Aulani Dining - Found what I was missing!

We are not fine/signature dining people. Our splurges on WDW/DL dining are character dining. We have no urge to visit Ama Ama or the fine dining at Four Seasons. With that said, we are satisfied with the dining options at Aulani, especially since I have a car. We loved Mekiko, poke bowls at Ulu Cafe, and the plentiful Japanese restaurants in Kapolei and the rest of Oahu. We will also get dinner at Island Country Market for one or two nights on a trip.

I’m curious, what did you order that was uninspired without Hawaiian touches?

Ulus is quick service. Some hits some misses but we don’t eat there looking for high cuisine (although the Portuguese flat bread is really good for breakfast)

We found the food at Makahiki breakfast really good and huge portions, the loco moco, Kalua pork omlet, sweet bread French toast. The Malasadas are good but not great, want great drive down the highway to the Leonard’s truck by Home Depot. (breakfast is better than dinner at makaheiki). Off the hook and poolside good as well. Enjoyed the small plates at Oleos too. My wife is local, she’s definitely found the opposite. She has dreams about the Ahi Poke Nachos poolside (they’re amazing) and several other dishes. The huli huli chicken with coconut rice at off the hook is really good too.

Want local food the locals eat? Go to Foodland over by Costco or the one at the mall and hit up the food bar. The Korean chicken is amazing. Zippys is always a family favorite as well. Hit up Lilia bakery too.
The breakfast you describe at Makahiki does sound good but weren't trying to do a character meal this trip. In the future though I'll put it on the list.

At OTH we've had Poke, catch of the day, steak, cobb, lobster roll, pasta, keiki burger; for breakfast Portuguese sausage omelets and French toast. I'm not saying it was all bad but just really awful value, and again boxes, plastic utensils, plastic cups. $20-30+ a plate just very unimpressive. Ulu had breakfast platter with Portuguese sausage and keiki French toast. $40 later please consider me a one and done. Olelo the quality was better, but I order kalua pork and potato gratin, and there was no discernible pork,a few potatoes, but really it was just a cheese dip. My wife had vegan tacos, they were good but again the price for casamiento tacos I don't know just crazy. Rainbow roll was decent. Dessert, a brownie I think, tasty but tiny. Not a shareable dish. $100 later and I'm just shrugging my shoulders as to why or how.

As for Hawaiian touches, I don't know, maybe the loco moco could be on the menus that don't require a character booking. Maybe some taro bread? Offer rice (or maybe even fried rice!) with some of the breakfast platters. A variety of musubi - how hard is that? At the very least compete with the menu at the Hawaiian Drive Inn. If you're advertising kalua pork you have some legit chunks of pork where the flavor can be discerned. Some Filipino food would be nice. Pancit or lechon, or lumpia even. None of this is particularly challenging. It's like they didn't even try. They just threw some pedestrian seafood on the menu and slapped on huge markups, then offered Portuguese sausage with their outrageously expensive and otherwise boring breakfast offerings.

And just to reiterate, the food I've had off property has been good - and good value. I just had spam musubi for $4 in Waimea Park and it was YUM. Id be happy to have something that good and satisfying for $10 on property, but I'm not holding my breath. And I was legitimately pleased with the fish and chips at the snack shop, but still overall pretty disappointed.

I’m curious, what did you order that was uninspired without Hawaiian touches?

Ulus is quick service. Some hits some misses but we don’t eat there looking for high cuisine (although the Portuguese flat bread is really good for breakfast)

We found the food at Makahiki breakfast really good and huge portions, the loco moco, Kalua pork omlet, sweet bread French toast. The Malasadas are good but not great, want great drive down the highway to the Leonard’s truck by Home Depot. (breakfast is better than dinner at makaheiki). Off the hook and poolside good as well. Enjoyed the small plates at Oleos too. My wife is local, she’s definitely found the food well done with Hawaiian inspiration. She has dreams about the Ahi Poke Nachos poolside (they’re amazing) and several other dishes. The huli huli chicken with coconut rice at off the hook is really good too.

Want local food the locals eat? Go to Foodland over by Costco or the one at the mall and hit up the food bar. The Korean chicken is amazing. Zippys is always a family favorite as well. Hit up Lilia bakery too.
👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

At Disney World, there are lots of restaurants. For every one of those you list out, there is a Chef Mickey or a boring QS, or an over-hyped themed place like 'Ohana (using low grade, often girstly meats in bulk and charging premium). So most people's WDW experience is likely to skew to that rather than Jiko.
For every truly fine dining restaurant in San Francisco, how many McDonaldses? Jacks in the Box? How many outrageously priced Mel's Diners? How many bougie million dollar bacon joints? For every Golden Dragon or Hueng Yuen how many crappy lo mein/high msg peddlers? For every Carmine's in NYC how many greasy slice o cardboard? For every Pisco y Nazca in the DC metro how many cevicherias serving week old tilapia in lime juice? Every place in the US (and likely in most parts of the world) with some great restaurants also has a lot of bad ones, or overhyped ones. Regardless, I guess we've veered off the main topic some, but my point is I just don't feel like Aulani is meeting the bar of WDW dining, or Ko'Olina dining for that matter.

I've heard Ulu Cafe used to be much better, but around 5 years ago they really simplified the menu and took off some of the unique Hawaiian specialties. Now it's just standard quick service food and the make your own poke bowl station.

Foodland delivers to Aulani and has a good hot and cold food bar, in addition to groceries.

At OTH we've had Poke, catch of the day, steak, cobb, lobster roll, pasta, keiki burger; for breakfast Portuguese sausage omelets and French toast. I'm not saying it was all bad but just really awful value, and again boxes, plastic utensils, plastic cups. $20-30+ a plate just very unimpressive.

I'm going to guess then that you got all of those to go at OTH? We were just there last month, and unless they changed things all of our sit down meals at OTH came on regular plates, glasses, metal utensils. Only when we got them to go did they come in boxes and plastic utensils and cups. Even poolside came on regular plates. My observation with anything to go at OTH is the food is better when eaten there.

Character Meal Breakfast at makaheiki is not Goofy’s kitchen or whatever they have in Florida. Yes the characters come around and you can interact, or just wave and say hello, bypass Mickey and Goofy if you don't want a photo op. We often do breakfast there at least twice, and usually bypass Mickey and Goofy the 2nd time around. The food portions though are huge, often leaving us with left overs for dinner. The Kalua pork omelet is packed with pork as well. Spam Musubi can be found occasionally at Ulus. Oddly enough we found the fish and chips at the snack shack horrible. Maybe it was the catch of the day they were using, but they were dense and dry....one of the few disappointments (well, and the shave ice, found better off site)

I think it’s also important to remember that Aulani is a family resort, and their menu is also going to reflect that. It’s also very pricey cause it’s Disney! It’s definitely in line with dining at DLR.

They aren't competting with Hawaiian Drive Inn or L&L though. If you want a plate lunch go across the street to ABC or Zippys. We found Longhis over at the Marriot was about the same as Aulani food wise. The eggs benedicts were better, but they really didn't outshine Aulani on comparable dishes, and there were less Hawaiian elements there than at Aulani! Same with Four Seasons. Great food, good fish, but no fried rice or coconut rice anywhere, Portuguese sausage or Kalua pork to be found at either...so maybe they're also not up to par for Ko Alina dining.

Monkeypod was great, but the Mexican place over there just ok, maybe it's good for hawaii, but with the plethora of mexican food places around us in Nor Cal, it's hard to beat those.

Want good local food, talk to the staff. We inquired about several places offsite and they gave a number the thumbs down....."Haole food" (they didn't say that to me, but did tell my local in-law relatives). Want some great Oxtail soup? There's a little hole in the wall place over in Pearl Ridge. Don Quijote over in Honolulu has a number of good local eateries inside.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess then that you got all of those to go at OTH? We were just there last month, and unless they changed things all of our sit down meals at OTH came on regular plates, glasses, metal utensils. Only when we got them to go did they come in boxes and plastic utensils and cups. Even poolside came on regular plates. My observation with anything to go at OTH is the food is better when eaten there.

Character Meal Breakfast at makaheiki is not Goofy’s kitchen or whatever they have in Florida. Yes the characters come around and you can interact, or just wave and say hello, bypass Mickey and Goofy if you don't want a photo op. We often do breakfast there at least twice, and usually bypass Mickey and Goofy the 2nd time around. The food portions though are huge, often leaving us with left overs for dinner. The Kalua pork omelet is packed with pork as well. Spam Musubi can be found occasionally at Ulus. Oddly enough we found the fish and chips at the snack shack horrible. Maybe it was the catch of the day they were using, but they were dense and dry....one of the few disappointments (well, and the shave ice, found better off site)

I think it’s also important to remember that Aulani is a family resort, and their menu is also going to reflect that. It’s also very pricey cause it’s Disney! It’s definitely in line with dining at DLR.

They aren't competting with Hawaiian Drive Inn or L&L though. If you want a plate lunch go across the street to ABC or Zippys. We found Longhis over at the Marriot was about the same as Aulani food wise. The eggs benedicts were better, but they really didn't outshine Aulani on comparable dishes, and there were less Hawaiian elements there than at Aulani! Same with Four Seasons. Great food, good fish, but no fried rice or coconut rice anywhere, Portuguese sausage or Kalua pork to be found at either...so maybe they're also not up to par for Ko Alina dining.

Monkeypod was great, but the Mexican place over there just ok, maybe it's good for hawaii, but with the plethora of mexican food places around us in Nor Cal, it's hard to beat those.

Want good local food, talk to the staff. We inquired about several places offsite and they gave a number the thumbs down....."Haole food" (they didn't say that to me, but did tell my local in-law relatives). Want some great Oxtail soup? There's a little hole in the wall place over in Pearl Ridge. Don Quijote over in Honolulu has a number of good local eateries inside.
We didn't get any of it to go. We did not ask for breakfast to go. We ordered and sat at a table. It was brought out in a box. As for plastic cups, it was dinner time, and we got seatedand right away they came out with water in plastic cups.

Everything described at Makahiki sounds good, but $150 for the three of us to eat breakfast...maybe at Cinderella's Royal Table. If we're in the mood for a character breakfast it's not that bad, in line with Topolinos. But to go just for the breakfast, I don't know. We'll see.

And we did Don Quijote on day 1 - that was the best!

Last edited:

Noe was outstanding! The food, ambience, and service were excellent.

For a casual lunch or breakfast, La Hiki is an excellent option.

For bar and small bites, Manalo lounge outshines the Olelo room.

Roy’s (not at four seasons) is also excellent but the four seasons is just so much more convenient.

Other people have mentioned Monkey Pod - solid choice. In that same strip mall area, Eggs n Things does a great breakfast and Mekiko Cantina has good Mexican (and margarita flights).

Edited to add: the other nice thing about the four seasons is it is really easy to get a last minute dining reservation. Also if it were me, I’d cancel AMA AMA and go to Noe instead.
Tuesday was teen night, which wound up translating to date night for my wife and I. We decided to go to Noe. It was perfect. We were seated on the patio in a loveseat table for 2, and the sun was setting between the palm trees. It was very romantic. Every dish we ordered - ahi carpaccio, whipped ricotta, funghi tagliatare, and chicken marsala - was delicious. We paired starters with glasses of maui big swell ipa and entrees with a bottle of Barbera, admittedly their cheapest red, and it was all exquisite. Thank you for the recommendation!

AMA AMA is hard to compare to other Disney restaurants. I'm not a huge fan of Cali grill so I would say it's better than that. It's no Victoria and Albert's but it's slower paced like that. So more of an experience. The sunset is spectacular. We thought the plating was well done and picture worthy and taste was better than any of the other restaurants we dined at in the Ko Olina area. I would really look hard at the menu and see if it is truly to your liking. If you think it's just OK then you may be disappointed. HTH-Good luck with with whatever you choose
It was amazing. Updated thread title. My new favorite Disney restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter