Autism special on Today show all week

Nik's Mom

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I just caught a story about Autism on the Today show. It is a week long series. Tune in all week. They did a nice job today. Still wiping away my tears!

Missed it, but thanks for the info.
Here's a link to the story from Today. There are a lot of good links on the page.
There's also a series that will be aired on CNBC, but I couldn't get the link ot work.

Nik's Mom,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting us know about the autism stuff on the Today show all week! My ds is high-functioning autistic. He is doing extremely well in school, acedemically and socially right now. My ds had gone thru early intervention when he was 2yrs old. He is 7 now, almost 8. I am curious what they ( the Today Show) will talk about tomorrow.

Roseprincess :flower:

I'm thrilled that they are running this, too! Our Sunday School director just called me today and said that she really wants to learn about autism (my ds has Aspergers) and that she basically knows that she has zero knowledge about it. I was able to tell her that NBC was running this series this week. She has asked me to come in and discuss autism with her since she really wants to know how best to deal with kids who are struggling with it. I am so pleased about that!

roseprincess said:
I am curious what they ( the Today Show) will talk about tomorrow.

Roseprincess :flower:
The Today Show link that I posted has a part called NBC Programming Guide that gives a little summary of what will be on each day. It also has information about the other programs that NBC will be running.

My son is also high functioning. I have to say that NBC is doing a very nice job! I hope my friends and family are watching so they understanding of what we are going through. Sometimes I feel like we are the only family with this problem. Seeing this coverage makes me remember that we are not the only ones fighting this battle.

SueM in MN said:
The Today Show link that I posted has a part called NBC Programming Guide that gives a little summary of what will be on each day. It also has information about the other programs that NBC will be running.

Sue,

I just want to thank you for all you do for this board. I am relatively new, and I appreciate your attention to the details. Keep up the good work!

I'll be tuning in. I'm in my second year as a paraprofessional working with 5-7 year olds with autism. Thank you for posting this information.

Tammi

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post. I have been lurking for a while now and am so impressed with the information posted on these boards. Impressed to say the least, just amazed really. We will be going to DW in April of next year and it is a bit overwhelming to even think of a trip like this with our now 4 1/2 year old son who has autism and is very low functioning, not to mention our daughter who will only be a bit over 2. I know, call us crazy, but we will be staying in a timeshare so it will be our safe haven when things get rough.

I have seen the Today show specials and our local network affiliated with NBC is also running segments all this week on autism. I am thrilled they are getting the word out about autsim, treatments, the reality of the toll it takes on families etc. However, I have to say, I haven't seen any segements yet that highlight children with low functioning autism. It seems to be children who are HF and who are now performing very well in typical classrooms. I just feel a bit left out and I know other parents might be thinking the same. There are still 2 more days of segments so maybe they will show some clips of what those of us are struggling with when our children don't learn so quickly. Bottom line though, these shows are GREAT for Autism awareness and hopefully the result will be more money spent towards looking for a cure for this devastating developmental disability.

Thanks to all of you for a wonderful place for me to get information on DW for our trip and for a warm place to go where everyone understands the challenges we face!!! I am so grateful. PS, if it weren't for my sister (Bellefan66), I wouldn't even have found you. I love my sister :love:

Cori A.l
Proud Mommy of 2, Nicholas 4 1/2, Maddie 1, and DH Ray

SOOOO glad you FINALLY posted!! I told you this place is a WEALTH of info.
Wished I'd seen the Today show,sadly I'm here at work.And I do agree w/ you,most of the info I see on Autism, is on HF,and not as much on LF autism. BTW, love you too! :love:

mickeyluvr4evr and Bellefan66,

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, that the Today show series on autism hasn't mentioned or focused on any LF autistic kids. I have a friend with a LF autistic daughter who also said the same thing. I hope the Today show will have something on LF kids. I have a strange feeling they won't, may not look good for ratings or the NBC network if they did, I guess, which isn't fair, IMO. I'm also wondering where are they finding the kids and families that they are interviewing? We have hundreds of autistic children in our school district and I haven't seen anyone on TV that I know. I personally don't know anyone in my school district that was interviewed for the series. Just wondering if they are focusing on any certain area of the country?

Roseprincess princess:

lewdyan1 said:
Sue,

I just want to thank you for all you do for this board. I am relatively new, and I appreciate your attention to the details. Keep up the good work!
Thank you. :goodvibes
it's all the good people who come here and post things that make the boards great. I just add little pieces here and there.

mickeyluvr4evr said:
Hi everyone,

This is my very first post. I have been lurking for a while now and am so impressed with the information posted on these boards. Impressed to say the least, just amazed really.
Cori A.l
Proud Mommy of 2, Nicholas 4 1/2, Maddie 1, and DH Ray
Welcome the disABILITIES Board. :wave:
Always glad to see new posters.

Here in Los Angeles there was an hour long special on Saturday on our local NBC station. It had a good balance of low functioning and high functioning children. Also, CNBC had a story that had a pretty good balance. Hopefully the Today show will include some of these stories.
I have to say that this week long series has meant so much to my family. It really helps to know that we are not the only family going through this.

Hi all

I agree that these shows have been so helpful to everyone in the Autism community including my family as well. I was thrilled today that the segment on the Today show really did show both low and hf children with autism. It truly is remarkable that they are running this series. So many people have asked me if I was aware it was on which shows that it is reaching a wide audience.

Have a great day everyone!
Cori

Yes. Todays' segment was a great mixture of high and low functioning children. My son's teacher mentioned that Newsweek magazine is also featuring autism in this weeks issue.

DS14 is an Aspie. Wish I could have seen the Today show segments, but I have to work sometime! :)

Did anybody see Scrubbs this week? The child of a friend of Dr. Cox's had autism. (In real life, the guy who plays Dr. Cox has an autistic child.)

Missiepie,
I was on autismspeaks.com and there was a link where you could order the entire week long segments, along with an additional one hour episode on dvd. It was free, you did have to pay s&h. I think it was around $3. Do a search for Autism Speaks and you should find it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter