Attractions at WDW parks that are also at DLR/DCA? Same? Different?

mistyinca

Mouseketeer
OK, so I'm a Disneyland vet that will be getting a real experience at WDW for the first time (Dec 16 went for one day, and didn't do much, so basically first time).

Anyhoo, I wondered if someone who has been to the California parks and the Florida parks could comment on the rides that are at both, which ones are identical, and which ones are different.

For starters, I know Pirates of the Caribbean is different. This is one of the only rides we rode at MK when we were there in 2016, and it is significantly shorter than the California counterpart.

What other rides appear in both and are they the same or different?

Thanks!

Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror are better at WDW (although I didn't get a chance to do the new version of the Tower at DCA). Personally, I prefer Magic Kingdom's version of the Haunted Mansion, and it has a very entertaining, interactive exterior queue (the "scenic route") not available at DL.

You don't really mention why you want to know the differences.
I'll give you the same advice I give others, and used for myself, don't compare them. Think of each park and their rides as completely unrelated and separate. It doesn't matter that both parks have a Haunted Mansion, or if they are the same or different. I recommend doing both and not trying to think or compare one to the other. Let them stand on their own as their own attractions. I believe it makes a much happier and more successful trip, with less let downs.
Now, if it has something to do with extreme limited time and you want to do only the things that don't exist in the other park, or something like that, that's different.

Short answer - they're all different and unique. I wouldn't eliminate anything in WDW that has an identical name in DL. You will get different experiences in each park.

I think it's fun to compare DL with DW. I love both, but understand that each resort has its pros and cons. You cannot beat the intimacy of DL Fantasyland vs the sprawling nature of MK New Fantasyland. Of course a vast majority of DL visitors are locals who are laidback because they can always do something "on their next visit." Disneyworld seems to have more stressed out folks "trying to fit everything in." I adore the pooh ride in Critter Country, but still enjoy MK Pooh. Of course DL Pirates cannot be beat. DL Haunted Mansion has an awesome facade compared with MK. Monster's Inc. in CA is something you won't find in Florida. Same thing with Alice. We love being in the Disney bubble in Florida. On site rooms in CA are expensive, and you lose a bit of the magic walking down Harbor to get back to your hotel.

This link gives a list of all rides at both resorts FWIW

Ride Count Comparison Between DLR and WDW - https://www.disboards.com/threads/ride-count-comparison-between-dlr-and-wdw.3221332/

There are only 5 rides that are 100% identical:

- Soarin Over the World (except at the very end where WDW shows Epcot and DLR shows DL)
- TSMM
- Little Mermaid (except they have different names at each resort)
- Star Tours
- ITTBAB

FWIW, the last four have far better queues at WDW. Soarin has a better queue at DLR.

My list of rides and shows below is not a general list for WDW but from the point of view of a DLR vet who experiences DLR regularly.

Rides at WDW that I would never miss:

Rockin Rollercoaster (RnR)
Expedition Everest (EE)
Flight of Passage (FOP)
Tower of Terror (TOT)
Philharmagic

Shows at WDW I would never miss:

Festival of the Lion King (FOTLK)
Happily Ever After (HEA) fireworks show
Voices of Liberty (VoL)

Rides I would prefer to not miss and are definitely worth prioritizing for a first time visit:

Seven Dwarves Mine Train (SDMT or 7DMT)
Monsters in Laugh Floor (MILF)
Kilimanjaro Safari (KS)
Test Track
Mission Space

Shows I would prefer to not miss and are definitely worth prioritizing for a first time visit:

Indiana Jones Stunt Show
March of the First Order
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular (SWAG)
IllumiNations

Places we always try to dine:

Be Our Guest (BOG) - hard to get so start early!
Sci-Fi Dine-In
Epcot World Showcase somewhere - we like most all of them except for Biergarten
Beaches & Cream (yummy ice cream)
Shula's (IMO best steak not only at WDW but just about anywhere)

Other Cool Places to Dine and Things to Do:

California Grill
Whispering Canyon
Boma's
Hoop-Dee-Do Revue - not for everyone but lots of people like it (we have done it twice)

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter