Article on AK's Kilimangaro Safari

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
Marc Spigense has a great article posted on Laughing Place that discusses the differences and similarities of a real African Safari & a Disney safari.www.laughingplace.com
I think it shows just how well Disney can still do things and how truly amazing AK & AKL are.

It seems to me that perhaps where Disney misses the mark is their understanding of current wants and needs of travelling Americans. The KS, while more bang for the buck, so to speak (animal wise) offers less viewing opportunity than some zoo's and despite the fact that these animals have a much better existence and are showcased in a false but very close facsimile of their natural habitat than the run of the mill zoo animal, these aspects are apparantely lost on many American travellers who grouse about how far away the lion is or why don't they ever run?, etc.

On the other side of the coin is Disney's current preoccupation with simple Americana & the basic level of entertainment (DinoRama, DCA & Pop Century). Is it possible that Disney management feels burned that their rather optimistic, dramatic & expensive attempt at imagineering was somewhat rebuffed so now we're getting DCA & Pop Century instead?
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I think disney has gone away from grandiose ideas and theme's in its theme parks, unless they are paid for by sponsors. They will pay for it in a resort because the payback will come sooner than in a theme park. They will add cheap attractions to their parks to save money and dont want to compete with a company like Universal who gives their guests cutting edge attractions like MIB,Spiderman, T23D etc.

at least two of the three examples you gave from that... other... place have big corporate sponsors, while Killy, one of the most extravagant attractions at WDW, has no corporate sponsorship (and is less than 5 years old).

If the following is true, Ei$ner & company are more lost than I previously believed....

On the other side of the coin is Disney's current preoccupation with simple Americana & the basic level of entertainment (DinoRama, DCA & Pop Century). Is it possible that Disney management feels burned that their rather optimistic, dramatic & expensive attempt at imagineering was somewhat rebuffed so now we're getting DCA & Pop Century instead?
People aren't upset at what EXISTS at DAK. They're upset at what DOESN'T exist at Animal kingdom. There just isn't enough for people to do there....thus the decline in attendance. Nothing more, nothing less.

And the concept of "they hated expensive, so let's save the money and give them cheap since they're still going to hate it" is a concept which will not keep the Disney company in business very long.

As for Kilomanjari....I really didn't know what to expect from it and it's probably my favorite part of AK (although I refuse to go there anymore). It is an example of what Disney can do when they devote the proper resources to a project.

You don't hand Michalangelo fingerpaints and expect him to reproduce the cistine chapel. Same with Imagineers. You don't hand them an off the shelf ride and the change from a $20 and expect Splash Mountain.

Here's a tech issue....I wasn't given credit for my final post and the topic didn't rise....argh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter