Ariels Grotto or Goofy's Kitchen for dinner?

deedeetoo

DIS Veteran
One of the days we will be at DL will be dd's 7th birthday. We'd like to do a character dinner to help make it special. We are leaning toward Ariel's Grotto because it in the parks and it seems to be less expensive. Does this seem like a good choice?

I like Ariel's Grotto (Now called Captain Mickey's or something like that) the food has been good and the interior of the place is interesting and the tables are not crammed together. The character interaction has been fine but not extemly varied.
The food at Goofy's Kitchen has always been very good. There is more to choose from than at Ariel's and while the interior decore is nice it is not quite as fun. BUT there were many more characters that came by the table and they spent quite a bit of time with us.

Both are great but it would be easier to stay in DCA.

I haven't done either but from what I've read Goofy's kitchen is a buffet and Ariel's Grotto is a sit down meal.

I'm sure someone else will chime in!

We've booked Goofy's kitchen for a character breakfast and Ariel's Grotto for a lunch.

-Sally :earsgirl:

It's a matter of taste. I much prefer Goofy's, but I can see why others might prefer Ariel's. I'm not a big fan of the food at Ariel's; there's not a lot to choose from, what we had was not particularly exciting, and pretty much everything seemed to be loaded with fats and/or carbs. (When we went, my son had meatloaf; he loves meatloaf but found Ariel's meatloaf a bit bland. I had a pasta dish and found it OK but boring. I believed they also offered a cheeseburger, a potpie dish, and around 2 other choices. All meals come with a small green salad, and a choice of deserts. The deserts were pretty good) At Goofy's, I feel like I can eat relatively healthy, and there's something for everyone's taste. (Fairly standard but good buffet fare including roast beef, fish, chicken & pork dishes, lasagna, a variety of veges, a salad bar, soup, desert bar, kids bar area with standard kid's fare, etc.) Ariel's offers a nice location, but it's nice to pay a visit to the DLH during a trip. Both places offer good character interaction, although I tend to like to variety and the interaction of characters at Goofy's better.

I celebrated my DS's birthday at Goofy's several years where they did some special things (for a cost). It was fun, but I don't know what they currently offer. You might want to ask other posters or call Disney and see what options you have for birthday celebrations these days.

CalGal said:
I celebrated my DS's birthday at Goofy's several years where they did some special things (for a cost). It was fun, but I don't know what they currently offer. You might want to ask other posters or call Disney and see what options you have for birthday celebrations these days.

What special things are you talking about....just curious since we will be doing Goofy's for my daughter's 5th Bday next month. I ordered the bucket but is there more?

The main thing I remember was that they put a colorful paper tablecloth on the table, sprinkled with confetti. The characters scribbled on the table cloth and gave my son even more attention than usual. I think there were other party favors, and I think I remember a polaroid type photo taken and a candle stuck in some desert. I can't remember what else; it was quite a few years ago. It's probably a little different now. I've seen lots of birthday's at GK over the years, but I don't remember seeing any birthday celebrations at Ariel. They probably do something similar.

I do remember my son getting a button stating that it was his birthday. He actually got it when we checked in at the DLH (I think Goofy gave it to him when we met him at check-in and told him we were going to visit GK's for my son's birthday). The button got my son all kinds of special attention throughout the day from lots of characters and cast members. I believe he got another birthday button at his GK party.

If I remember right there is a new Princess thing on Main Street there was a thread about it before. If your DD is anything like mine she would love this. There is also a birthday party there where they get to decorate their own cake. I'm sure the Disneyland website will have all the info you need. :genie: :disrocks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter