Aulani summer 2014

NJDVCmember

Mouseketeer
Okay I have searched all the treads and have a notebook full of things to do, see and eat when at Aulani.

Thought I would ask myself.......

What can we not miss when we go to Aulani? We are on the east coast so this trip may be it for years!!

Any thoughts?

Anyone island hop to see the volcanos? Found a tour but 350 per. Cheaper to fly to the big island and then do a tour?
Thanks for any input!!!!

Okay I have searched all the treads and have a notebook full of things to do, see and eat when at Aulani.

What can we not miss when we go to Aulani? We are on the east coast so this trip may be it for years!!

Any thoughts?

Anyone island hop to see the volcanos? Found a tour but 350 per. Cheaper to fly to the big island and then do a tour?
Thanks for any input!!!!

How long is your trip?
If you have never been to Oahu you should visit Pearl Harbor, North Shore, Wakiki Beach and hike Diamond Head. If you are into water activities I would also recommend some snorkeling at Hanauma Bay but keep in mind it can get crowded so go during the week.
I have done some island hoping to see the volcanos on the Big Island but I typically stay on that island for a few days but it is possible to do a day trip. Yes, less expensive to fly and rent a car yourself on the Big Island.
I hope this helps.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input!!!!

If it helps... We are also on the East Coast and doing Hawaii in August.

Flying into Oahu (staying at Aulani) for 4 nights. Moving to Hawaii for 3 nights and then to Maui for 4 nights.

Then, to get or Disney fix, we are flying red-eye from Maui back to LA to do Disneyland for 2 days and then a red-eye back to the east coast.

On Oahu: Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, North Shore, a quick stop at the Dole Plantation and a few other places (Plus time to relax and enjoy Aulani).

On Hawaii: Volcano National Park, Kona Coffee plantations black beach and beach/relax.

On Maui: Haliakala volcano, Road to Hana, a day of town poking around in Lahaina, a Luau for dinner and a beach/relax day.

Then a Day at Disneyland and a day at California Adventure.

Does that help any?

---Paul in Southern NJ

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input!!!!

We are going to Aulani in August for the first time, but it will be my 5th trip to Hawaii (also from the east coast). This will be the first time we've spent more than 3 nights on Oahu so we're planning to do some things we've skipped in the past (surfing and visiting the North Shore). I would definitely recommend island hopping and to go for at least 10 nights. Each island is unique and you would really do better time-wise to just switch islands for a few nights than to try to do a day trip.

Back in the day (pre-9/11) it was much easier & cheaper to do day trips. You could book a round trip flight from HNL for under $100 the day before & just show up at the airport. Now the flights are more like $130 round trip (IF you book EARLY) and you have to deal with the security lines & stuff. If you don't book your flight early you'll pay $80-110 one-way. So if you DO decide to do a day trip pick a day early on and book your flight before the rates go up. Go EARLY in the morning so you have the whole day and just rent a car & get a map from the car rental agency & explore on your own. There is no need to book any official tours IMHO. It will save you big bucks and you'll be fine on your own. They're islands and they're not THAT big. Well, the Big Island is big but you really can't go wrong. There are 2 airports on the Big Island. If you decide to just go for the day to see the volcano and the national park & maybe Akaka Falls & the black sand beach fly into the Hilo side. If you decide to STAY on the Big Island for a few nights (I'd recommend at least 3) then go to the Kona side. We have done helicopter tours over the volacano 2x and they're amazing. If I was going to spend $350 pp for a tour you can bet it would have to be in a helicopter so do your research before booking anything (look it up on Trip Advisor).

Maui is our fav. island and we would never dream of flying all the way to Hawaii without spending a few nights there. IMO it has the best beaches and is very low-key without being too secluded. Lots to do. Haleakala at sunrise is a must-do for any first timers to Maui. Lahaina is charming and snorkeling in general on Maui is great.

We had wanted to do 5 n at Aulani and 5 nights on Maui but we were using Amex. Reward points (converted to Starwood points) for Maui and only had enough points to get 3 nights at the Westin Ka'anapali on Maui so we're doing 7 n at Aulani followed by 3 n on Maui. We're starting the trip with 4 n in CA at VGC / DL and I'm excited to split up the jet lag business for a change. If you go directly to Hawaii from the east coast you must stay up your first night and try to get on "island time". Go to bed at a reasonable hour (9-10:00). You'll adjust faster if you do.

Have fun planning...Hawaii is AMAZING!!

Thank up all for the suggestions!!! I think we are now looking to go at least 10 days to 2weeks. I would love to island hop!!

DH has never been to Hawaii and I was there in high school.....a long long time ago!! Would love to see a couple of the islands at least...

Anything else u all can think of let me know!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter