at what point do you stop getting a DAS for your child?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP stated that her son could wait for at least 20 minutes and probably longer, and that they made a 2 week trip without it. That seemed to indicate that it wasn't needed. If OP finds it is needed, she can get one, but it shouldn't be used simply to increase enjoyment.

I don't think the original poster was ever suggesting that and the fact she started this post proves that she worried about it and if she worried my advice is 100% to get it. As she obviously not completely sure if he is going to be fine as if she were she wouldn't have asked for advice.

Now I am by no means an expert on this as I said my son was only diagnosed last year just before he turned 3, but what I have learn't over that short time that if you met one ASD person, you've only met one ASD person and thing can change at a drop of a hat. What was okay one time is not okay the next time.

So actually @Jperiod you know your son best and you know your holiday requirement. So my new revised advice is to ignore us all (well apart from this bit lol :rotfl:) and do what you feel is best for your son and only for your son.

As everyone is entitle to their input, if you ask the question, but at the end of the day you don't have to take any of it on board :thumbsup2

Last edited:
It's not about a more enjoyable time, it's about functioning. My non-ASD child doesn't like lines, but he will stand in them. He may whine, he may fidget, he may dance around, he may act like any other young child who needs to wait. My ASD child will actually shut down. Hands on ears, in a ball on the floor, or frozen in space, screaming. It's not a matter of enjoyment, it's a matter of overwhelming to the point of complete meltdown.

As for the original question, I'd say that when you find yourself relying on the DAS more than your child, then it's probably time to stop getting it. It's easy to fall into that pattern, even if he just needs it sporadically. We try to be mindful to use it when he NEEDS it, not when he (or us) WANTS it. Not sure if that makes sense.

I apologize if anyone thinks that I am trying to downplay the struggles that children with autism face. That is certainly not my goal. This is obviously a very sensitive topic and I am in no way trying to say that an autistic child should be forced into a situation that is likely to cause them to shut down, be in physical pain from sensory overload, etc. Absolutely, if someone has doubts on their child's ability to function through a queue, then get a DAS. But in regards to the question of whether or not the goal should always be to work toward getting the child off assistance, I think that should always be the goal. Not everyone with autism will ever make it to that point, and just because they can make it through certain queues doesn't mean they will make it through all. But I do feel that it is always important to gently push those children who are tolerating things better to continue progressing. Of course, if you find that it isn't working, then employ the DAS for that ride, but as many on here have acknowledged, there's often a fine line between determining that assistance is truly needed for a particular queue and using that assistance as a crutch.

My comments on enjoyment were in regards to the comment of:
"I simply meant that if utilizing the DAS makes his vacation experience more like a typical person's experience (measured by enjoyment level, not by actual experiences), then it is still appropriate for him to use it as needed. Because let's face it, it's not really just for "access to the attractions for people otherwise could not access the attraction through the queue" because that would limit DAS to just people with mobility difficulties. We can force our kids through the queue, but it would significantly reduce the enjoyment level of the child, the family, as well as all the other guests in the vicinity."
I understand that that comment may not be meant how I interpreted it, but it sounded like trying to justify using the DAS to better the enjoyment of the child and family. If the child is unable to wait in the queue without issues, then of course, use the DAS and yes, it will probably make the experience more enjoyable. But if the child is able to manage a 20-30 minute line without issues while playing a video game (and there's nothing in that queue itself to set the child off), then it does seem like using the DAS on THAT PARTICULAR ride would be done solely for enjoyment purposes, and not because it was actually needed.

If the child cannot manage the length of the line, the queue itself, etc without breaking down, then DAS becomes a need for that particular attraction. When the child has gotten to the point where they can handle the length of the line and the queue without having issues, but you just like the flexibility of being able to do something else while waiting for the ride, or being able to schedule a return time when fastpasses are gone, or just enjoy not standing in line, the DAS appears to be a want, and not a need, since at that point, for that ride, the assistance is not needed for the child.

