August 2019 Car Rental Thread

Hey guys, with flights being so expensive from Newark, NJ, we had to book flights leaving from Philly. With that said, We all will not fit in one of our own vehicles and with some of the traveling party not feeling so comfortable driving to Philly, we are looking to rent a vehicle that will hold 4 adults, 2 car seats, and about 10 pieces of full size luggage. Any recommendations on the best way to go about this? Thanks!!!!

8/22 - 9/3 for us. I know it's way to early but I usually start checking once in a while around this time and prices are through the roof compared to what we normally pay. It's never been over $300 in the past couple years.

I'm in! Using BJ's code and free upgrade code- $581.77 for midsize with free upgrade to a standard. No standard aisle, so we'll choose from the full size aisle. August 6-20. Last year we paid $443.39 for 2 weeks. I'll be watching for price drops!

This is almost $300 - $400 cheaper than my quotes. Wow!!! I definitely would have reserved at that price and just kept watching and changing as rates fall. But if I had started at $581 I would have booked that. Lets hope we start seeing our rates drop by April. :laughing:

I gave the BJs code and free upgrade a try and got a midsize for 571.29 so it's booked for now. No way I'll actually pay that much but it's a starting point.

I gave the BJs code and free upgrade a try and got a midsize for 571.29 so it's booked for now. No way I'll actually pay that much but it's a starting point.

:thumbsup2 So the cancel/rebook game has begun for you.......enjoy....and lets hope for price drops to happen sooner than later...good luck !!!!

Check out Alamo today! I got an email with a "Plan Ahead " special and took $110 off my price. I'm now at $462.21 for a standard (8/22-9/3)

Check out Alamo today! I got an email with a "Plan Ahead " special and took $110 off my price. I'm now at $462.21 for a standard (8/22-9/3)

Thanks for sharing.....I went onto Google to find that Plan Ahead special link. It doesn't allow me to put in any other specials or discount codes which makes sense BUT it does provide an Alamo Insider Discounted Rate. I posted my rates/comparisons below so I can keep track. At this time the Plan Ahead Special is not cheaper for me. However, I am keeping the link to use and follow. You never know. :surfweb:

PLAN AHEAD SPECIALS:

Standard: $849.35 <--Not Cheaper See Below-Midsize upgrade to Standard $760.72
FullSize: $866.84 <--Not Cheaper See Below-Standard upgrade to Fullsize $819.41
Midsize SUV: $856.26 <--Not Cheaper See Below $787.98
PREMIUM: $881.93 <--Not Cheaper See Below $837.97

Rate Codes w/Discounts:

Standard w/Upgrade to Fullsize $819.41
Midsize w.Upgrade to Standard $760.72
Midsize SUV $787.98
PREMIUM $837.97

If you have flexibility, have you tried pricing out picking up the car at Dolphin or Disney car care & returning to MCO?

I always price through the Costco website. We are flying into Tampa and out from MCO — and we needed a suv or larger. For 9 nights was pricing near $800. If I pick up from Dolphin the next morning, it’s $370 all in. So I booked a one-day out of Tampa & drop at Dolphin for under $80. I think I can still get that lower - but am happy with a suv at that price. ($450 total)

You can pick up at Disney Springs hotels too.

More quotes to price in but can sometimes find a great deal. :thumbsup2

If you have flexibility, have you tried pricing out picking up the car at Dolphin or Disney car care & returning to MCO?

I always price through the Costco website. We are flying into Tampa and out from MCO — and we needed a suv or larger. For 9 nights was pricing near $800. If I pick up from Dolphin the next morning, it’s $370 all in. So I booked a one-day out of Tampa & drop at Dolphin for under $80. I think I can still get that lower - but am happy with a suv at that price. ($450 total)

You can pick up at Disney Springs hotels too.

More quotes to price in but can sometimes find a great deal. :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing. I will keep it in mind to look at that as an option. We usually arrive the night before check-in and we can get a shuttle from airport to a local hotel for the first night. Then grab Uber to Dolphin/Swan for car rental pickup. I will consider it if the savings is $100 or more. But for less than that, it may not be worth it. But I do enjoy having various options to consider. Thanks for sharing.

7/30 - 8/7
Premium Car

I have used Alamo my previous 4 trips so these are all with them:

Not signed in and no codes
$518.15 Total* Pay Later
$494.80 Total* Prepay

Signed In, Alamo Insider
$494.79 Total* Pay Later
$494.80 Total* Prepay

At least the Pay later dropped $23.36 when I signed in but the prepay is laughable, it's 1¢ more!

Not signed in and Corporate ID: 7016350 (Visa)
$494.79 Total* Pay Later

No prepay option is displayed and the same as Alamo Insider

So, I booked using the Corporate ID and then used AutoSlash (https://www.autoslash.com/) to track the rental for a better price.

A few minutes after I submitted I received a few different rental companies offers but Alamo was the best price at the airport MCO (no shuttle to p/u the car).
The rate is through a Priceline/Autoslash affiliate link

$436.29 Total* Pay Later

$58.50 less! The only caveat is there doesn't appear a check-in / Skip the line option.
Autoslash finder bot indicates that it will continue to check on lower prices so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Incidentally, going directly to the Priceline site (no link from Autoslash) is

$518.15 Total* Pay Later

I hope my exercise is helpful to everyone and I will continue to keep an eye here for CORP or COUPON ID's. Thanks all.

Seems to be that Alamo prices just went up over the last two days. I had $159 for a standard, and now its up to $230!

We added a $25 off Alamo Coupon code (AD2824JAR) we found on Retail Me Not to an August reservation we have using an AP code, and it reduced the total by about $30 including fees and taxes.

Hi All,
I currently have a couple of car rental reservations going as I watch and wait in the hopes of a better price. I need a one way rental (arriving MCO 8/12 and dropping near Port Everglades for our cruise 8/17). So far the prices are a bit high $425 (Avis), $442 Alamo, and $530 (Enterprise) but I am checking frequently for any better deals.

This was my same issue. I am picking up at MCO and dropping at FLL for a cruise after our Disney stay. I was able to get a minivan for $273 including the drop fee on Easy Rent. I called to make sure the cost included the drop fee.
Has anyone ever used this site or had experience with them?

This was my same issue. I am picking up at MCO and dropping at FLL for a cruise after our Disney stay. I was able to get a minivan for $273 including the drop fee on Easy Rent. I called to make sure the cost included the drop fee.
Has anyone ever used this site or had experience with them?

As long as they allow you to rent from the major and popular rental companies, I assume they are ok. Personally I don't like using other sites except to go directly to the rental company. I prefer Alamo overall the others. Just do as much comparison shopping as you can. Good Luck!!

Seems to be that Alamo prices just went up over the last two days. I had $159 for a standard, and now its up to $230!

Did you at least do a reservation when the rate was $159?? I hope we start seeing rates fall by May.

We're doing our vacation a little differently this year. Normally 2 weeks with a rental car - staying off site. This year we're doing onsite for a week and offsite for a week with a 2 day stay at WDW to end the trip, so only need a rental for a week. Normally pick up and drop off at MCO - this year we'll take the DME to and from.

Currently have a rate of $191.39 through Alamo for a pickup truck (not our first choice, but it was the cheapest option!) for August 20-27, picking up at CCC. Quite happy with the rate...but would love a smaller car (standard is fine for us!)

Right now I am sitting at 499.96 USD for 13 days full size with Alamo through Costco which I booked yesterday. I am sure it will come down but today the same car is listed at 693 USD.

Aug 6-17 (TPA - Car Care Center) currently booked for mid-size SUV through Autoslash (Priceline) $355

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!