AUGUST 2017 Car rental watch

yes, you check in - you don't pay, and you don't have to give a credit card..
you just give your drivers license info, and airline info
and you're checked in...and it preserved my incredibly good rate for the minivan that we're renting for 3 weeks..

Are you referring to the reservation process as an Online Check-in? Generally it is not the same thing. It sounds like you are making a reservation online like we all have done. You do the online check-in about 24 hours before you pick up the car. I don't think the system will allow you to check-in online for pickup for a reservation that is over 2 months away. The online check-in is so you can skip the counter or kiosk on the day you pick up your rental. Also, if I understand correctly, you cannot use online check-in if you have used discount codes and/or coupons. Please correct me and explain in detail if I am misunderstanding or wrong about any of the above.

I think that is what the poster means by online-check in...they are completing a reservation. I don't think the system allows you to check-in online until 24 hours before your pickup time. Unless this is something new I am not aware of. So if it is another method of getting a better rate, then please share the procedure and info.

Oh ok. I've never had to enter my driver's license info to make a reservation so I was a little confused. Lol.

not sure if this qualifies for a deal? but I got 20% off with my club carlson(Radisson hotel) membership with Avis. I think price seems decent at least for now.
£450 including all insurance with 0 dollar collision waver excess thing and 2nd driver.
17 nights starting Aug 16th from and back to MCO in a SUV(ford escape level)

I've gone the same time of year for the last few years and the rates tend to drop around 1 month-2 weeks before the trip.

Last year my dates were 8/25-9/7 and I got the lowest rate on 8/17. I paid $228.47 for a midsize car - round trip to/from MCO. We ended up getting a minivan from the midsize aisle. I see I also had a ressie for a full size same dates booked on 8/17 for $246. These rates were from Costco so they included an additional driver. If you don't need the additional driver, Alamo rates are usually slightly less. But as you can see, the best rates didn't happen until very close to our trip. I also notice I had a compact car booked in April for $218. I am a Costco travel site stalker. Lol!
I hope I see the same rates. Right now I am booked with a fullsize (free upgrade and costco) for $433 for two weeks Aug 19 to Sept 2. I really hope it will get as low as $228! I will keep checking....:surfweb:

Are you referring to the reservation process as an Online Check-in? Generally it is not the same thing. It sounds like you are making a reservation online like we all have done. You do the online check-in about 24 hours before you pick up the car. I don't think the system will allow you to check-in online for pickup for a reservation that is over 2 months away. The online check-in is so you can skip the counter or kiosk on the day you pick up your rental. Also, if I understand correctly, you cannot use online check-in if you have used discount codes and/or coupons. Please correct me and explain in detail if I am misunderstanding or wrong about any of the above.

nope - not the reservation...i made the alamo reservation about 6 months ago..

when i went back into alamo now to reserve a second car for DS, i was shocked to see how high the rates have jumped since i reserved our minivan 6 months ago..

so i quickly did the online check in....it's exactly what i described...
if you go into your original reservation confirmation that you received from alamo, there is a link for 'online checkin'..
when you click it, it asks for drivers license and airline info...

once you complete that, it says you can no longer cancel online, but only by phone..

i've never done the online check in before, but when i saw how much lower my rate is, i wanted to be sure to lock it in..
you're right that they've never changed a reservation rate on me yet..
but it's so crazily low compared to what's on offer right now, i wanted to be sure they couldn't switch it on me when i get to the airport..
now i have a print of my 'check in'...

keep in mind also, that i book via alamo uk, so the process may possibly be slightly different from yours..

not sure if this qualifies for a deal? but I got 20% off with my club carlson(Radisson hotel) membership with Avis. I think price seems decent at least for now.
£450 including all insurance with 0 dollar collision waver excess thing and 2nd driver.
17 nights starting Aug 16th from and back to MCO in a SUV(ford escape level)

yes, that's a very good rate....at least compared to what's on offer right now from alamo...

nope - not the reservation...i made the alamo reservation about 6 months ago..

when i went back into alamo now to reserve a second car for DS, i was shocked to see how high the rates have jumped since i reserved our minivan 6 months ago..

so i quickly did the online check in....it's exactly what i described...
if you go into your original reservation confirmation that you received from alamo, there is a link for 'online checkin'..
when you click it, it asks for drivers license and airline info...

once you complete that, it says you can no longer cancel online, but only by phone..

i've never done the online check in before, but when i saw how much lower my rate is, i wanted to be sure to lock it in..
you're right that they've never changed a reservation rate on me yet..
but it's so crazily low compared to what's on offer right now, i wanted to be sure they couldn't switch it on me when i get to the airport..
now i have a print of my 'check in'...

keep in mind also, that i book via alamo uk, so the process may possibly be slightly different from yours..

Ok...thanks for the details and info. I was confused and just didn't want to miss out if there was another method in getting a good rate!! :laughing: But anyway, I think when I joined the Alamo Insider I had to give my Drivers License and other info too. So it is all coming back to me now and making sense. :thumbsup2

Ok...thanks for the details and info. I was confused and just didn't want to miss out if there was another method in getting a good rate!! :laughing: But anyway, I think when I joined the Alamo Insider I had to give my Drivers License and other info too. So it is all coming back to me now and making sense. :thumbsup2

i was thinking of doing insider...
you have to give a credit card for that don't you?
that's why i haven't yet..

i was thinking of doing insider...
you have to give a credit card for that don't you?
that's why i haven't yet..

Not sure about that. I really don't recall giving Credit Card info up front. I did have to submit drivers license information but that was all I recall doing. The Alamo insider gives a very small discount, but I guess it just gives me peace of mind of being considered a "member". :laughing:

Not sure about that. I really don't recall giving Credit Card info up front. I did have to submit drivers license information but that was all I recall doing. The Alamo insider gives a very small discount, but I guess it just gives me peace of mind of being considered a "member". :laughing:

i'll check it out

I hope I see the same rates. Right now I am booked with a fullsize (free upgrade and costco) for $433 for two weeks Aug 19 to Sept 2. I really hope it will get as low as $228! I will keep checking....:surfweb:

I hope it goes back down too. :) I just checked my 2015 rates out of curiosity and I rented a standard car from 8/26-9/9 for $251 from Alamo at MCO. I booked that one on 7/3/15. I also got a minivan with that rental from the full size aisle.

As of this morning rates are still up.....my BJ's 7014696 and free upgrade AU3Z64SDG is giving me a midsize w/free upgrade to standard
for $889.75 !!! :scared1: Costco 7014627 and free upgrade is giving me a Standard w/free upgrade to Full-Size for $802.01 :scared1:

It looks like my Costco membership will bring in the better deal. But it will expire before we go......But my BJ's membership was just renewed thru a Groupon Special. I will have to decide if I want to renew Costco after I get a better rate drop. These current rates are ridiculous!!! :lmao:

I booked through costco site and currently, full size car from 8/26~9/2 for $217.84 is the best rate I've seen since April/May. I'm hoping to get it around $150 or so for the 7day rental. But it's ridiculous expensive at this moment like over $300.

I've been following this thread as I've never rented a car before. It seems like the advice is the sweet spot for renting is 5 weeks out. Well when I put in July search dates (5 weeks away) on the Costco site, the rate is still over $500 for 11 days. That would indicate to me that these rates for August are not going to drop. At all. Am I wrong?? I hope so!

I've been following this thread as I've never rented a car before. It seems like the advice is the sweet spot for renting is 5 weeks out. Well when I put in July search dates (5 weeks away) on the Costco site, the rate is still over $500 for 11 days. That would indicate to me that these rates for August are not going to drop. At all. Am I wrong?? I hope so!

Most likely they will drop as it gets closer to your dates. Check every day, even multiple times a day. Very easy to cancel and re-book with the major rental car websites. Also sign up for any free loyalty programs for the companies you are considering so you'll get those discounts.

I'm noticing that Alamo rates are starting to dip down, but not where I want to be yet. Hopefully we'll get there!

Most likely they will drop as it gets closer to your dates. Check every day, even multiple times a day. Very easy to cancel and re-book with the major rental car websites. Also sign up for any free loyalty programs for the companies you are considering so you'll get those discounts.

We keep expecting a dip, yet the July dates that are 5 weeks from now are very expensive. So the July renters are not getting a good deal. That's why I asked on my previous post...why should the August renters expect a reduced rate 5 weeks out from our dates when the July renters are paying a high price 5 weeks out from their dates???

We keep expecting a dip, yet the July dates that are 5 weeks from now are very expensive. So the July renters are not getting a good deal. That's why I asked on my previous post...why should the August renters expect a reduced rate 5 weeks out from our dates when the July renters are paying a high price 5 weeks out from their dates???
I reserved my August 2017 rental last November. :scared: I haven't seen it cheaper since, and I check a lot. I have 2 weeks for $424, last August I paid $405 for the same 2 weeks. I'm thinking mine isn't going to budge. I'm still checking and hoping, though..:teeth:

I reserved my August 2017 rental last November. :scared: I haven't seen it cheaper since, and I check a lot. I have 2 weeks for $424, last August I paid $405 for the same 2 weeks. I'm thinking mine isn't going to budge. I'm still checking and hoping, though..:teeth:

Ouch. Last August and the year before I paid in the $200's for 2 weeks. I got the rate about a week before my trip in 2016 and on July 3rd in 2015 so keep checking often. :) It was the last week of August/first week of September though which is usually not peak season there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter