Arizona/Utah May 2017 - Trip Report - updated 7/22/17 (Day 3)

CJinMD

Mouseketeer
Welcome to my first trip report! We went on the Arizona/Utah ABD trip May 24-31 2017 - this was our first ABD trip, and hopefully not last! Traveling in my family was me, DH, and our two boys - ages 8 and 6. Our ABD group consisted of only 12 people total, with our kids being the only Junior Adventurers. The others in our group were two retired couples, a couple in their late 30s/early 40s, and a father/son (freshman in college). We had two guides, Troy and Mike, who I cannot say enough wonderful things about. :)

I didn't take a ton of pics of the hotels because I was not intending to write a report, but you can easily find pics of those online.

We flew to PHX from Baltimore on an early flight, landing in Phoenix at 9:30 am, PHX time. We got off the plane and were greated by Mike right at the entrance of baggage claim. We were the first to arrive. He informed us that everybody was due to arrive early, so we could probably leave the airport earlier than the posted time of 1:30. He walked over to baggage claim with us and helped us with our bags. He took them away and told us we would see them again once we got to The Enchantment in Sedona - awesome! Since it was lunch time (back in Baltimore), we were pretty hungry. We decided on some pizza, at the suggestion of Mike. Once we finished eating, we made our way back to baggage claim to see if the rest of our group had arrived, and they had. I think we ended up leaving the airport about 11:30 or so. Mike and Troy showed us to our "stage coach" for the week, and we were excited that we still had the full size bus for just the 12 of us! Plenty of room to spread out!

enhance

DSCN4756.JPG

enhance

After leaving the airport, Mike and Troy had us stop to check out one of the Saguaro cacti up close. It was a quick stop to just take some pics, but long enough for my oldest to slip and put his hand right onto the cactus. Needless to say, we got the award for the fastest use of the first aid kit ever on trip.

enhance

After our quick stop at the cactus, we reboarded the bus and started on our way to Montezuma's Castle, which was about an 1.5 drive. On the way, Mike and Troy pointed out the changing scenery and gave us an overview of how the trip would work and what to expect. I have to say, every drive went very quickly because looking out the window at everything was spectacular!

Once we arrived at Montezuma's Castle, mostly every one took the chance to use the restroom (yes, there one on the bus, but try to save that for emergencies only...). After the group was all back together, Troy lead us to an outdoor "lecture" area where he gave us some information about the history and geography of the area. It was very interesting! Mike also surprised the boys by giving them junior passport books for the national parks. Make sure you have passport books to get your stamps!

DSCN4802.JPG

DSCN4839.JPG

After we learning about the area, we had about an hour or so to explore on our own before heading back to the bus and making our way to Sedona. Because we left the airport early, we had some time to kill before we were able to check into the Enchantment. We made a quick stop at Bell Rock to do a mini hike. It was our first real time to see the beautiful red rocks of the area, and this stop did not disappoint!!

enhance

enhance

DSCN2334.JPG

Finally it was time to make our way to The Enchantment! This resort is truly amazing, and check in was super easy and fast. Since we had some time before dinner, we decided to check out the pool area.

enhance

Dinner was all together that night - the Welcome Dinner. There was beer and wine to drink, and dinner consisted of make your own fajitas, nachos, etc. They did also bring the boys some chicken tenders. After introductions and eating, there was entertainment, which consisted of music and stories from the Hopi tribe.

DSCN2341.JPG

DSCN2343.JPG

enhance

We went to sleep a bit early, around 9:00 - everyone was tired from a full day of traveling and exploring, and the next morning there was an optional sunrise hike that I really wanted to do.

I will post day 2 soon!

Great first day! We are going on this same trip, but not until May 2018! :( Looking forward to your next report. Thanks.

I look forward to following along. I really loved this adventure and am constantly mentally plotting for another.

Looking forward to seeing how much the trip has (or hasn't!) changed. 12 people! How wonderful!

Sayhello

I can't wait to read the rest of this report. My wife and I are always saying we need to spend more time exploring the US. We booked the Montana ABD trip for next year but this itinerary is lurking on our To Do list at some point.

Thanks for posting your report too. And Thanks for the great memories we have from taking this trip a number of years ago.

Welcome to my first trip report! We went on the Arizona/Utah ABD trip May 24-31 2017 - this was our first ABD trip, and hopefully not last! Traveling in my family was me, DH, and our two boys - ages 8 and 6. Our ABD group consisted of only 12 people total, with our kids being the only Junior Adventurers. The others in our group were two retired couples, a couple in their late 30s/early 40s, and a father/son (freshman in college). We had two guides, Troy and Mike, who I cannot say enough wonderful things about. :)

I didn't take a ton of pics of the hotels because I was not intending to write a report, but you can easily find pics of those online.

We flew to PHX from Baltimore on an early flight, landing in Phoenix at 9:30 am, PHX time. We got off the plane and were greated by Mike right at the entrance of baggage claim. We were the first to arrive. He informed us that everybody was due to arrive early, so we could probably leave the airport earlier than the posted time of 1:30. He walked over to baggage claim with us and helped us with our bags. He took them away and told us we would see them again once we got to The Enchantment in Sedona - awesome! Since it was lunch time (back in Baltimore), we were pretty hungry. We decided on some pizza, at the suggestion of Mike. Once we finished eating, we made our way back to baggage claim to see if the rest of our group had arrived, and they had. I think we ended up leaving the airport about 11:30 or so. Mike and Troy showed us to our "stage coach" for the week, and we were excited that we still had the full size bus for just the 12 of us! Plenty of room to spread out!

enhance

View attachment 249512

enhance

After leaving the airport, Mike and Troy had us stop to check out one of the Saguaro cacti up close. It was a quick stop to just take some pics, but long enough for my oldest to slip and put his hand right onto the cactus. Needless to say, we got the award for the fastest use of the first aid kit ever on trip.

enhance

After our quick stop at the cactus, we reboarded the bus and started on our way to Montezuma's Castle, which was about an 1.5 drive. On the way, Mike and Troy pointed out the changing scenery and gave us an overview of how the trip would work and what to expect. I have to say, every drive went very quickly because looking out the window at everything was spectacular!

Once we arrived at Montezuma's Castle, mostly every one took the chance to use the restroom (yes, there one on the bus, but try to save that for emergencies only...). After the group was all back together, Troy lead us to an outdoor "lecture" area where he gave us some information about the history and geography of the area. It was very interesting! Mike also surprised the boys by giving them junior passport books for the national parks. Make sure you have passport books to get your stamps!

View attachment 249537

View attachment 249538

After we learning about the area, we had about an hour or so to explore on our own before heading back to the bus and making our way to Sedona. Because we left the airport early, we had some time to kill before we were able to check into the Enchantment. We made a quick stop at Bell Rock to do a mini hike. It was our first real time to see the beautiful red rocks of the area, and this stop did not disappoint!!

enhance

enhance

View attachment 249543

Finally it was time to make our way to The Enchantment! This resort is truly amazing, and check in was super easy and fast. Since we had some time before dinner, we decided to check out the pool area.

enhance

Dinner was all together that night - the Welcome Dinner. There was beer and wine to drink, and dinner consisted of make your own fajitas, nachos, etc. They did also bring the boys some chicken tenders. After introductions and eating, there was entertainment, which consisted of music and stories from the Hopi tribe.

View attachment 249554

View attachment 249555

enhance

We went to sleep a bit early, around 9:00 - everyone was tired from a full day of traveling and exploring, and the next morning there was an optional sunrise hike that I really wanted to do.

I will post day 2 soon!
Great trip report and the pictures are fantastic!

I know this was discussed on another thread, but just wanted to get some clarifications. Should I bring my hiking boots or are there hiking type sneakers that will work? We were just in Orange County California and hiked at Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. I was slipping like crazy in my walking shoes (Abeo Light). We had no plans on hiking, we were there for a wedding but stayed a few extra days and played tourist (LA, Hollywood, Sand Diego, Laguna Beach etc.) so I didn't bring appropriate hiking shoes, but I do now know that the Abeo Light's definitely won't work for the Arizona/Utah hiking part of the trip. I may just bring my hiking boots but would also like recommendations for non slip sneakers.

I know this was discussed on another thread, but just wanted to get some clarifications. Should I bring my hiking boots or are there hiking type sneakers that will work? We were just in Orange County California and hiked at Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. I was slipping like crazy in my walking shoes (Abeo Light). We had no plans on hiking, we were there for a wedding but stayed a few extra days and played tourist (LA, Hollywood, Sand Diego, Laguna Beach etc.) so I didn't bring appropriate hiking shoes, but I do now know that the Abeo Light's definitely won't work for the Arizona/Utah hiking part of the trip. I may just bring my hiking boots but would also like recommendations for non slip sneakers.
Well, I would say if you were slipping in your Abeo's in Laguna, they are *definitely* not appropriate for Arches. The ground there is called "slick rock". You don't need full-blown hiking boots, but something with some good traction is definitely called for. I *had* lightweight hikers, so I used those, but really sturdy sneakers could work also.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, I don't really want to have to wear hiking boots - with the heat and they of course are heavier then I'd like for the summer. We had no idea that we would be walking on all those rocks on the the Laguna trail, It wasn't rocky when we first started out but then your'e walking on nothing but rocks and it gets very narrow on the way up. We will probably go to The walking company and/or Dicks Sporting Goods to see what they have - but I'll still probably bring my hiking boots ugh!

It is interesting to see that your first dinner was outside. Ours was inside. Maybe due to the heat? or size of our group vs your group. Either way it was a very good dinner.

While I have not taken this ABD trip, I have just recently completed a Grand Circle Utah National Parks trip. In May - Sept: The sun is *HOT* (find a light weight hat). The air is *HOT* (stay in the shade). The pavement can be extremely *HOT*. Off pavement, the trails are sandy and the sand can be extremely *HOT*. So - absolutely no open toed shoes like keens. If you get sand in your keens, your feet may get burned. Hiking sneakers with crew socks should be fine. Find a light weight wool blend sock. Personally, I prefer mid length hiking shoes. A bit more support and it helps keep grass, sand and dirt out of the socks. Non water proof air breathing Merrel MOAB II hiking sneakers or mid boots are good. ADB probably did less hiking that I did - so the hiking sneakers are probably fine - you can wear them everywhere. Suppose you go to Arches NP and walk to the windows and/or double arch. A few bits of these trails are paved. Much is not. Very easy hike - but you could be in the sun for an hour to 90 min. You can easily drink 1.5 L of water. If you don't - you won't be happy. If you do drink drink drink - you'll be fine even at 100F.

While I have not taken this ABD trip, I have just recently completed a Grand Circle Utah National Parks trip. In May - Sept: The sun is *HOT* (find a light weight hat). The air is *HOT* (stay in the shade). The pavement can be extremely *HOT*. Off pavement, the trails are sandy and the sand can be extremely *HOT*. So - absolutely no open toed shoes like keens. If you get sand in your keens, your feet may get burned. Hiking sneakers with crew socks should be fine. Find a light weight wool blend sock. Personally, I prefer mid length hiking shoes. A bit more support and it helps keep grass, sand and dirt out of the socks. Non water proof air breathing Merrel MOAB II hiking sneakers or mid boots are good. ADB probably did less hiking that I did - so the hiking sneakers are probably fine - you can wear them everywhere. Suppose you go to Arches NP and walk to the windows and/or double arch. A few bits of these trails are paved. Much is not. Very easy hike - but you could be in the sun for an hour to 90 min. You can easily drink 1.5 L of water. If you don't - you won't be happy. If you do drink drink drink - you'll be fine even at 100F.
Thanks Superspectral for your input: I will check out the Merrell MOAB II hiking sneakers and make sure I bring light weight wool blend socks.

Thanks Superspectral for your input: I will check out the Merrell MOAB II hiking sneakers and make sure I bring light weight wool blend socks.
This is perfect! The reviews are great and they are light weight!

Attachments

• 41z4JSH2-AL._AC_US200_.jpg
    41z4JSH2-AL._AC_US200_.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 11
I went back to my trip report to see what type of footwear I wore for our hike to the Delicate Arch--running sneakers. No one in our group wore hiking shoes, but we all had good athletic shoes.

I went back to my trip report to see what type of footwear I wore for our hike to the Delicate Arch--running sneakers. No one in our group wore hiking shoes, but we all had good athletic shoes.

We had a mix... My husband did switch to his running shoes that had more traction version a pair that was thinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter