August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

We had an amazing, exhausting trip! It was such a whirlwind only being in the parks for a day and a half, but that's better than no days! :D We arrived on Friday around 3pm after a 7 hour drive from Nor Cal. We stayed at the Anaheim Discovery Inn, which was the smallest hotel room I've ever seen. :magnify: Since we were only using the room to sleep and shower, it was fine. We took the monorail from DtD to TL, then took a full circle tour on the railroad to see the new route. We decided not to get Max Pass on this day since we'd arrived later in the day and would get it for Saturday since we figured we'd be there for the whole day and it'd be more crowded. We had the Fantasmic! dining package at RBT at 6pm, so we pretty much stayed in the Adventureland/Frontierland/NOS area. Loved RBT! We had an amazing server who made the experience even better. Around 8pm, we grabbed our spot for Fantasmic! and had a great view! I think we were maybe 3 or 4 rows back from the railing near where they'd set up the rope for a walkway in the center area. It wasn't the most comfortable sitting on the ground for so long, but I'd rather do that than stand the whole time. After Fantasmic! we stayed for the fireworks and stood at the railing. RDCT is my absolute favorite fireworks show, but that's not my favorite view of them. It's not bad, but I definitely prefer to watch it from the hub if given the choice. We also ended up catching the late MSEP right across from the teacups. We walked up maybe 10 minutes before it came through and stood right behind the people who were seated on the curb. We got back to the hotel around 1:30am and fell right to sleep.

Saturday, we actually got the park around 9am. Grabbed Starbucks coffee and beignets from Jazz Kitchen on our way through DtD. We had decided to try Max Pass, so bought that through the app as we were walking to the parks. LOVED it! :love: It's so nice to have the option to book FP from your phone! We really loved having that option at WDW, so were pretty excited to try it out at DL. I don't think we got enough photo pass pictures taken, but it's nice to have the ones we did get. I think it actually makes us walk more though. We rode everything we wanted, most more than once. I lost count how many times we actually rode BTMRR and we never waited longer than 20 minutes for any ride. We had MSEP dining at BB, which was amazing! The viewing area was almost empty for the parade, which was really nice. We sat on one of the circular benches while waiting and then stood for the parade itself. Got back to the room around midnight, totally exhausted and sore, but it was all worth it!

I even rode Mission Breakout and hated every minute of it. ::yes:: For the record, I hated ToT too. Just don't like the free-fall rides. But, I really wanted to see the new theme since I enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy. We got Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf. I'm glad I never have to do that again. :scared: After the ride, we got in line to meet Groot, which was fun. The CM working the line was awesome! We ended up only spending about 5 hours at CA Adventure and the rest of our time was spent at Disneyland.

We're surprising the kids this evening while at the County Fair (they love going and it starts today, we'd miss the rest of it). We'd love to wait and tell them when we wake them up tomorrow morning, but we have to be on the road at 6AM and we need to give our oldest DD a chance to make sure she's happy with the clothes we packed for her. So hard sitting here at work when I can't wait to tell the kids and get there! :)

We had an amazing, exhausting trip! It was such a whirlwind only being in the parks for a day and a half, but that's better than no days! :D We arrived on Friday around 3pm after a 7 hour drive from Nor Cal. We stayed at the Anaheim Discovery Inn, which was the smallest hotel room I've ever seen. :magnify: Since we were only using the room to sleep and shower, it was fine. We took the monorail from DtD to TL, then took a full circle tour on the railroad to see the new route. We decided not to get Max Pass on this day since we'd arrived later in the day and would get it for Saturday since we figured we'd be there for the whole day and it'd be more crowded. We had the Fantasmic! dining package at RBT at 6pm, so we pretty much stayed in the Adventureland/Frontierland/NOS area. Loved RBT! We had an amazing server who made the experience even better. Around 8pm, we grabbed our spot for Fantasmic! and had a great view! I think we were maybe 3 or 4 rows back from the railing near where they'd set up the rope for a walkway in the center area. It wasn't the most comfortable sitting on the ground for so long, but I'd rather do that than stand the whole time. After Fantasmic! we stayed for the fireworks and stood at the railing. RDCT is my absolute favorite fireworks show, but that's not my favorite view of them. It's not bad, but I definitely prefer to watch it from the hub if given the choice. We also ended up catching the late MSEP right across from the teacups. We walked up maybe 10 minutes before it came through and stood right behind the people who were seated on the curb. We got back to the hotel around 1:30am and fell right to sleep.

