Aulani/Hawaii in a wheelchair

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
My family planned a trip to Aulani/Hawaii in 2013. I became sick that summer with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so we cancelled. Now, we are hoping to try again in 2018. I am still struggling (although not as severely), but we are trying to live life! When we go to Disney World I use a wheelchair 90% of the time to get around. Our concern is wheelchair accessibility and things our family can still do together despite the wheelchair. I don't want to hold my family back from hikes or kayaks etc., but are there exciting sites or activities where I can be included?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My husband suffers from a condition similar to CFS and uses a mobility scooter. I highly recommend renting a mobility scooter. We bring ours from home (your airline will check it for no charge as a medical device) or there are companies that rent them on the island. There is a beach wheelchair if you need that assistance getting onto the beach.

The hotel is new, so it is fully accessible. The only issue we ran into is getting to Roy's and Monkey Pod you have to make sure to exit the hotel and go through the parking garage to get to the elevator and take that down to the street/sidewalk. The walkway down the entrance drive aisle is not accessible (no real ramps, just roll curb).

You can participate in all the community room classes like learning Ukulele, animation, art tours, and the menehune adventure trail with the ipod things.

My husband also liked stopping at the food trucks and then going to watch surfing on the north shore. He LOVES Hawaii... some day he would like to move there because he feels he has found his happy place. In Hawaii it is a perfectly acceptable day to go watch other people surf. No pressure to actually be the one surfing. It is a wonderful day just to sit and listen to the waves. No need to actually be in the water and splashing around.

Since my husband tires easily, we did not venture many places. We did tour Pearl Harbor (fine with a scooter). We also did the swap meet one day with the scooter for a couple hours and that was fun.

Another fun one is to try a horseback ride if you find yourself with enough energy one day. It is still tiring, but if pretty relaxing since the horses just walk nose-to-tail at a slow pace.

You will love it!

@ebenmax If you have someone willing to push you the path to Waimea Falls (up in the North Shore) is totally 100% paved and smooth. It took us about 45 mins each way and it is a slight gradual incline on the way there. Very easy walk but we took our time and took lots of fun family goofing around pictures (teenagers-*sigh*) There isnt much to do excet you can swim in the falls at the end of the trail and it really is kind of a glorified nature walk rather than a true "hike" but it was a great way to spend the morning before swimming at Sunset beach. The entrance fee is ridiculous at $16 per person (adult) but I know that this is so that it can remain protected. You could combine Waimea with a visit to the Dole Plantation for Dole Whip. The store there is very accessible but it can be crowded. Or even hitting a North Shore shrimp truck for lunch after Waimea Valley.

http://www.best-of-oahu.com/waimea-falls-park.html

Thanks for some good advice and ideas!

We are also still not 100% sure on which 2 of the other 3 islands to visit in addition to Oahu. Could anyone give some advice for ones that would offer more opportunities for someone in a wheelchair?

Thank you!!!

My husband does accessibility reports as part of his work and was very impressed with the level of accessibility of Aulani. Every single pool has a lift. Many bathrooms have three sink levels: kids, wheelchair, and adults. Or maybe that was wheelchair, adults and Goofey. The only overtly inaccessible item would be the waterslides, as they are accessed by stairs only. The beach is sandy and I didn't see any sand chairs or rubber ramps, so I'm not sure if they have them or not. (Aulani doesn't own the beach.) My husband didn't comment on the gym; he wasn't in there long enough to actually see if any machines had accessibility options, but the weights and floor area were open enough for wheelchair use.

Thanks for some good advice and ideas!

We are also still not 100% sure on which 2 of the other 3 islands to visit in addition to Oahu. Could anyone give some advice for ones that would offer more opportunities for someone in a wheelchair?

Thank you!!!

I think that depends on what you want to do. If you mainly stay in resorts, you should be fine. But the other 5 islands are less developed to varying degrees. How much sightseeing on other islands do you want to do, or are you mainly looking for another resort experience in a different location?

Agree about the beach being largely inaccessible at Aulani. The sand is difficult to walk on there as it is so soft. We had to carry my son across the sand to the water and drag his wheelchair behind us. Really wish they had rubber mats. We have been to both Maui and Kauai. We found most things accessible that we wanted to do. All beaches have handicapped parking and lifeguards if it is actually a labeled beach park.

I think that depends on what you want to do. If you mainly stay in resorts, you should be fine. But the other 5 islands are less developed to varying degrees. How much sightseeing on other islands do you want to do, or are you mainly looking for another resort experience in a different location?

We would like to get out and "explore" as much as possible. I didn't know if there were any paved trails or at least accessible ones on other islands. Or must-see sites that are doable with the wheelchair. Since this is our first visit, we are looking at all options.

We would like to get out and "explore" as much as possible. I didn't know if there were any paved trails or at least accessible ones on other islands. Or must-see sites that are doable with the wheelchair. Since this is our first visit, we are looking at all options.
Most of the national and state parks have trails and overlooks that are chair friendly (Waiamea, Haleakala, VNP, etc.). I can't vouch for their services, Tom Barefoot on Kauai has a wheelchair accessible tour.

Most of the national and state parks have trails and overlooks that are chair friendly (Waiamea, Haleakala, VNP, etc.). I can't vouch for their services, Tom Barefoot on Kauai has a wheelchair accessible tour.

Thank you so much!! I will certainly check into these ideas!!!!

My family planned a trip to Aulani/Hawaii in 2013. I became sick that summer with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so we cancelled. Now, we are hoping to try again in 2018. I am still struggling (although not as severely), but we are trying to live life! When we go to Disney World I use a wheelchair 90% of the time to get around. Our concern is wheelchair accessibility and things our family can still do together despite the wheelchair. I don't want to hold my family back from hikes or kayaks etc., but are there exciting sites or activities where I can be included?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Aulani actually has beach wheelchairs that you can borrow for free. They're specially made to be able to roll in be sand easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter