Artist Point

Well someone called disney and got a reply that of there were no plans to completely remove a signature experience from WL... which makes me wonder if this is going to be a 2-credit character meal a la the castle.... disney is pretty loose about what they consider "signature" and it is more based on DDP than actual food.
@Lisa F did you get any info on whether Artist Point will be open in December?

Well someone called disney and got a reply that of there were no plans to completely remove a signature experience from WL... which makes me wonder if this is going to be a 2-credit character meal a la the castle.... disney is pretty loose about what they consider "signature" and it is more based on DDP than actual food.
I've said it before: short of the brunch at CG, there is no such thing as a quality buffet. And while we love the brunch, I'd still call it a buffet/a la carte brunch at a Signature. You're correct in that Disney may think or even refer to AP as Signature if the expected changes come, but I further agree it would be based on the DDP spreadsheet than actual upscale dining. If the change to a three-meal character dining experience comes true, I will lose the last vestiges of being a Disney apologist. They are relentless in their pursuit of the dollar and it's ruining their reputation. Quoting myself, "Disney now aims for 'industry standard.' They used to SET the standard."

"Signature" character dining is like, "Here -shake hands with these giant stuffies while we heat up some frozen dinner trays. That'll be $500 please."

I'm guessing this means a character breakfast and a non-character signature dinner. Like how O'hana and Cape May Cafe have characters at breakfast only (though I know neither of those is even remotely close to signature level, I just mean in terms of switching from character to non-character).

@Lisa F did you get any info on whether Artist Point will be open in December?

Nope, I have no info whatsoever but they would be freaking nuts to not get what they're going to do done quickly and not have it open from thanksgiving on. It just seems that not having that restaurant open when people go specifically to the WL during the holiday season seems like a bad business decision... so I would guess that whatever they are doing will be done by then. Maybe there won't even be any downtime at all.

I've said it before: short of the brunch at CG, there is no such thing as a quality buffet. And while we love the brunch, I'd still call it a buffet/a la carte brunch at a Signature. You're correct in that Disney may think or even refer to AP as Signature if the expected changes come, but I further agree it would be based on the DDP spreadsheet than actual upscale dining. If the change to a three-meal character dining experience comes true, I will lose the last vestiges of being a Disney apologist. They are relentless in their pursuit of the dollar and it's ruining their reputation. Quoting myself, "Disney now aims for 'industry standard.' They used to SET the standard."

CRT is price fixed plated, so is la trattoria for breakfast... so there is already precedent for a fixed price TS meal with characters.

So are you ready for the next part of my theory? I'm thinking there will be toy story characters there, and being the only toy story character meal anywhere, they could probably target 2TS. How the food is I'm not sure but maybe closer to the old AP than something like WCC. The reason I think toy story characters is they just rolled out a pixar cupcake at roaring forks at WL. Which makes NO sense to be randomly there and not at other resorts (maybe even where more appropriate, like all star movies). I think they are laying the groundwork for the pixar tie in. MY theory only and haven't heard anything from anyone who even pretends to know anything. But remember, you heard it here first!

"Signature" character dining is like, "Here -shake hands with these giant stuffies while we heat up some frozen dinner trays. That'll be $500 please."

to be fair, their signature character dining actually has face characters (princesses). But by all reports the food is pretty mediocre, knowing that they don't have to step it up when they have princesses in the castle.

I'm guessing this means a character breakfast and a non-character signature dinner. Like how O'hana and Cape May Cafe have characters at breakfast only (though I know neither of those is even remotely close to signature level, I just mean in terms of switching from character to non-character).
While that totally makes sense and is kind of what everyone expected (breakfast added there a la 'Ohana) that is not what the current Rusty Scupper generated rumor is.

CRT is price fixed plated, so is la trattoria for breakfast... so there is already precedent for a fixed price TS meal with characters.
There is, indeed, and neither has food worthy of being considered Signature--in fact, the food at CRT is quite mediocre. . .except as you say a way of differentiating it on the DDP.

are you ready for the next part of my theory? I'm thinking there will be toy story characters there, and being the only toy story character meal anywhere, they could probably target 2TS. How the food is I'm not sure but maybe closer to the old AP than something like WCC. The reason I think toy story characters is they just rolled out a pixar cupcake at roaring forks at WL. Which makes NO sense to be randomly there and not at other resorts (maybe even where more appropriate, like all star movies). I think they are laying the groundwork for the pixar tie in. MY theory only and haven't heard anything from anyone who even pretends to know anything. But remember, you heard it here first!
Hmmm. It would kinda sorta make sense (though Buzz and some of the other toys don't fit the mold). So, if it does come true, I say we come back and start a thread entitled "Lisa F Said It Would Happen!" pirate:

Nope, I have no info whatsoever but they would be freaking nuts to not get what they're going to do done quickly and not have it open from thanksgiving on. It just seems that not having that restaurant open when people go specifically to the WL during the holiday season seems like a bad business decision... so I would guess that whatever they are doing will be done by then. Maybe there won't even be any downtime at all.
Yeah, it's just puzzling that during the present week, when people are making ADRs for Christmas week, it's not possible to reserve Artist Point for that time frame. By the time they finally open the ADRs, many guests may have lost interest and made other plans.

There is, indeed, and neither has food worthy of being considered Signature--in fact, the food at CRT is quite mediocre. . .except as you say a way of differentiating it on the DDP.

Hmmm. It would kinda sorta make sense (though Buzz and some of the other toys don't fit the mold). So, if it does come true, I say we come back and start a thread entitled "Lisa F Said It Would Happen!" pirate:

I haven't been to CRT in a decade (since my son was about 3 months old and unable to protest a meal with princesses) and I remember it being overpriced but not the explosion it is now in a post DDP world. But reviews make it look like wedding/banquet food... some slightly elevated ingredients (tenderloin over cheaper cuts of beef) but mass production.

No, I didn't mean trattoria was a signature but it is a plated meal that gets quite good reviews for food. It is probably one of the better character meals (for food) out there. I haven't been to that one either but the kiddo is interested in trying it based on the food reviews. That said, I do realize that "one of the better character meals for food" is a pretty low bar! But the BoG 2 credit fixed price thing also could be setting precedent for a dinner "signature" (yes I use that lightly) experience at AP. That said, I'd probably be up for it if it's not princesses being in the right demographic with a 10 year old son... but I'd probably not be doing that if it was an adult only trip.

I totally want all of the credit if it ends up being Toy Story... though others have suggested Woody's Roundup could be appropriate, I am the first one with the cupcake as definitive evidence theory!!!

Yeah, it's just puzzling that during the present week, when people are making ADRs for Christmas week, it's not possible to reserve Artist Point for that time frame. By the time they finally open the ADRs, many guests may have lost interest and made other plans.

Except that around Christmastime, things will sell out so I don't think they will have trouble selling out either. If it's Toy Story characters, that thing will book and quickly.

I'm traveling in January and staying for 4 nights at BRV in case anyone is wondering why I'm invested at all... I hope whatever they do, they do soon. I would love to try out a new character meal but hoping it is not priced a la CRT! Maybe it will be closer to BoG not having the premium location.

So are you ready for the next part of my theory? I'm thinking there will be toy story characters there, and being the only toy story character meal anywhere, they could probably target 2TS. How the food is I'm not sure but maybe closer to the old AP than something like WCC. The reason I think toy story characters is they just rolled out a pixar cupcake at roaring forks at WL. Which makes NO sense to be randomly there and not at other resorts (maybe even where more appropriate, like all star movies). I think they are laying the groundwork for the pixar tie in. MY theory only and haven't heard anything from anyone who even pretends to know anything. But remember, you heard it here first!

ohhhhhhh.. am i the only one that hopes that this is true!!!!!!! We will be there the 2nd week of December.. a Toy Story meal would be amazing!!! Buzz and Woody are my DS's favorite!!!

ohhhhhhh.. am i the only one that hopes that this is true!!!!!!! We will be there the 2nd week of December.. a Toy Story meal would be amazing!!! Buzz and Woody are my DS's favorite!!!
I hope so too, we are there in January! Though I would be fine with just a breakfast and leaving AP alone for dinner service!

I totally want all of the credit if it ends up being Toy Story... though others have suggested Woody's Roundup could be appropriate, I am the first one with the cupcake as definitive evidence theory!!!

Oops. Sorry, Lisa. I remember reading this on another thread I'm "watching" because the characters sounded fun.
brewhome said this on the other thread "hey could theme it as Woody's Round Up from Toy Story... then you could have the antics WCC is known for and characters to boot - Woody, Jesse, the Prospector... they could even keep the same" Here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/latest-artist-point-and-whispering-canyon-rumors.3687598/page-5

I think you can keep the cupcake theory credit though. But we might have to give the nod for the characters to brewhome. :flower3:

Going elsewhere - WL no longer has a real SIG. Fortunately? CABS to the GF and Contemporary are fairly cheap....

I've rung them today about this as we are off to the Wilderness Lodge on Honeymoon (29th Oct - 12th Nov) and chose Wilderness Lodge because of Artist Point and the memories I've shared with my future husband there - I'll be devastated if its closed (and really miffed as we would have gone to Animal Kingdom Lodge if we knew and now it's too late!). The very nice lady in Dining assured me they had nothing on any of their systems (she put me on hold a fair few times and did seem to be properly asking about) and that the spaces to reserve there "just haven't opened up yet" and "some restaurants do that".

So I've got everything thoroughly crossed!!

I've rung them today about this as we are off to the Wilderness Lodge on Honeymoon (29th Oct - 12th Nov) and chose Wilderness Lodge because of Artist Point and the memories I've shared with my future husband there - I'll be devastated if its closed (and really miffed as we would have gone to Animal Kingdom Lodge if we knew and now it's too late!). The very nice lady in Dining assured me they had nothing on any of their systems (she put me on hold a fair few times and did seem to be properly asking about) and that the spaces to reserve there "just haven't opened up yet" and "some restaurants do that".

So I've got everything thoroughly crossed!!

Not to freak you out, but I don't think any of that is true. They have something going on. Now they may open up spots at some point for your trip if their plans are delayed but it could very well be under refurbishment since your trip is right at the beginning of the period of closure.

Maybe you can explain your situation to guest services and get a free minnie van over to AKL for a nice dinner or something. Though I'm sure the fine print says that nothing is ever guaranteed anywhere, it doesn't hurt to explain your disappointment and see if they can make it a little better.

Not to freak you out, but I don't think any of that is true. They have something going on. Now they may open up spots at some point for your trip if their plans are delayed but it could very well be under refurbishment since your trip is right at the beginning of the period of closure.

Maybe you can explain your situation to guest services and get a free minnie van over to AKL for a nice dinner or something. Though I'm sure the fine print says that nothing is ever guaranteed anywhere, it doesn't hurt to explain your disappointment and see if they can make it a little better.

Oh no, honestly I will be devastated as it was such a close run thing between booking WL and booking the AK hotel and having Artists Point was the tipper. I don't want to throw my toys out of the pram and try to move hotels now just in case, but even if I did I don't think Disney would be able to move me? :/

Oh no, honestly I will be devastated as it was such a close run thing between booking WL and booking the AK hotel and having Artists Point was the tipper. I don't want to throw my toys out of the pram and try to move hotels now just in case, but even if I did I don't think Disney would be able to move me? :/

I would be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. It would be a shame for something like that to ruin your whole vacation. Surely there are lovely memories to be made at other wonderful restaurants as well!

I would be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. It would be a shame for something like that to ruin your whole vacation. Surely there are lovely memories to be made at other wonderful restaurants as well!

Oh I know - it will still be lovely! Just sad when you've planned something and got your heart set on it, you know? :) Thank you for your help. :)

Oh I know - it will still be lovely! Just sad when you've planned something and got your heart set on it, you know? :) Thank you for your help. :)
Yeah I know, believe me. I find I deal better with things when I'm prepared, so at least now you can properly set your expectations. And if they are open, EVEN BETTTER!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter