Australia -Camera/Luggage

ajw28

Earning My Ears
We're leaving for Australia in a few weeks, and I had a few questions. It seems like it is almost here! We are booking the last few things, like the Bridge Climb and are ready to go.

I know I probably asked this last year, but did anyone bring a waterproof camera to take pictures at the Great Barrier Reef? I don't own one and wasn't sure if it was worth getting one. Do you know if there is one rent when you get to the reef?

We got an email saying that due to the internal flights, you can only bring one carry-on luggage and one to put underneath. We were going to pack an extra empty duffle bag, if we needed it. We are going, including pre/post days, for about 2 weeks. It would be more for things that we buy along the way. How strict are they for the internal flights? I know for all of the flights we book on our own, we are allowed to put two bags underneath for free.

Thank you for all your help!

The ABD guides take quite a lot of pictures of the reef with their cameras so I didn't feel there was a need for an underwater camera. Maybe if you want to buy a cheap disposal one that would be okay but I don't think it's necessary. When we had our turn on the reef the water got a bit rough (maybe 1' whitecaps) so I doubt I would've been able to take any photos since my daughter didn't have a noodle (actually most of the kids didn't) and I was watching her like a hawk. I would suggest taking a noodle (I *think* they offered noodles or something like them) on the reef, just in case. It certainly can't hurt, even if you are a strong swimmer.

I would stick to the bag guidelines. Take 1 large bag and 1 carry-on per person and you should be fine. You should get the famous "ABD duffel" in your room when you arrive and that can hold any extras that you buy along the way. If you want to purchase anything large just have the concierge at one of the hotels ship it back home for you.

I don't recall if there was anywhere to rent a camera from our departure point to the reef. I do however recall that there were ship photographers that takes pictures you can buy when you are on your way back to your point of departure.

Have a great time!

There may have been some changes to baggage allowances, but when I went in 2015 we were allowed one checked bag, one carry-on and one personal item(mine was my backpack). The ABD website lists what I mentioned, but I remember receiving conflicting info before I went and I had to call ABD to confirm that I could have two carry-ons. The year I did the trip, we started in Cairns. When I checked in for my connecting flight from Sydney to Cairns on Virgin Australia, I had to check my carry-on because it was overweight, which I knew--when I flew over on Delta they didn't care. Just be aware that they are strict about the weight limits. Since you're traveling with ABD you won't have too many worries. We only had one couple who were told that their checked bags were too heavy at one of the airports but the airline allowed them to go and told ABD they would be charged the next time it happened. The only other thing I encountered while in Australia is that batteries have to be taped together so that the ends don't touch. Oddly enough, this only happened at one security checkpoint near the end of the trip--I always travel with them in a ziploc bag in the U.S. without a problem.

I didn't take a waterproof camera to the Great Barrier Reef or Bondi Beach. The ABD guides took lots of pictures of us on the boat and in the water and also surfing. I had more than enough to choose from when I came home. If you don't plan on engaging in the actual activity, you can definitely take pictures from the boat and Bondi Beach.

You will love the Bridge Climb! I did it on Xmas Day, which was a real treat. Unfortunately, you can't bring cameras on that. However, they do take lots of pictures for you which you can purchase. You get a group picture and can also make a short video at the very top.

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice!

@abdgeek I'm a little nervous for the bridge climb, but I'm sure it will be great!

I found the Bridge Climb to be surprisingly easy and I'm in average shape. In my group we had people of varying sizes and athletic abilities. We even had a 70 year old man in our group who was doing the climb for the third time. Because this ABD was the most physically active one I've been on, I made sure to exercise by walking before the trip. They have you practice walking up and down the ladders inside before you go out on the bridge to make sure you're comfortable and you're hooked in the entire time. I did the full climb and just decided that my mild fear of heights would have to take a backseat. I'm glad I did it and felt such a sense of accomplishment when I finished. The guide will stop at regular intervals so the group can rest and there are only a couple of ladders that you have to climb up/down. The only other thing to be aware of is that you may have to disrobe before putting on the climb suit. I went during Dec. which is their summer, so we could only wear our underclothes under the suit. They had changing rooms and you're given a locker in which to put your things. I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did.

Thanks! Can't wait to do it! Still trying to figure out which morning to book it for, but will probably book it by the end of the week.

Thanks! Can't wait to do it! Still trying to figure out which morning to book it for, but will probably book it by the end of the week.

Unless you're coming in early, I would suggest calling ABD to see when you should do the Bridge Climb. Looking at the online itinerary, Day 3 is the recommended day for the Bridge Climb. However, it's not clear whether that is the 2017 or 2018 itinerary. When I went in 2015, there was a specific day we had time to do the climb. Of course, you could always opt to miss an activity to do it.

Thanks. We are going a few days early but are planning on doing it either day 1 or day 3. The first time I called they couldn't even tell me what time we needed to arrive the 1st day. They also said the guide would book it for us when we got there. This sounded a little strange as I feel like they may fill up if we need the first time slot.

I called again and they were able to tell me what time the free time ended the third day. We are going to book before hand and not wait until we get there. I haven't been able to find out what time we leave for the zoo day 1, but we'll probably end up doing it day 3.

We are on the June 18, 2017 departure. We asked about times and things for planning our OYO time way back, and slowly and patiently ABD Lisa was terrific in helping us out for this. So here is what we got:

Times are subject to change based upon the specific circumstances of each trip and the guests, but We were told that they really want people to be at the hotel by 3 pm on Day 1. On Day 2, OYO time should finish and be back at the hotel by 11:00 am. Afternoon OYO time starts around 4:30. Day 3 OYO time ends at 2:00 pm (We booked the Bridge Climb for Day 3 at 9:00). No clear time available for OYO time on Day 6, depends on the reef... Limited OYO time on Day 7 between return to Palm Cove and dinner, recommended not to plan anything. Day 8 arrive at the Gold Coast airport (hopefully) around 11:15 with arrival at the hotel post check in OYO time starting about 1 pm. (We are staying at the airport for OYO skydiving and will hop up later that evening). We will be the first group to do the Byron Bay activities with the new schedule, so while Dinner and evening is OYO, they would not give a time that we would be back...

I hope this is helpful.

My DW tells me if she hears "Men at Work" sing "Down Under" one more time at the house she'll break the stereo. We are so ready for departure. Damn work gets in the way.

Thanks Grifdog22. We are on the 7/2 departure, but arriving Sydney 3 days prior to day 1, so we were able to book most of what we wanted to do in those 3 days. We booked the twilight bridge climb, walking tour of the Rocks, Blue Mountain Tour, and we are going to do the walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee. The only thing we booked within the framework of the ABD was a private evening photo tour around Sydney on day 2 (meeting at 7 pm). Got a list of about 10 other things we can do.

We are still debating what to do on Day 8. Good to know OYO time will start around 1. We've narrowed it down to the Skypoint bridge climb, an afternoon whale watch, or just hanging at the hotel pool/beach.

Please post if you eat at any great restaurants. We have a list, but it is basically from web reviews and a few of the trip reports that are on this board.

Have fun on your trip.

Thanks so much!!! This is very helpful. We are on the July 2nd tour but will be arriving on the 29th. We decided to see what the weather is and then take the train to the blue mountains on the 30th if its nice out. There's just so much we want to do!!!!

We can't tell for sure, but it looks like on Day 3 the afternoon/evening trip to the Sheep station is in the Blue Mountains, or goes through it. (So I guess we herd them, shear them and then eat them?) Followed Cousin Orville and we have tickets for a show at the Opera House on a pre-day in the main auditorium Opera House was so easy to work with! Also for Gold Coast, there are some excellent surfing programs at that beach for newbies or for experienced, and they deliver to you/pick up on the beach where you are, which is also some of our OYO time, as the water is substantially warmer than in Sydney, without the box jellies...although we have followed the advice of the wonderful folks on the Boards and we have a 1/2 day at Manly for surfing. Also we could not get a whale watch group to commit to an afternoon time at Gold Coast. They were only scheduling morning trips, which is when we have the ABD activities. We added a day at the end and are going from Brisbane for a full day of whale watching as that is the typical shelter area for humpbacks. They also do pickup/delivery to a hotel. We are also still looking and investigating meals...please share if you find something good...we intend to try some of the places noted on the boards as well. Appreciate the notes on the board about avoiding Kuranda Village Cafe for lunch while there outside of Cairns, so we have arranged to play with the Koala's at the Koala Garden and just skip lunch.

Hope you have a wonderful time! We've already added Sydney, Cairns, Uluru and Gold Coast to the iphone weather locations. One week to go. Waiting for that Vegimite Sandwich.

We plan on skipping lunch and going to the Koala Gardens. Hadn't arranged anything though. Did you schedule a specific time already?

This is our first ABD. Are the guides at the hotel to check in with in the morning or typically not until the afternoon of the first day? We are doing our pre days at the hotel (booked on our own) so we do have to switch rooms.

We are using Blue Diamond Blue Mountain Tours. We arrive 6/29 also. Did the same thing. Booked the hotel on our own, so we'll likely also have to change rooms. I'm in the Shangri La rewards program, so I'm hoping that they let us stay in the room we booked on our own. Looking forward to meeting you. We have a 14 y/o boy.

We plan on skipping lunch and going to the Koala Gardens. Hadn't arranged anything though. Did you schedule a specific time already?
No need to schedule a time. Once you pay it is good all day and you can leave and come back, a friend says make sure they stamp you in a place it doesn't smudge off easily...) although I'm not sure we have a huge amount of time to do that. You can cuddle a Koala as well as feed and interact with a Roo. Snakes and Crocs too!

Looking forward to meeting you. It's just my mom and I (27). I'll have to look into the tour it looks great! I emailed the hotel about staying in the same room but they said if its a different type of room, we couldn't. I figured we would try again when we arrive if they have the room empty still.

We are on the June 18, 2017 departure. We asked about times and things for planning our OYO time way back, and slowly and patiently ABD Lisa was terrific in helping us out for this. So here is what we got:

Times are subject to change based upon the specific circumstances of each trip and the guests, but We were told that they really want people to be at the hotel by 3 pm on Day 1. On Day 2, OYO time should finish and be back at the hotel by 11:00 am. Afternoon OYO time starts around 4:30. Day 3 OYO time ends at 2:00 pm (We booked the Bridge Climb for Day 3 at 9:00). No clear time available for OYO time on Day 6, depends on the reef... Limited OYO time on Day 7 between return to Palm Cove and dinner, recommended not to plan anything. Day 8 arrive at the Gold Coast airport (hopefully) around 11:15 with arrival at the hotel post check in OYO time starting about 1 pm. (We are staying at the airport for OYO skydiving and will hop up later that evening). We will be the first group to do the Byron Bay activities with the new schedule, so while Dinner and evening is OYO, they would not give a time that we would be back...

Would you say these times were pretty close to the actuals? We would like to do the Bridge Climb on the morning of Day 3, but want to book in advance if possible. (And I'm incredibly scared to do it so I won't cry if it doesn't work out!! :))

Thanks Grifdog22. We are on the 7/2 departure, but arriving Sydney 3 days prior to day 1, so we were able to book most of what we wanted to do in those 3 days. We booked the twilight bridge climb, walking tour of the Rocks, Blue Mountain Tour, and we are going to do the walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee. The only thing we booked within the framework of the ABD was a private evening photo tour around Sydney on day 2 (meeting at 7 pm). Got a list of about 10 other things we can do.

We are still debating what to do on Day 8. Good to know OYO time will start around 1. We've narrowed it down to the Skypoint bridge climb, an afternoon whale watch, or just hanging at the hotel pool/beach.

Please post if you eat at any great restaurants. We have a list, but it is basically from web reviews and a few of the trip reports that are on this board.

Have fun on your trip.

We are also thinking of doing the walk from Bondi to Coogee on a pre-trip day, after a surfing lesson at Bondi. Was it worthwhile? Interested in how you liked the private evening photo tour, the walking tour of the Rocks, and anything else you would recommend!

------------
A general question. What was the attire like on the trip? This is our first ABD, and because I live in a cold climate, I'm trying to make sure I have most everything I need now. Warm weather attire will be scarce here in November/December. Thanks!

I would book the bridge beforehand, which we did. Someone on our tour waited until the first day of the tour and there were no openings left. Just make sure your time slot is before 10am and you will be fine.0

Would you say these times were pretty close to the actuals? We would like to do the Bridge Climb on the morning of Day 3, but want to book in advance if possible. (And I'm incredibly scared to do it so I won't cry if it doesn't work out!! :))

We are also thinking of doing the walk from Bondi to Coogee on a pre-trip day, after a surfing lesson at Bondi. Was it worthwhile? Interested in how you liked the private evening photo tour, the walking tour of the Rocks, and anything else you would recommend!

------------
A general question. What was the attire like on the trip? This is our first ABD, and because I live in a cold climate, I'm trying to make sure I have most everything I need now. Warm weather attire will be scarce here in November/December. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!