"Attn Walmart customers - All black people leave the store now"

At the wal marts here, there are phones everywhere. Anyone can pick up a phone, press the speaker button, and talk away. I've seen employees do it when they can't get in touch with a manager or someone in departments that I've been in. There's no code to enter. They just picked up the phone, hit one button, and talked away.

I don't see how this is wal marts fault at all. It could have been anyone, most likely some boys being pranksters.

I doubt that every square inch of the store is being taped by security camera all of the time.
I used to work at Target, and I know that there were certian places in the store that the security cameras couldn't toggle enough to see... they were common "naptime" or socializing places. ;) And at least in Target's case, there isn't always someone watching every camera at EVERY angle at every time. It's just not possible.

I doubt that every square inch of the store is being taped by security camera all of the time.

I work in a financial institution and while we have very good surveillance every inch isn't covered. That would be impossible. Not to mention someone who was going to use the intercom for a prank could just wear a hat pulled down low to block his face. Our guards make all of our members remove their hats and sunglasses (unless they are prescription) at the door for this very reason.

As a former employee of this particular Walmart(I worked there thru the Christmas holidays) I can tell you, anyone can pick up the phone and use it,,the directions r posted on the phone for all to see. Anyone could of used the phone and made the announcement!! Let's hope it wasn't anyone who worked there..

Although this is a vile thing for someone to do, I see no reason to fault Walmart, even if it is one of their employees. Of course they should do due diligence to try and find out who it was, and fire if it was an employee, but this is not boycott worthy. Boycotting doesn't even make sense. What do they want Walmart to do that they aren't already doing? What if the person just yelled it out loud instead of going over the intercom? Giving it attention is just what the guilty one wants. Of course Walmart doesn't condone this, why would they want to alienate any of their customers on a huge scale like that? They don't care what color their customers are, as long as they are carrying GREEN.

Or at least plastic!

Denise in MI

As a former employee of this particular Walmart(I worked there thru the Christmas holidays) I can tell you, anyone can pick up the phone and use it,,the directions r posted on the phone for all to see. Anyone could of used the phone and made the announcement!! Let's hope it wasn't anyone who worked there..

Thanks for your expertise!

I'm surprised they don't have to key in an access code to make an announcement. I had to at every retail place for which I worked, most of which were much smaller and had less likelihood of encountering this type of situation.

Agreed, not Walmart's fault (though now it's obvious that they clearly they need to make the intercom system totally inaccessible to Joe Customer.)

The code is #XX (censored for obvious reasons) and it is nationwide at the walmart's, or at least it was 5 yrs ago when I worked there while in college. Chances are, it was someone who either worked at another one, or simple knew the code. We use to have people get on them with the see-n-say's. Kinda funny to hear "the cow goes Moooooo" over the loud speaker. This comment?- Not so much.

I just wanted to say hello!! I'm from Williamstown too!!!

I hope that they catch whoever did this particularly if it's an employee. It's bad from anyone but an employee ought to have more respect for their employer. This is just plain mean to everyone even Wal-Mart.

I'm surprised they don't have to key in an access code to make an announcement. I had to at every retail place for which I worked, most of which were much smaller and had less likelihood of encountering this type of situation.

Agreed, not Walmart's fault (though now it's obvious that they clearly they need to make the intercom system totally inaccessible to Joe Customer.)

We never had a access code where I worked (a major cahin store). we had a button labeled intercom on all the phones!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter