the disease based on a number of studies now. Heck, we know they don’t catch it as often, so that alone means they aren’t as likely to transmit it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-kids-less-likely-to-catch-it-than-adults-are
Not true. Canada has no national guidelines, those are set by the provinces and kids were required to social distance at school when it reopened. Classes had a max of 8 kids to a room, desks were spaced 6' apart. They could wear masks if they or their parent wished. I kept my kid home when it reopened in June as it was only 8 days, not worth it to send her back. I picked up her stuff and her teacher was setting up the classroom according to the provincial guidelines.

Incorrect. And our districts are awaiting legal advice or an update to the wording of the bill (AB 77).

Quote from a recent article about it from a district superintendent: “The law states that there are only two reasons that you can go to distance learning - one, if it’s ordered by the state or county, and two, if you are medically fragile”.

With state funding tied to whether they follow the guidelines set forth from the state, they really have no choice in the matter. From our County school superintendent “Schools should be prepared to reopen classrooms, at least partially, unless ordered to keep them closed by local or state health officials.”

So I will take the word of teachers, district superintendents and our own County superintendent, who are sitting in on these discussions to know what’s actually going on.

Not in my backyard, but still relatively close is Brentwood school district. They just officially announced today that they are doing only distance learning for elementary and middle schools, and only hybrid schedule for high school.

Another district to the long list of schools with no full-time in-person schedule in the Bay Area for the upcoming school year.

Last edited:
I don’t want to start a home schooling debate here, I’m just concerned that so many parents who all of a sudden say “I’m going to home school now“. Are you qualified to do this? Yes, in my opinion one should be qualified in order to educate a child.Qualified can be a broad definition And unique for each household. It just makes me sad that education is a victim of Covid for many reasons

Last edited:
Not in my backyard, but still relatively close is Brentwood school district. They just officially announced today that they are doing only distance learning for elementary and middle schools, and only hybrid schedule for high school.

Another district to the long list of schools with no full-time in-person schedule in the Bay Area for the upcoming school year.
Again, what are you trying to prove? I already explained to you, twice now, that I NEVER said anything about full time in person. Why do you keep harping on that when it was never said? Also, as I’ve already explained to you, it can be given approval at the county or state level. So your county has given it and mine has not. So nothing I’ve said is untrue. My county, right now, is not letting us do 100% remote learning. Our health director released a statement about it yesterday. So you can continue to share what other areas are doing, but it doesn’t mean what I said was incorrect. The bill (which again, is not some silly law) says a) medically fragile or b) state or COUNTY. Why are you having such trouble comprehending the county part? And to be very clear, the part I said you were incorrect on was saying districts could do what they wanted without approval from the county. The only autonomy the districts have are to decide within the order from the county/state. So if both 100% distance learning and hybrid are allowed, then a district can choose which they want to do. But they can not decide on an option not given.

But here, since you don’t want to believe me, here is a summary of the changes made at the end of the June. And it clearly says that if the health director allows it, a school MUST provide some in person learning.
F785726C-F6D6-4162-8667-6F1C8CC8A692.jpeg

Now this whole thing may be a moot point because my county is expected to be put on the state watch list by the end of the week, which may change it all. But for now, MY county is telling schools to plan for a hybrid model, where only medical fragile children can do 100 % remote learning.

I don’t want to start a home schooling debate here, I’m just concerned that so many parents who all of a sudden say “I’m going to home school now“. Are you qualified to do this? Yes, in my opinion one should be qualified in order to educate a child.Qualified can be a broad definition And unique for each household. It just makes me sad that education is a victim of Covid for many reasons
No I’m not. At all. Which leaves me in a really hard place because I’m also not comfortable sending my kids in to what feels like a half baked hybrid model.

We have just over a month until school starts, which is an eternity in COVID time, so I’m hoping to see better plan from our district - but I also get their hands are tied right now because they’re waiting on guidance.

I agree with you, the hit to education sucks. Because no matter how it’s done, it’s going have problems. Kids are going to struggle.

I can speak for my family.
My grand kids will be home schooled by DD, their aunt, and she has a master's in teaching, so highly qualified.
She has some amazing programs ready to go. Waiting for a couple to arrive and then they will start.
She has a college friend that has home schooled for 8 years (also master in teaching) and she told her all the great programs and the ones to avoid.
I am all for this. If they kids were to go to physical school, DH and myself would not be able to see them since we are high risk.
DD is excited to do it because she doesn't want to go back working in any kind of physical building. She has been doing virtual tutoring since March when her building closed.
It will be great for DGD because she is ADHD and behind in some things. One on one will get her caught up (and hopefully ahead) and then when she goes back it will be a good new start for her

DD has only been done for a week so school doesn't start until Sept 8 here. But as of now, yes she will be going based on how we manage. Only 2 cases in our health region currently.

:oops::oops::oops: Our school has been out for 6 weeks already!

I am definitely not, which is why we are doing distance learning instead. I want access to the school resources and curriculum. This is only for the one school year. My kid goes back when this is over.

My kids have been done with their virtual learning year since May 8. They are scheduled to return August 19. The State gave their recommendations so now we are sitting and waiting to find out what our district will be doing. Area districts are all different - from options of virtual to hybrid schedules. Knock on wood, things have been pretty good in my area so I plan on sending mine back if we can unless something would change. If they go part time or virtual, we have already discussed options of me giving up/reducing my job.

We have a DD going into 10th and another going into 5th grade. Currently our county's school plan is this:
  • OPTION 1-Traditional School: Your child attends school in the school building with health and safety precautions in place (see below for additional information). Since your child is already enrolled in school, you do not need to take any action to choose this option.
  • OPTION 2-mySchool Online: This option is designed for families who would like to maintain their connection to their enrolled school but do not yet feel comfortable sending their child back to the school building in August. Students selecting this option must remain online until the end of a semester. The format will be similar in concept to what occurred online this spring but with several adjustments (see the table below).
    • Enrollment is for a minimum of one semester.
We are planning to do, at least, the 1st semester online and then decide about the 2nd semester later. I really like this plan because you are not committed to deciding on the whole year at the beginning, especially since we have no idea how things are going to be.

I'm encouraging my son to switch to a cyber school. He is a senior this coming year and our school district's standards require him to take 6 classes (5.5 credits) in the upcoming year. PA state standards only require him to take one more credit to graduate. Given that I am anticipating that this school year will be just as much of a fuster-cluck as last year was, I think it's best if he switches to cyber so that he can lighten his load. In cyber he would have to take just one English class (plus senior project, which is required in PA) and then he could be done with high school. I will not force him, but I am strongly talking up the idea. Wish me luck.

Normally I would say that the experience of senior year is an important one that shouldn't be missed, but my son has Asperger's and struggles with socializing. He's probably not planning to go to prom or any other dances, if those would even be offered this year, he has already told me he doesn't really care whether or not he participates in his extracurriculars (and those things will most likely not be offered this year anyway), and hangs out with the same group of friends that he has known all his life. He will still be able to socialize with those specific friends if he moves to cyber as they mostly "hang out" online while playing video games together. Plus I feel like the "normal" senior year experiences aren't going to happen this year anyway. Our district didn't even hold a graduation last year and unless there is a miracle that's not going to happen this year either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter