Aulani - first night in - where to eat?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
I think I have figured out our dining plans for the rest of our Aulani stay, but that first night has me stumped. We land at 6:30PM (if the flight is on time). By the time we get our luggage, get our car, and drive to Aulani I can see it being 8:30 to 9:00PM, which is around 3AM at home. We will be beat.

So.... not wanting to sit down to an expensive meal at Aulani, where can we go in the neighborhood to fill our tummys without spend a lot.... yet I don't want junk food.

I currently have a 9:30PM reservation at Makhiki, but I realize that would be an expensive waste.

Is there a cheap alternative at Aulani? Something cheap nearby?

All thoughts appreciated!

---Paul in Southern NJ

We had a flight that arrived at noon and we were starving so we just hit a drive through on the way to the resort. I would think you would all be exhausted by that point so something quick and easy. Subs maybe? It's about 30-40min to Aulani from HNL.

I would be tempted to pick up something on the way to the resort. Especially since it will so late to your body's time clock. Not to mention the fact that we were not big fans of Makahiki anyways... even if we were, I still wouldn't want that big buffet on a long travel day.

We loved the Aloha Salad right in the strip mall where Target is in Kapolei which is 5 minutes east of Ko Olina (the exit right before the Ko Olina exit when coming from Honolulu). http://alohasalads.com/about They are only open til 9pm so hopefully you could get out of the airport and on the road soon enough.

If you don't want to stop along the way before you get there, then I would take a look at the menu from Off the Hook, the poolside dining/bar area. Or if nothing sounds good there, you could check out the restaurants at the Marriot next door.

Grab something as you head out of HNL. You may have to drive a bit away since the airport doesn't have many services. It is a longer drive than you think.

Grab something as you head out of HNL. You may have to drive a bit away since the airport doesn't have many services. It is a longer drive than you think.

But isn't that trip by "interstate"? Is there much along that route?

---Paul in Southern NJ

---Paul in Southern NJ

There are some town exits not too far away. What day are you getting in? We land at 830pm this Friday. I can keep an eye out.

I would definitely cancel that reservation at Makahiki. You're not going to enjoy it but you're going to spend a lot of money on it. Save that for one of the later nights in your trip.

I also wouldn't suggest stopping off somewhere between the airport and the resort. It will be dark and late, you'll be in unfamiliar territory, and you'll really just want to GET there. If it was me, I'd head straight to Aulani and see if I was even hungry. If so, either swing by Kalepa's Store (if it's still open) where they have some grab-and-go items in their fridge or just place a small order from room service for whatever sounds good. Max flexibility, min commitment or risk.

---Paul in Southern NJ
I'd just get something close to the airport. You'll have to pick up your car anyway and there should be several fast food places really close. I'd try to figure out the location of the rental car and what might be close. Maybe even call the car pickup location directly to see if they can give you info. If you're lucky maybe there will be a fast food or sandwich shop nearby that the family can get started on while you're working on the car pickup. Otherwise you'll have to figure out how to get off and on the interstate or wait until you get checked in at the resort. Not to mention eating and heading off to bed right afterwards. Just make sure they're open that late if you chose a deli or similar.

Across the street from Aulani where the ABC store there is a really good resturant called Monkeypods, we ate there four times. The have lots of good options. I wouldn't want to stop on the way, get there and then get a quick bite to eat. The resturant at the Marriott timeshare was just ok, but the music was really nice...but it is a bit of a walk, so not a great option for your first night when it will be late and you are tired. Enjoy your trip it is a great resort.

The order in family meals at Aulani are wonderful, and that's what we did our first night there. It did take about an hour to get our food, but it gave us time to unpack and not have to worry about going out or cooking anything.

We are staying at Aulani 1 bedroom villa as a paying guest, not on points. Anyone know if we can order the family meals? The website says for DVC members which we are sadly not.

We are staying at Aulani 1 bedroom villa as a paying guest, not on points. Anyone know if we can order the family meals? The website says for DVC members which we are sadly not.

Yes, those room service family meals are for anyone. I was staying in a 2BR villa on cash (not a member at the time) and ordered one no problem.

Just a tip, too: those meals are HUGE!

Yes, those room service family meals are for anyone. I was staying in a 2BR villa on cash (not a member at the time) and ordered one no problem.

Just a tip, too: those meals are HUGE!

Yes they are! We had leftovers for the next noon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter