Are you upset if your interviewer is younger than you?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
Question is, would you have an issue with your interviewer being younger than you?

Edited to omit specifics as recommended.

Last edited:
He probably wasn't upset that you were younger than him exactly, more likely he just associates your age with inexperience so felt insulted that they sent someone he assumes to be at a more junior level to interview him. I've had people who interviewed for high level jobs tell me something similar before. Of course it's not fair but that may have been his perception. Still the fact he openly complained about it seems like his judgement is off in many ways.

Anyone who is being interviewed for a job and complains about the age of the interviewer would look foolish and obviously not familiar with how things currently operate. I am sure he will NOT get hired. People can also look older/younger than they are, so to be complaining about that is nonsense. Front desk security is NOT the HR department, so this guy was clueless about how things work in today's business world.

It looks like some pertinent information was removed. I assumed you were the older person being interviewed which prompted this question but the follow-up seems like it is the other way around. I care more about ability and experience than age. I'm young for my level so I suspect I get a few raised eyebrows in certain meetings and interviews but it would be foolish for an interviewee to actually verbalize that thought.

No. At my age, 45, and in a second career, I fully expect most of my co-workers/peers to be younger than me. It doesn't bother me at all and it's never been an issue.

One of my biggest jaw-droppers though, was realizing that one of the sub-contractors I work with is younger than my daughter! :O

I don't know the situation without the details, but it seems crazy to be bothered by that. Many times, multiple people will interview someone and the first meeting is almost always done by a gatekeeper - usually a more junior HR level. Those who make the cut progress to someone higher in HR, then the hiring mgr - and maybe other dept heads, VPs, C level to get their take.

It's hard to answer without referring to the details you posted earlier, but I'll try not to get too specific.

Feeling a little awkward, internally, about being interviewed by someone much younger? Yeah, I can see how that could happen. I had that moment when I started a new job in my mid-30s and my assigned mentor was 10 years younger than I was. It was weird for about 15 minutes and then I forgot about it.

Complaining to someone about it *at the company you're applying to?* Aiieeeeee, no! I would take that resume out into the parking lot and burn it. :rotfl:

In all seriousness, that speaks of someone who's going to have a problem taking direction from, or even working with, younger employees. I've seen this happen in my own line of work, and man, it gets ugly.

I mean I would say it could be almost normal in certain lines of work. There are certain positions where someone may basically stay at the same level most of their lives. For example, a payroll clerk or an accounts payable person. It is very likely that if they are several years into their career the person who is supervising them will be younger. Or even in retail. My husband recently retired from his real career and now has a few "hobby jobs." All of his supervisors are younger than he is.

When you are 59 it is par for the course. Of course I have no real plans of changing jobs or careers prior to retiremnt so it is not really an issue. I have been in the same business for 37 years and have learned to not let those type of things bother me as most in my company retire by 60 so I am in the oldest guy in the room phase of my career anyway. I like to think that they see me as the old sage of the group.

I haven't had that situation yet, but I've been the "younger interviewer" before. No one ever seemed to have a problem with it.

I'm reaching an age where most of the admin that were in place when I was hired are retiring and being replaced by people younger than me. I think at some point that's going to be a likely scenario for most people. It might be a little awkward if the interviewer was a lot younger than me, but if I have respect for their abilities as an administrator I'd be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!