Saturday, we actually got the park around 9am. Grabbed Starbucks coffee and beignets from Jazz Kitchen on our way through DtD. We had decided to try Max Pass, so bought that through the app as we were walking to the parks. LOVED it! :love: It's so nice to have the option to book FP from your phone! We really loved having that option at WDW, so were pretty excited to try it out at DL. I don't think we got enough photo pass pictures taken, but it's nice to have the ones we did get. I think it actually makes us walk more though. We rode everything we wanted, most more than once. I lost count how many times we actually rode BTMRR and we never waited longer than 20 minutes for any ride. We had MSEP dining at BB, which was amazing! The viewing area was almost empty for the parade, which was really nice. We sat on one of the circular benches while waiting and then stood for the parade itself. Got back to the room around midnight, totally exhausted and sore, but it was all worth it!

I even rode Mission Breakout and hated every minute of it. ::yes:: For the record, I hated ToT too. Just don't like the free-fall rides. But, I really wanted to see the new theme since I enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy. We got Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf. I'm glad I never have to do that again. :scared: After the ride, we got in line to meet Groot, which was fun. The CM working the line was awesome! We ended up only spending about 5 hours at CA Adventure and the rest of our time was spent at Disneyland.
That sounds like an awesome quick trip! You are much braver than I, no one will ever get me on GoG...!

I am so glad you felt the MaxPass was worth it for your full day on the short trip...I have a short trip planned next spring with my best friend & I was thinking the MaxPass would probably work well for her in a similar situation, I think I will suggest it for her as I keep reading reports of people being able to make really good use of it on short trips like this. I was also thinking of gifting her a homemade certificate good for one Blue Bayou Fantasmic package as a Christmas present to be used on our spring trip. From what you & others who have done short trips have said, I think that will work really well to ensure she gets a great view & an awesome meal experience on what will probably be her only trip to Disneyland. Also, she is obsessed with pirates in general, so I think the BB package would be right up her alley.

I'm sorry you found the rooms at the Discovery Inn too small, I really love that motel. It is actually my favorite place to stay when visiting Disneyland. I just checked the square footage and found it is similar to the Clarion (which I have stayed at in the past), but when I compare it to the on site hotels, I see the square footage is significantly smaller. I guess I am just used to vacationing in small hotel rooms, as I am usually vacationing either in NYC (with significantly smaller hotel rooms!) or at this motel, with only an occasional lucky stay on site for a day or two when I can get a good deal. It is a pretty good motel on only one floor (no stairs for those of us who can't do them!), with good staff, a decent price & close to the parks, if anyone wants a budget recommendation for the future, but i would say it is definitely not built for larger groups!

I'm loving hearing reports from all who have gone already...I have 6 more days myself, I can't wait to get to the parks, too!

~Meg

3 days into our trip. So far it's been awesome!!

We've tried and love MaxPass! Well worth the $20 per day for my DD and I, even with the Canadian exchange! Yesterday was our WOC Dessert Party which was lovely as usual and we did GOTG. I daresay I like it more than ToT. :duck:

Tonight is the RBT Premium Seating Package so we'll see how it goes.

I'll second GlitteryOtters...so great hearing of others experiences. So far sounds like you're all having a great time! You're close to your trip. Enjoy! We're not far behind you.

22Tink, enjoy RBT. Let us know how you find the seating. I think that is the only actual sitting down option. (We're doing RBT but regular FP)

Just returned from two days in the park, Sunday in DL and Monday in DCA. Had a blast even though it was hot and crowded! DID NOT buy MAX Pass and rode everything we wanted using FP, except for Soarin. The line all day Monday was 90-120 minutes because only one side was working and by the time we tried to get a FP for it, they were all gone. Had a great time though!!!

We fly out of Seattle at 5:00 am Sunday and plan to do the bag drop and head to the park as soon as we get there! Still packing and we are so excited!

So exciting to hear about everyone's trips!!! Our countdown is at... 8 days! Super excited! :stitch:

I ended up switching our hotel reservation. We were booked in at Park Vue Inn, which I was looking forward to trying out (plus we had a room with bunk beds, which the kids were excited about). However.. I'd been keeping an eye on the rates at Tropicana (where my daughter and I stayed about 18 months ago, and we were quite satisfied with our stay). The rates came down significantly.. so I switched! We'll just have 2 double beds..no bunk beds, but that's okay. As long as I have a clean, comfortable place to sleep.. I'm happy :). I'll be saving over $400 Canadian.. so I'm pretty happy about that. With the savings I decided to book a Fantasmic dining package, which is a splurge for us!

Last edited:
So exciting to hear about everyone's trips!!! Our countdown is at... 8 days! Super excited! :stitch:

I ended up switching our hotel reservation. We were booked in at Park Vue Inn, which I was looking forward to trying out (plus we had a room with bunk beds, which the kids were excited about). However.. I'd been keeping an eye on the rates at Tropicana (where my daughter and I stayed about 18 months ago, and we were quite satisfied with our stay). The rates came down significantly.. so I switched! We'll just have 2 double beds..no bunk beds, but that's okay. As long as I have a clean, comfortable place to sleep.. I'm happy :). I'll be saving over $400 Canadian.. so I'm pretty happy about that. With the savings I decided to book a Fantasmic dining package, which is a splurge for us!
We're staying at the Tropicana right now and it's just fine. They're renovating a bunch of rooms near our room but I haven't noticed any noise from it. Our room hasn't been renovated so it's definitely dated but it's clean and comfortable. My daughter swam and the pool is fine as well. Nothing special but she enjoyed it. Enjoy your Fantasmic! dining package!

We're staying at the Tropicana right now and it's just fine. They're renovating a bunch of rooms near our room but I haven't noticed any noise from it. Our room hasn't been renovated so it's definitely dated but it's clean and comfortable. My daughter swam and the pool is fine as well. Nothing special but she enjoyed it. Enjoy your Fantasmic! dining package!

Great to hear! I was quite happy with it last time and we didn't have an updated room. We were happy with the pool as well. I'm just excited about saving big $$$$. Lol. And still being so close is just awesome! Hope you're having a wonderful time!

Last edited:
here now - maxpass is amazing!!! it is very hot for us so we are taking afternoon breaks every day!
saw MSEP last night, it was great. going to cancel our F! reservations, not worth the extra $$ for us, i'd rather spend our cash else where in the parks
tomorrow is our last day in the parks before our 3 day break in vegas

I can't believe we're flying home tomorrow. The trip took so long to get here but was over in a flash. It was a great week though. MaxPass is awesome, we got so much done using it, and GOTG is our new favourite ride. We rode it so much this week!!

To everyone still waiting for their trips, have a wonderful time!!

Hi!

We (DH, myself, and DD1, DD2, DD3) will be at DLR Aug. 20-25th. We're staying at Paradise Pier for the first time, to try out something new and because we booked so late, but wanted concierge (we've stayed at GCH and DH many many times). We're hopping in our car early tomorrow in the AM and driving from the SF Bay Area to The Happiest Place on Earth. Hopefully it will be The Happiest Road Trip on Earth getting there. I say that because we have always flown, so this is our first long drive with the three kiddos. My 6 and 4 year old will do well (thanks iPads!), but our 15 month old is not a fan of the car-seat. Wish us luck!

We go to DLR frequently and have had APs once before (a few years ago). We said that we were going to take a break from DLR to keep it new and special for this girls, but DH and I just can't stay away soooo...we just bought APs again! :banana:

We're staying at Paradise Pier for the first time, to try out something new and because we booked so late, but wanted concierge (we've stayed at GCH and DH many many times).

We just stayed at the PPH for the first time this month. Like you we typically stay at VGC (when I have DVC points left) or at the DLH on cash. But this time we had to buy a few rooms/nights as part of a Wedding Package. We chose PPH as something different. The family enjoyed it and it was convenient for access to DCA and Disney Shopping at a little lower price. But, I think we will stick with the 2-BR Suites at the VGC. It really does spoil you for other hotels. I did love the fish tacos at the Surfside Lounge, though. :love:

How was the concierge level at the PPH?

Just returned -- had an awesome time! We always do Sunday non-MM at DL even though we stay onsite and this time was no exception ... it was by far the least busy of the days we were there (Sunday-Friday with a day off in the middle). We saw Gaston and the 7 Dwarves, both of which were highlights of our trip. Did WOC Dessert Party (great) and saw Fantasmic with a not-so-great but no wait view from the rail near HM. Another highlight was Peter Pan and how great he was at interacting with guests! He played hide and seek, duck-duck-goose, red light/green light, and generally was a joy. Actually there are two different Peter Pans -- one was great, the other did nothing :( We always looked for the good one.

We also got cabanas at both the GCH and DLH, but not intentionally. What I thought was a full day cabana at the DLH was only half, so they moved us to the GCH for the second half. We ended up with a 3rd floor pool view even though we had a standard room, which was unexpected pixie dust.

Overall, a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter