Aulani Tips

amym2

DIS Veteran
I'm not going to take the time now to write a full trip report, but I thought I'd post a few tips from our Aulani trip from Oct. 13-18. We had a fabulous time!

-Lazy river and slides are generally open 8am-8pm. We found that from 8-10am and 6-8pm there were no lines for the slides and the lazy river was pretty empty.

-We found that it was definitely true that the water park area was way less crowded on weekdays than weekends. Since Mon 10/14 was Columbus Day, it was still pretty crowded, but by the next day there was a noticeable difference.

-Character greetings are a great mix of scheduled times and surprises. One night we were heading back to our room from the pool around 7:30pm and Goofy was in the community hall playing the Wii. We walked in and got photos with no line. We also came across Goofy at the entrance to the lazy river one morning. So make sure you always have your camera or your photopass card on hand! For the scheduled greetings, there was always a cm present to take photos with your own camera as well as the photopass photographer.

-Listen under the water at the new infinity pool. So cool!

-The Menehune Trail is actually 5 segments, each lasting 30-45 min. You can do them all at once or spread out throughout your trip. I was glad we did one early in our trip to find this out, so then we could do 1-2 per day. There are also trails inside, but we only did the outside ones.

-There's a special Aulani pin for DVC members that you can buy in the main gift shop when you show your DVC member card.

We thought Aulani was AMAZING! We very much enjoyed the Makahiki breakfast (we did it on a non-character Mon but those are going away), shave ice (get the sweetened condensed milk topping!), puka dogs and coconut shrimp at Mama's, and the food at the Ulu Cafe. Ama Ama was okay for lunch but we weren't overly impressed with the food. Pizza Corner and Monkeypod are easily walkable from the resort and are both yummy as well. We didn't find that the resort food was lacking at all. The refillable mug was great as well.

We spent 5 nights on Kauai after our time at Aulani and that was amazing as well, so if anyone wants any details on Kauai, let me know!

Oh and DD9 and I both had pedicures in the spa and loved them! She had Minnie and Mickey heads painted onto her toes and I had orange with white hibiscus flowers. Just happened that right after our spa visit, it started pouring rain and lightning (never happens apparently!) so we had to stay out of the water until after dinner. That was perfect because our toes had time to dry, and they still look perfect almost two weeks later! It wasn't cheap, but it was an experience we will remember!

We will be going to Aulani soon! Thank you for your quick report. Good info and all on one page! We will be going on to Kauai as well. Any tips?

We will be going to Aulani soon! Thank you for your quick report. Good info and all on one page! We will be going on to Kauai as well. Any tips?

Where are you staying and what are you planning to do? We stayed in Kapaa and the traffic was horrible, but otherwise it was okay. We'd probably stay in Poipu if we were to do it again. We did the Jungle Valley Adventure at Princeville Ranch (hike, kayak, zipline, swimming hole) as well as a Napali Coast boat tour out of Port Allen with Captain Andy's and loved both experiences. We also spent a day at Waimea Canyon (only go if the mountain tops are clear of clouds, which doesn't happen often!) and tried to hike a bit there, but it was too slippery for our group (DH, me, DS11, DD9, and my FIL). We swam at both Poipu Beach and Lydgate Beach and the snorkeling was way better at Lydgate. It was very shallow so the kids could even just wear their masks without snorkels and see the fish. Also went to Hanalei Bay and it was lovely, but the waves were getting high and the lifeguard warned us that our kids were getting too far out (and they were only maybe up to their knees in water). Too many rip currents for swimming. We had lots of great meals, so if you want any suggestions, let me know! The shave ice in Kapaa at the Hee Fat General Store was awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter