Arthritis in knee?

3DisneyBuggs

DIS Veteran
My knee started hurting this weekend, its painful to bend, walk up and down stairs. I saw an orthopedic PA and had an xray done. There is inflammation and despite my age, some arthritis. Was given an NSAID and tbe offer if a cortizone shot. My Dh said I should see a surgeon and get an MRI. Im not sure what arthritis feels like if that makes sense. Disney trip is a week and a half away too. The PA said walking is good I know it is but it hurts! I took Motrin this morning and its minimally better. Any experience with this?

Its probably bursitis.
Its very painful like you think you tore something painful.
I would suggest taking Aleve/Naproxen.
I had knee pain from exercising that started very suddenly and that type of medication worked so immediate that its my go to for pains from exercise now since most seem to be in my joints.
I've had a cortisone shot for something before and it made the pain so much worse for a week and then I was back to where I was.
Porbably wouldn't suggest getting one this close to your trip unless you've had it before and know it works well for you.

Last edited:
My mom has had arthritis in her knees for years. Aleve helps her a lot with the pain. The shots do work for a while, so it may not be a bad idea to get one asap so it will be in effect for your trip.

Did they say anything about bike riding? That can help to limber things up a bit. I would also advise packing some of those pain patches or something like Icy Hot to help out.

I get a flare like this about once a year. It is arthritis and overuse. Personally I would have jumped on a cortisone shot if my doctor had offerred.

As humans, we start getting arthritis in our bones earlier than we think.

That said, you might have strained something, even unknowingly; if so, hopefully the pain will subside over the next week or two. Don't strain it any more, and keep up with your NSAID. Ice might help, too.

I never get knee pain, but the other day, climbing stairs, I noticed I had it, for the first time. Thankfully it's gone now. I'm sure I'm arthritic, we've seen it on XRays. But generally I don't feel it much. Ah, the joys of aging. :duck:

Just about every time I hurt something and I get an X-ray there are signs of "arthritis." It happened even when I was 16 and pulled a tendon in my foot. And I don't really have systemic arthritis.

If your pain came on suddenly, you most likely did something. If it's really bad, I wouldn't chalk it up to just arthritis. But you do need to give it some time because it could just be a strain of some sort and sometimes these things take weeks to calm down. I wouldn't rush to an MRI after one week unless you specifically know what you were doing that caused the pain and you think you make have torn your meniscus or a ligament.

You should take your doctor up on the offer for a shot given that you are going to Disney and cannot rest it. See how you feel in 6 weeks. Pain still there then? Go for the MRI.

Be prepared to get bags of ice if it hurts while you are on vacation. Ice works very well.

Ugh, yes I know how you feel. I would have a hard time kneeling down then getting back up, ouch!

My BIL told me about the supplements glucosamine and chondroitin and I started taking them in January. For me it was a miracle. After a week I had no more pain,none! My BIL thought I was a wack-a-doodle because he said it doesn't take effect that fast, takes more like a month. Well I don't care I'm telling you in a week my knee felt normal again. I was limping before and always laying around icing it. I do walk daily and really had to cut back on the amount of time and how fast I went because it just hurt too bad. Now I'm back to normal I can't freaking believe it. It's been a miracle for me. I just hope I don't get immune to it and it stops working, that would be horrible.

Perhaps the most important aspect of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements is that they are thought to help slow or prevent the degeneration of joint cartilage, the underlying cause of osteoarthritis pain. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate dietary supplements may also help alleviate existing jointpain.
Effectiveness of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for Osteoarthritis
https://www.spine-health.com/.../effectiveness-glucosamine-and-chondroitin-sulfate-oste...

Hey and another thing that would really help my knee too is doing yoga. I couldn't believe how stretching would help. I would do a 20 minute yoga for beginners video on you tube.

But we are all different so all you can do is try things to see what works for you. I think I'm at the beginning stages so that's why some of these things work quickly for me.

I did a WDW trip with a bad knee. By the time I got on the plane home I couldn't even bend that knee.
Long story short: I had Osteoarthritis and a Meniscus tear
Prescription, cortisone shot, arthroscopic surgery. It's been 17 years and I'm doing OK!

Bring your PAIN RELIEF, and an ICE BAG!

Arthritis would show up on an X-ray, not an MRI. If the cartilage in the knee joint is wearing away, X-ray will show it. MRI is good for soft tissue, such as torn meniscus.

My personal cardiologist and a client cardiologist of mine have said to stay away from NSAIDs, not heart friendly. They Suggest Tylenol/Acetaminophen.

After my knee replacement 4 years ago, all pain is gone in that knee. Now the other one is aching. :scratchin :tiptoe:

Arthritis would show up on an X-ray, not an MRI. If the cartilage in the knee joint is wearing away, X-ray will show it. MRI is good for soft tissue, such as torn meniscus.

My personal cardiologist and a client cardiologist of mine have said to stay away from NSAIDs, not heart friendly. They Suggest Tylenol/Acetaminophen.

After my knee replacement 4 years ago, all pain is gone in that knee. Now the other one is aching. :scratchin :tiptoe:
And Tylenol destroys your liver.
If meds aren't used for an extended period of time it's fine.
I have never in my life found pain relief with Tylenol especially if inflammation is the cause.

Last edited:
My husband has pretty bad arthritis in his knees. He gets a cortisone shot the week before we go to Disney and it makes the pain much more tolerable. He said it lasts him for 3 months.

Ugh, yes I know how you feel. I would have a hard time kneeling down then getting back up, ouch!

My BIL told me about the supplements glucosamine and chondroitin and I started taking them in January. For me it was a miracle. After a week I had no more pain,none! My BIL thought I was a wack-a-doodle because he said it doesn't take effect that fast, takes more like a month. Well I don't care I'm telling you in a week my knee felt normal again. I was limping before and always laying around icing it. I do walk daily and really had to cut back on the amount of time and how fast I went because it just hurt too bad. Now I'm back to normal I can't freaking believe it. It's been a miracle for me. I just hope I don't get immune to it and it stops working, that would be horrible.

Perhaps the most important aspect of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements is that they are thought to help slow or prevent the degeneration of joint cartilage, the underlying cause of osteoarthritis pain. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate dietary supplements may also help alleviate existing jointpain.
Effectiveness of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for Osteoarthritis
https://www.spine-health.com/.../effectiveness-glucosamine-and-chondroitin-sulfate-oste...

My DH went thru bottles of this stuff, did nothing for him. Glad it helped for you!

And Tylenol destroys your liver.
If meds aren't used for an extended period of time it's fine.
I have never in my life found pain relief with Tylenol especially if inflammation is the cause.

Aleve is great for muscle pain. Advil for headaches and the like. Tylenol is only if I'm on some other med and can't take the first two.

Though the extra strength Tylenol did do the trick after I had my gall bladder out. I had a bit of an allergic reaction the narcotic I was supposed to take along with the Tylenol, so I had to do Tylenol only.

I fell a few weeks ago. Day before a scheduled checkup with my orthopedic surgeon. Since I was complaining of knee pain from the fall (too old to be doing splits....) he did xrays. Said it showed a bit of arthritis & a possible meniscus tear. He prescribed some pain pills, diclofenac (anti imflammatory) & said if it still hurt in 3 days to come back for a shot & to come back in 4 weeks for a MRI if it was still bothering me. This was 1 week before our Disney trip.
I didn't go back for the shot and haven't had any more pain so went back for 4 week checkup & he said all was fine. No MRI, no torn menicus just a little arthritis.
I didn't have any problems at all walking around the parks.

Did want to add that there is a anti imflammatory cream (I believe it is a form of Diclofenac) that can be expensive depending on what your insurance will pay. I was prescribed this by a pain management doctor when I first had hip problems. My sister uses it now and calls it 'liquid gold', lol, but it is very effective.

Just starting my first experience with the orthopedic surgeon -- my DH was pushing me for surgery as well. But there's lots to go before you get to surgery, and knee replacements don't last but 10-15 years.

I have arthritis, as well as loss of cartilage on the inside of each knee, and was so crippled by the time I finally decided I needed a doctor that I didn't think there was anything that could be done. I'm also on an anti-inflammatory med.

Two weeks ago was my first appointment. Dr. looked at my X-rays and said, "But you're so young." (I'm 50, and have had knee trouble for at least 15 years). When he offered a cortisone shot, I took it in spite of feeling like some kind of drug addict. As I moved from the chair to the table, he said, "Oh, yeah, you need this shot."

But it literally (and I mean literally) changed my life, in less than 24 hours after the shot. I have no idea how I dealt with the pain for so long, and how much my personality has improved since the pain has left. Go get the shot. Seriously.

I have had both knees replaced. My advice is take the shot, start taking move free, if you are really in pain, take arthritis Tylenol and ice it. I have had good luck with mobic, so you can ask your doctor about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!