August Weather

skbaker

Earning My Ears
We're tentatively planning a family trip to Disney World in mid-August 2020. I know that in August in rains almost every day, so it's not the best time to go, but with family schedules, it's about the only time that works for everyone. My question is, "How bad is the rain during August??" Is it the type of rain that comes for awhile in the day but then is gone before too long. Or is it likely to be rainy and wet all day long? Thanks to all of you Disney World veterans for sharing your expertise!

We have visited quite a bit during August and in fact were there during the first week of August this year. On the day we arrived (late afternoon) it was raining and continued to rain the rest of the evening. We only had dinner plans at our resort, so we didn’t mind. But on the other days the rain came down hard, but lasted maybe an hour or less. It was extremely humid on our visit - no surprise there! 😉 - and the dew points were in the 70’s, so it was almost inevitable we’d experience storms. My advice is to have a poncho or umbrella handy. The storms tend to occur mid to late afternoon.

I would be less concerned about rain vs the HOT/HUMID weather since that is probably the warmest month of the year.

Generally it's just an afternoon shower/storm. Typically an hour or less. The weather forecast always looks bad that time of year as it will always say Thunderstorms every day, but that does not at all mean it will rain all day.

Been to Disney last few years in mid August, the weather is extremely humid and hot. Feels like temperatures can be 100+. It usually rains every day, in the afternoon, but not for long. Some days by the time we pull out ponchos to put on, the rain has stopped. We've also been when a tropical storm pops up, but you just put on a poncho and enjoy the parks. Rainy days are some of the best days, because people tend to stay away, so less crowds!!!

Plan on ponchos, cooking towels, misting fans and stay hydrated!! Enjoy

We have been in June/July/August and it seems that August rains come around 3-4PM when June rains are earlier in the day.

I had a mini-heat exhaustion issue when we went in August and I consider myself a WDW weather pro. The heat/humdity is a bear! I thought I was drinking enough water, but you need more and mroe and more water.

We were there 8/18-28 of this year. We had to wear ponchos 1 time for about 30 minutes for the entire trip. So we did get a bit lucky with the timing and where we were but it may rain in Epcot but not MK. The heat/humidity is no joke. We skipped a whole MK day and just stayed at the hotel/pool for another relax day.

Typically the summer rains come in the afternoon, usually around 3-4pm, and don't last very long. We were there for a few days this summer, 7/30 to 8/8, and it rained every afternoon except for the day we arrived. One day I recall there was a very strong storm that lasted for a couple of hours.

Went the end of August the last few years. Two years ago, glorious weather (hot but with some strategic planning, can be managed). Last year, rain, rain, and more rain. My dad said, never again in August.

Of course, have also gone in early and late winter when the weather was unseasonably cool (or downright cold). Weather is hit or miss whenever you go.

Went the end of August the last few years. Two years ago, glorious weather (hot but with some strategic planning, can be managed). Last year, rain, rain, and more rain. My dad said, never again in August.

Of course, have also gone in early and late winter when the weather was unseasonably cool (or downright cold). Weather is hit or miss whenever you go.

We were there last year Aug. 19-25. It stormed for about 20 minutes in the late afternoon/evening on Aug. 19 and Aug. 24, and we had a few raindrops on another two afternoons, but nothing that lasted very long.

As previous posters have said, rain will be very intermittent most days. Comes and goes. It actually is nice when it rains, because it cools it off a bit. The heat and humidity are a driving factor for most people to not go in August. You'll be a sweaty mess after 10 minutes outside🤣. It doesn't keep people away though, including us! The heat/ humidity might have bothered me 15 years ago, but I love it now. Have a great trip!

With so many rides inside, the rain isn't too bad if you're in the parks. But midday breaks at the pool were difficult this past August because it closed regularly due to lightening in the area.

Pack multiple pairs of shoes, ideally waterproof or sandals. The rain will be short but powerful. Your shoes will get soaked if not careful and sloshing in wet shoes will rub your feet raw.

I go for longer trips in August, and have never found the rain to be the slightest impediment. I can only really echo what others have said, except I would expand and say to expect storms from about 3-5p.m.

While it can happen, I have never experienced it being rainy and wet throughout the day. August is not nearly as hot or humid as June or July and in my opinion is a great time to go!

We were there last year Aug. 19-25. It stormed for about 20 minutes in the late afternoon/evening on Aug. 19 and Aug. 24, and we had a few raindrops on another two afternoons, but nothing that lasted very long.
We were there 8/18-28 and had similar rain. Only once did we have to put on ponchos and it was for about 30 minutes. So we either picked the right park and missed it or were inside doing other things while it rained.

I also would recommend a pair of Teva like sandals. I got a great pair on Amazon for 30 bucks that were very comfortable and not effected by the rain. Wet socks/shoes are the worst.

It's hard to predict. We've gone in late August for the past two years. Last year, there were a couple of days where there were thunderstorms all day, and we weren't able to do much of anything for those two days. It was a real bummer. We went again this August, and although it was hot, it didn't rain at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

August is the ONLY month that we have sworn off in over 25 years Disney trips! Went once in mid August and once the last week until labor day and the heat and the humidity were oppressive! Was very hard to enjoy the trip - due to school issues we go in July now - ( early in the month and not nearly as bad as August)
As a matter of fact, we left NYC this past July and it was hotter in NY than it was in Disney !

August is the ONLY month that we have sworn off in over 25 years Disney trips! Went once in mid August and once the last week until labor day and the heat and the humidity were oppressive! Was very hard to enjoy the trip - due to school issues we go in July now - ( early in the month and not nearly as bad as August)
As a matter of fact, we left NYC this past July and it was hotter in NY than it was in Disney !
This is reassuring to me. I am going in June, and worried about the weather, but I have worked summers in NY and PA and failed to melt entirely, so, I may be OK in June then.

We went once in August and will never do it again. We had several days where it poured all day, Epcot flooded, watched MK fireworks from underneath the peoplemover tracks. The rest of the time the heat and humidity were just too much to deal with. It was miserable most of the time. Maybe it was just a bad year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!