Arriving a few days early for our ABD trip.

Ron from Michigan

DIS Veteran
We will be arriving a few days early for our ABD trip that starts on December 2. We will be staying at the Loews Hollywood hotel. I'm looking for ideas on things to do and places to dine around the L.A. area. One of the things I have planned is to visit the Grove/Farmers market area. Since we are huge Disney fans we are doing to visit Walt's grave one day. We have been to Hollywood before so have done things in the area Chinese Theater etc. Thanks Ron

What are your interests or the interests of the people in your group (how many, ages?)? And what kind of food do you like? Budget? Will you have a car or will you be using Uber/Lyft/taxi? Give us some more details and we can give you lots more suggestions!

Walking distance to your hotel (right next door, in fact) is the Hollywood & Highland shopping center (location of the Dolby Theater where the Academy Awards are held -- you can take a tour of the theater, Hollywood Sign photo op on an upper level, Walk of Fame out front, Chinese Theater next door, Jimmy Kimmel tapes across the street, Hollywood bus tours leave from out front, etc.). Disney's El Capitan Theatre is across the street from that -- you might catch a movie ("Ralph Wrecks the Internet" might be playing then) -- certain evening performances have a live organ player. Those things are all within easy reach of your hotel.

What are your interests or the interests of the people in your group (how many, ages?)? And what kind of food do you like? Budget? Will you have a car or will you be using Uber/Lyft/taxi? Give us some more details and we can give you lots more suggestions!

Walking distance to your hotel (right next door, in fact) is the Hollywood & Highland shopping center (location of the Dolby Theater where the Academy Awards are held -- you can take a tour of the theater, Hollywood Sign photo op on an upper level, Walk of Fame out front, Chinese Theater next door, Jimmy Kimmel tapes across the street, Hollywood bus tours leave from out front, etc.). Disney's El Capitan Theatre is across the street from that -- you might catch a movie ("Ralph Wrecks the Internet" might be playing then) -- certain evening performances have a live organ player. Those things are all within easy reach of your hotel.

Thanks for the quick reply theluckyrabbit, It will be my wife and myself both early 60's. We will have a car. are interests are broad. We enjoying sightseeing, museum's etc. Any suggestion would be appreciated. We have visited Hollywood & Highland, walk of fame , Chinese Theater before. We enjoy any type of food budget or fine dining. I'm looking for places that are unique to the LA area. Thanks again

You should check out my trip report of my June 2018 trip. I did 3 days 1 park at Disneyland and stayed in an AirBnB in Hollywood for 7 days https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...es-i-survived-with-no-maxpass-no-car.3692412/

Thanks for the link. I will read your report shortly.

Thanks for the quick reply theluckyrabbit, It will be my wife and myself both early 60's. We will have a car. are interests are broad. We enjoying sightseeing, museum's etc. Any suggestion would be appreciated. We have visited Hollywood & Highland, walk of fame , Chinese Theater before. We enjoy any type of food budget or fine dining. I'm looking for places that are unique to the LA area. Thanks again...

Have you visited the Getty Museum? There is the Getty Museum and the Getty Villa -- both are really lovely. Both have restaurants (the museum restaurant is quite good for a museum, with a nice view of the ocean -- reservations would help there). We love dining at the Villa -- such an unusual setting, up on a hill, overlooking the ocean (Malibu). Both museums require parking reservations -- you can look on the website.
L.A. has wonderful restaurants -- if budget isn't an issue, near-ish your hotel (off the top of my head):
Animal (one of our favorites!), Jon & Vinny, Mozza (the Osteria, the Pizzeria, Chi Spacca -- take your pick!), Odys & Penelope, Bludso's BBQ
If Disney history is a key interest: Tam O'Shanter in the Los Feliz area -- Walt used to dine here regularly. Ask for his table or at least ask to see it.
Authentic ethnic food is a forte in L.A. -- from taco trucks to high end gourmet, there is so much to choose from. Have you seen the documentary "City of Gold"? Great intro to L.A. as a food city. The food writer/critic, Jonathan Gold, subject of the film, recently passed away -- our city is still in mourning.
At the Farmer's Market -- if you like Mexican food, try Loteria for Mexico City style -- delicious! (Bob's Donuts are great, too, if dessert calls!), DuPar's has great pancakes
Across the street from the Farmer's Market is Mendocino Farms -- get the pork belly bahn mi sandwich -- get it to go, then hit LACMA down on Wilshire -- enjoy your sandwich while gazing at the Urban Light installation (the streetlights seen in "La La Land")
Just a start... feel free to ask more questions!

Last edited:
Have you visited the Getty Museum? There is the Getty Museum and the Getty Villa -- both are really lovely. Both have restaurants (the museum restaurant is quite good for a museum, with a nice view of the ocean -- reservations would help there). We love dining at the Villa -- such an unusual setting, up on a hill, overlooking the ocean (Malibu). Both museums require parking reservations -- you can look on the website.
L.A. has wonderful restaurants -- if budget isn't an issue, near-ish your hotel (off the top of my head):
Animal (one of our favorites!), Jon & Vinny, Mozza (the Osteria, the Pizzeria, Chi Spacca -- take your pick!), Odys & Penelope, Bludso's BBQ
If Disney history is a key interest: Tam O'Shanter in the Los Feliz area -- Walt used to dine here regularly. Ask for his table or at least ask to see it.
Authentic ethnic food is a forte in L.A. -- from taco trucks to high end gourmet, there is so much to choose from. Have you seen the documentary "City of Gold"? Great intro to L.A. as a food city. The food writer/critic, Jonathan Gold, subject of the film, recently passed away -- our city is still in mourning.
At the Farmer's Market -- if you like Mexican food, try Loteria for Mexico City style -- delicious! (Bob's Donuts are great, too, if dessert calls!), DuPar's has great pancakes
Across the street from the Farmer's Market is Mendocino Farms -- get the pork belly bahn mi sandwich -- get it to go, then hit LACMA down on Wilshire -- enjoy your sandwich while gazing at the Urban Light installation (the streetlights seen in "La La Land")
Just a start... feel free to ask more questions!

Thanks so much for the reply. The Getty museum sounds interesting. I am in the process of looking up the restaurants now. They all sound great. When we travel we always pick out local places to dine. We just returned from Nashville and ate at some great places. The pork belly bahn mi sandwich sounds amazing and than seeing the Urban light. We have been lucky enough to travel lots of places here in the states and Europe and always seek out local places. We will be eating at Tam O'Shanter on our ABD tour. If there is anyplace else you would recommend us visiting or seeing please let me know. Thanks Ron

I will add that at some places you'll notice a "no substitutions" policy on the menu. Animal is one of these places. Don't fear this! Trust the chef when you see this policy. Don't be afraid to ask the staff any and all questions about the menu before ordering so that you can be clear on what you'll be getting. I have food allergies and sensitivities, always ask about the menu, and have never run into a problem with the "no substitutions" policy at L.A. restaurants. Gjelina in Venice is famous for their "no substitutions" menu -- and the food there is fantastic.
Look into the Grand Central Market downtown. That is a very fun place with lots of good food stalls -- eating your way through there is quite an adventure! (The red line has a station at H&H by your hotel -- I think it stops by the Grand Central Market, too.) And definitely watch "City of Gold" -- sounds like it's right up your alley. :)

Last edited:

I will add that at some places you'll notice a "no substitutions" policy on the menu. Animal is one of these places. Don't fear this! Trust the chef when you see this policy. Don't be afraid to ask the staff any and all questions about the menu before ordering so that you can be clear on what you'll be getting. I have food allergies and sensitivities, always ask about the menu, and have never run into a problem with the "no substitutions" policy at L.A. restaurants. Gjelina in Venice is famous for their "no substitutions" menu -- and the food there is fantastic.
Look into the Grand Central Market downtown. That is a very fun place with lots of good food stalls -- eating your way through there is quite an adventure! (The red line has a station at H&H by your hotel -- I think it stops by the Grand Central Market, too.) And definitely watch "City of Gold" -- sounds like it's right up your alley. :)

I have brought up all of your suggestions and they all look amazing. Now to just pick a couple. :drinking:

We did some podcasts (audio) about things to do in the area. If you go to the sticky thread at the top of this board I put links to them there.

I have a trip report/video my daughter made. Sounds like you have done most of the things but maybe give you some suggestions. Not in the video but we ate at the Smokehouse restaurant up in Burbank right after the Warner Brothers Studio Tour. It was very good. We are doing a weekend 16th birthday trip in a few weeks. We are staying at the Loews again but was looking for somewhere for dinner. She was thinking of somewhere possibly at The Grove. Last time we just grabbed a sandwich at the Farmers Market. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
... We are doing a weekend 16th birthday trip in a few weeks. We are staying at the Loews again but was looking for somewhere for dinner. She was thinking of somewhere possibly at The Grove. Last time we just grabbed a sandwich at the Farmers Market. Any suggestions?

What kind of food does your daughter like? Since this is a special dinner, what kind of budget are you looking at? And how far are you willing to drive if you don't dine at the Grove? I'm sure we can come up with some fun suggestions for you.
Wait a minute -- Would she like to eat at a restaurant that was featured in "La La Land"? (Isn't she the one that loved that movie??) Look into Jar on Beverly. Great restaurant! Best pot roast (fancier than most, super tender and flavorful) and ice cream sundaes! Totally "Mad Men" decor. Good wine list. Very cool bar. We love that place.

Last edited:
What kind of food does your daughter like? Since this is a special dinner, what kind of budget are you looking at? And how far are you willing to drive if you don't dine at the Grove? I'm sure we can come up with some fun suggestions for you.
Wait a minute -- Would she like to eat at a restaurant that was featured in "La La Land"? (Isn't she the one that loved that movie??) Look into Jar on Beverly. Great restaurant! Best pot roast (fancier than most, super tender and flavorful) and ice cream sundaes! Totally "Mad Men" decor. Good wine list. Very cool bar. We love that place.
She is not picky. I don't want it to be super expensive as we have friends and family coming down and not sure of their budget. Yes, she is/was the Lala Land lover. I will show her this. Any suggestions for at the Grove in case she decides she for sure wants to eat there?

For the Grove, the Cheesecake Factory is great for group dinners. The menu is so big that everyone is sure to find something to please! Maggiano's Little Italy is popular for group dinners, too. For patio dining, there is a Marmalade Cafe that is part of the Farmer's Market. It is just across from the Grove (it almost looks like part of the Grove).

For the Grove, the Cheesecake Factory is great for group dinners. The menu is so big that everyone is sure to find something to please! Maggiano's Little Italy is popular for group dinners, too. For patio dining, there is a Marmalade Cafe that is part of the Farmer's Market. It is just across from the Grove (it almost looks like part of the Grove).
Thankyou. Will show her all these suggestions.

I think we are going to do Marmalade Cafe for dinner as we will have family joining us and I do not know their budget and it looks like it should be good for all and most importantly they let you do reservations. We have a Cheesecake Factory here and I know how hard a Friday evening is to get a table. Can we just park at the Grove and then walk over? One more question, somebody told my daughter about The Ivy in LA. Do you know anything about that? She was thinking maybe doing a late breakfast there since we arrive very late the night before and she said it looked special for her birthday. (I can't find exact menu prices so I am a little nervous) Thanks so much!

I think we are going to do Marmalade Cafe for dinner as we will have family joining us and I do not know their budget and it looks like it should be good for all and most importantly they let you do reservations... Can we just park at the Grove and then walk over? One more question, somebody told my daughter about The Ivy in LA. Do you know anything about that?..
For Marmalade Cafe, isn't it technically part of the Farmer's Market? Check the website for that and if the website says where to park. Yes, you can walk right over from the Grove (easy!), but they won't validate for Grove parking. So if your meal may take a while (and for a birthday dinner with family, it might), you might want to think about moving the car or parking at the Farmer's Market for dinner.
As for the Ivy, that is in Beverly Hills, so the prices will be $$$. I don't consider them to be super expensive, but for what the food is (and, personally, I think the Ivy is all about the celebrity factor and the food is fine, but overrated), I think the prices are inflated. You know: location, location, location! If I'm going to pay higher prices for my meal, then I want the meal to be worth it. Celebrities don't really factor into my menu choices. But that's just me... There are other restaurants that we like much better where we often see celebrities, but everyone is there for the food, not to be seen; so in that case, we find the food to be worth the price.

For Marmalade Cafe, isn't it technically part of the Farmer's Market? Check the website for that and if the website says where to park. Yes, you can walk right over from the Grove (easy!), but they won't validate for Grove parking. So if your meal may take a while (and for a birthday dinner with family, it might), you might want to think about moving the car or parking at the Farmer's Market for dinner.
As for the Ivy, that is in Beverly Hills, so the prices will be $$$. I don't consider them to be super expensive, but for what the food is (and, personally, I think the Ivy is all about the celebrity factor and the food is fine, but overrated), I think the prices are inflated. You know: location, location, location! If I'm going to pay higher prices for my meal, then I want the meal to be worth it. Celebrities don't really factor into my menu choices. But that's just me... There are other restaurants that we like much better where we often see celebrities, but everyone is there for the food, not to be seen; so in that case, we find the food to be worth the price.
Thank you! I will check out the parking situation for Grove since we will be eating dinner and most likely walking around for a bit after. We were thinking of taking her for a late breakfast in the morning and would only be the three of us. Do you have any suggestions for a breakfast? She would love celebrities but she liked the look of The Ivy. Any suggestions welcome.

I'm not really the best person to ask about celebrity sightings, since we really go out for the food and the celebrity sightings are happenstance (and mostly at dinner). But you might look into Joan's on Third (the original one) -- good food and lots of sightings. Little Dom's is fun for breakfast (occasional sightings). Square One has absolutely delicious breakfasts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!