I by no means wish a poor vacation experience on anyone, but I disagree that the purpose of DAS is to increase enjoyment level. Enjoyment is a want, not a need. The idea of being given a return time to go in the fast pass lane would increase the enjoyment of many guests because they are then able to use the restroom, shop, have a snack, etc instead of waiting in the traditional queue where there's no access to any of these things. I also disagree that it's for anyone who has difficulty waiting in line as young kids and toddlers typically have a tough time standing and waiting in a long line. Toddlers (depending on age) are too young to understand why they're stuck in a line with a bunch of strangers and can't comprehend that there's a ride at the end of the line, or why they see the ride but can't go on it right away. They get overstimulated and scream, cry, and sometimes annoy other guests in lines. They would have more enjoyment from running around outside a queue before getting into a shorter fastpass line. It would be easier and more enjoyable for their parents physically and mentally as the stress of dealing with a cranky toddler tries their patience, plus if the toddler will not stand patiently without trying to run off, the parent then has to hold the toddler through the line as strollers aren't permitted in queues except when being used as a wheelchair for those with disabilities. In many cases it could improve the enjoyment of other guests as well as they then don't have to listen to a cranky toddler in line. But DAS isn't made for those who can wait but just have difficulty waiting or would enjoy the experience more waiting elsewhere.

Directly from Disney's Modified DAS FAQ:
"DAS is intended for Guests whose disability prevents them from waiting in a conventional queue environment." It also states, "The goal of DAS is to accommodate Guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability." It specifically states that it's for those guests whose disability prevents them from waiting. It seems to indicate that it is for those who would not be able to ride if they had to wait in the standby queue, thus a NEED for them to be able to even go on the ride. ADA requirements have never been about making enjoyment equal (especially since there is no "typical" enjoyment level as everyone's enjoyment of every aspect of life varies greatly), but providing access to things that those with disabilities would otherwise be unable to access.

I am in no way trying to say that those with disabilities don't have a tough time or that they shouldn't enjoy their vacation, merely that it is not the point of a DAS to provide that enjoyment.

Having has a cranky toddler in lines and now having a cranky 8-year-old in lines, I can tell you there is a big difference. I can carry the toddler. The 8-year-old can easily injure anyone in reach.

I had the same question as the original poster about my 8-year-old, who has been surrounded by services and improved behavior significantly. So I asked his therapists and doctors.

They ALL reminded me that he has had meltdowns 50% of mornings and that he has run away from a line (he tries to leave the area) at least once THIS WEEK alone. For me, he is doing so much better. But the truth is that I wouldn't know the queue was a danger to himself or others until the moment he tries to escape it, screaming, kicking, and hitting the entire time.

So I recommend that the original poster consult the experts who know your child. They can give you good guidelines as to when to use the pass and when not to.

But the truth is that I wouldn't know the queue was a danger to himself or others until the moment he tries to escape it, screaming, kicking, and hitting the entire time.

So true and that why saying:
(and there's nothing in that queue itself to set the child off)

Sometimes it isn't as simple as that;

As with some case the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and you might not know there is something that will set them off until your 15 mins into a 30 mins queue and a child having a meltdown can be a danger not only to themselves but people around them.

So that's why I am advocating erring on the side of caution is better than, hindsight say "oh well we know better next time" when you've created a seen of chaos and disorder ruining more that one families day, when there are systems in place to help.

Last edited:

Having has a cranky toddler in lines and now having a cranky 8-year-old in lines, I can tell you there is a big difference. I can carry the toddler. The 8-year-old can easily injure anyone in reach.

That would be quite a liability - knowing your child strikes out and could injure someone else. Has that child targeted strangers before?

No. He doesn't target at all. He just runs and pushes whoever out of the way. But as a toddler, doing that wouldn't hurt someone. As an 8-year-old, it could. I'm a lawyer, so I'm quite aware of the liability, which is why he is on medication, in counseling, and in group therapy. We've learned safe holds and did not book this trip until the doctors gave us the okay. But the risk of running (and all the physicality that goes with it) is there, which is why we are opting for the DAS. He's really good - at this point - about saying "I need a timeout somewhere." But that's only because we actively do everything to reduce stress.

Can I just say, reading all this and the love, care and the prep everyone take with their children before their holidays is Brilliant.

Even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it; you are all doing an amazing job; and by the sounds of it you're all making great strides in helping you wonderful mini-peeps and you should be proud.

Could someone explain DAS to me? The way I read it, it sort of acts as a FP. Not quite though, wait time in standby is 45 min, CM give you return time of 45 mins and then you go into FP lane? It that it?

Can you have the time "readjusted"? I've gone to a ride sometime and the FP line is out the door. We sit and wait and the line goes down a lot, in 15 mins. I'm guessing ride had a temp. breakdown. Is a DAS use it or lose it at THAT time, never mind the FP line is twice the normal size. I mean there are rides we won't go in even with a FP, we know there must have been a problem, that FP line is waaayyyy longer than normal.

Could someone explain DAS to me? The way I read it, it sort of acts as a FP. Not quite though, wait time in standby is 45 min, CM give you return time of 45 mins and then you go into FP lane? It that it?

Can you have the time "readjusted"? I've gone to a ride sometime and the FP line is out the door. We sit and wait and the line goes down a lot, in 15 mins. I'm guessing ride had a temp. breakdown. Is a DAS use it or lose it at THAT time, never mind the FP line is twice the normal size. I mean there are rides we won't go in even with a FP, we know there must have been a problem, that FP line is waaayyyy longer than normal.

almost if a line is 45 minutes your return time would be 35 minutes, ( the 10 minutes is for the time in FP) you do not have to come back right away really it is good until the park close for the day. but you can not get another time before you use the one you have. if a ride is down you can not get a return time.

when a ride breaks down what the CM do is where FP and standby come together instead of letting 10 FP groups in and 4 stand by in they let more FP in so maybe 20 and just 4 standby. so the FP lines well moves very fast, when a ride breaks down and FP line is really long ( one time RNR was in the cut yard where the express bus service was and the line was only 15 minutes

here is the link just read the first post the rest was before the DAS cam out.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Last edited:

When you get a DAS return time, it can be used at any point after that time. So, if your return time is 10:30am then you can use it any time from 10:30am until close. The only issue is that you cannot get another RT until you use the one you currently hold.

Unless you are a qualified and registered Clinician, making any conclusions of what is and what isn't appropriate for someone else's child on the spectrum is merely an opinion based upon personal experience. And we all know the old adage of opinions.... ;o)

Use the DAS as you see fit, you don't need to justify it to anyone. As Tim McGraw sings..... "Always Stay Humble and Kind"

No, it's not use it or lose it - it's just that you can't enter the FP queue until the given amount of time has gone by. If the FP queue is too long, you can come back later, or decide not to use that return time and go to another attraction and get a different one.

my son is 19 and we still request the DAS for his Asperger's, Sensory Processing Disorder and Claustrophobia. On our last trip, he never felt the need to use it for a RT (and this was during Spring Break). He did use it to skip some stairwells (TSMM, BTMR) because of the claustrophobia. I think the security of knowing he has it goes a long way to keeping him on an even keel.
There is no magic age when the need disappears, and it may never disappear. You just need to decide based on the individual who has the needs.

my son is 19 and we still request the DAS for his Asperger's, Sensory Processing Disorder and Claustrophobia. On our last trip, he never felt the need to use it for a RT (and this was during Spring Break). He did use it to skip some stairwells (TSMM, BTMR) because of the claustrophobia. I think the security of knowing he has it goes a long way to keeping him on an even keel.
There is no magic age when the need disappears, and it may never disappear. You just need to decide based on the individual who has the needs.
Congrats on the successful trip!

I know I am over sensitive but some of these replies seem judgmental I hate the fact that people think autism is something you grow out of it is not dh was just diagnosed 5 years ago so I feel like we are still learning the ropes

I don't think anyone is trying to say that autism is something you grow out of. I certainly wasn't. But autism itself does not equal DAS eligibility. Guest Services cannot ask for a diagnosis. It is the specific difficulties that many people with autism (as well as other disorders) face that hinders their ability to wait in line that necessitates the DAS. Some, not all, people with autism are able to eventually wait in some lines up to a certain length of time. There may be other lines that they can't manage in and need to employ DAS. That doesn't mean they've outgrown their autism, just that they're managing the symptoms. There are some people who will always need to use DAS because their symptoms don't ever improve/ or can't be managed. There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone's symptoms and triggers with autism are the same.

But when someone is able to handle a particular line, then the DAS would not be needed FOR THAT PARTICULAR LINE. Again, they may need it for other lines and there are many people who will always need it for every line. But for those that do get to the point that they can wait in a certain stand by line without having issues, then in that particular case and line, if the DAS is not needed, then it shouldn't be used for that particular ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!