Avatar Flight of Passage For Those Who Can't See 3D

ttintagel

DIS Veteran
Hi! I've got a question about the new Avatar Flight of Passage attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Part of my visual impairment is that I can't see the 3D part of 3D movies, because my eyes can't line up perfectly due to nerve damage. Several eye doctors and a vision therapist have reassured me that it's not that uncommon.

3D movies vary for me in their watchability: Captain EO just looks like it has a few scenes that are blurrier than others. I've seen some that were very blurry, and others that gave me headaches and motion sickness. (I haven't yet tried Toy Story Midway Mania, because I never got a wait time short enough to justify a projection I didn't know if I would be able to experience.)

To make a long story short (I know, too late!) has anyone with an issue similar to mine ridden Avatar Flight of Passage? Were you able to see enough of the projection, and see it clearly enough to enjoy the attraction?
--0-0--

I can ask my daughter when she gets home today - she does not have depth perception, and rode it in August.

Here is the weird thing. I only see out of one eye at a time but for some weird reason I actually see 3D at Disney. Only at Disney. Never can in movie theaters. Never have depth in real life. I have no idea why. Maybe you will be lucky too. I will never forget my first time seeing Mickey’s philharmagic and I saw things floating in front of my face. I wanted to reach out and grab them just like kids do. It was my first time in my life seeing depth (or I guess an illusion of it).

I see out of one eye at a time too most of the time I see double but it really is not that bad ( I see the same with the glasses on as I do off) I still love FOP.

Here are my thoughts about the 3D shows. They are listed in order of how old the show is. The newer the show, the better the 3D effects and the clearer the images.

Muppets 3D at the Studio - the movie is cute and does have some musical numbers. It is an older 3D movie and, although the whole movie is 3D, some of the ‘overview’ scenes that show a large view of the action at once do not really seem 3D.

Bug's Life at AK - the 3D effects at this show are not as good as Mickey’s Philharmagic, although the show is still good. The 3D effects are sometimes blurry for things you are not looking directly at, even for people without issues with seeing 3D. This is especially true for fast movement.

Mickey's Philharmagic at MK - the music is very good and the show would still be enjoyable even if you could not see the pictures. The pictures are also really good and would be worth seeing even without the music. This is a newer movie and has the best pictures and best 3D effects of the ones mentioned so far. I have watched portions of this with one eye covered and still get a 3D -ish effect.

Disney Pixar Movie Shorts at Epcot - the first movie (Get a Horse) stays the same and other movies are changed out. The first movie has the most ‘popping out of the screen’ 3D effects.
All of the movies have 3D effects, but the 3D effects are usually more subtle and more like real life, without much popping out of the screen. The movies that are showing right now follow a general pattern of being charming.

About the 3D effects; the technology in the movies use polarized or other special lenses. So, viewed thru one eye with the 3D glasses, there will still be a clear image. (I’ve tried it with all the 3D movies and it does work).
If you have differing vision in both eyes, cover the eye with the worst vision. The ‘trick’ of 3D movies in general is that each eye is provided with a slightly different view. When your brain puts the 2 images together, it interprets it as ‘real’ instead of 2 flat images.
On a visit a few years ago, my oldest DD and her DH were with us and saw Mickey’s Philharmagic.
My son in law has MS and was recovering from an MS episode when we went to WDW. One of the effects of his episode was that he had lost most vision in one eye (don't worry, it's all back now). The reason I mention it is that he is someone who previously had 3D vision and temporarily did not. He saw all the movies except Honey I Shrunk the Audience (NOTE: gone for quite a few years) and said none of them gave him a headache.
He said that Mickey's Philharmagic was really well done and did give a 3D appearance, even when viewed with one eye.
He is an artist (specifically, a comic book artist - and specifically in comics, his specialty is inking. The inker emphasizes lines and puts in shadows, highlights (and uses color, in color comics) to give an illusion of some things being farther back and some closer. The drawing artist uses blurred items in the background to make them appear farther away. He explained that they use the same techniques in the 3D movies to make things look 3D. You can even see that in 2D movies like the picture from Buzz Lightyear. Even though it is a flat image, all of the artistic choices combine to make it appear dimensional.
Woody---Buzz-Lightyear-toy-story-478714_1024_768.jpg

Finally addressing Flight of Passage....
The 3D technique seems to be fairly similar to Philharmagic and the Disney Pixar movies. So, as long as you keep the glasses on (and don’t have double vision), the movie should be clear.
It’s clearest and the 3D effects are most visible in the parts where you are either still or are moving slower. Honestly, some parts you are going so fast that I didn’t even notice if it was 3D or not.

Interesting review Sue. I do remember while reading it that I don’t see 3D much in muppets. I know I am supposed to at times but it never really popped for me. This explains why. Only saw bugs life once and no memory of it. Looking forward to FoP this summer!

My husband has low vision with several fancy labels, and he normally does not see 3D at theaters. He says he doesn't think he got all the 3D effect, but at times he saw 3D....but most importantly, he says that the images were very clear and not blurry at all like he has experienced before.

I have a hard time with most 3D effects; my brain wants to see the images separately most of the time. The newer 3D is a lot better. I see multiple images on Bugs Life, Philharmagic, and Muppets so they all give me severe headaches. The newer 3D effects in movies theatres, Toy Story, Star Wars, and FOP are a lot easier as long as I am looking straight on at them. If the ride turns or drops so that I'm not looking straight at the screen, the multiple images come back. I don't really get the 3D effect. I just can tell that there is depth. That said, I've yet to have had a headache from any of those rides.

Worst case scenario, if you get blurry vision on FoP, close one eye. You'll lose that one aspect of the rides inversión but with the motion and other sensory cues you should be ok.

If you know you won't be able to keep the images clear, wear an eye patch. It's silly but I had to do this following an eye injury when we went to a 3d movie.

The thing with FoP is that it's not just the 3d that makes it immersive. It's the seamless motion more than anything. Can't even compare it to anything. It really exceeded my expectations.

Thanks, all! I do have double vision and periodically close one eye when it gets to be too much, so that's no problem if it will help. And if it's even clearer than Muppetvision and Philharmagic, it should be fine!

Thanks for asking this question OP. I'll be going in September with my niece. She only has vision in one eye.

Thanks for asking this question! I’m going with my mom to WDW in a few weeks and I’ve been nervous about doing this ride with her. My mom is legally blind in one eye (she only sees shadows, vague shapes, and some colors out of it) and we have avoided 3D attractions/shows with her for years at the Disneyland parks when we go with her. She did Captain EO once upon a time and it was not good for her at all. I knew the technology had been updated since show, but I wasn’t sure how it would impact her. She did try TSMM this past December at WDW and said she could see things out of her good eye, so between that and what is being reported here, I’m hopeful it will go well and she can enjoy FoP.

My Mom has no depth perception, and she LOVED the ride last week! Since she has no frame of reference to compare it to, she's always had this issue her whole life.

Thanks, all! I do have double vision and periodically close one eye when it gets to be too much, so that's no problem if it will help. And if it's even clearer than Muppetvision and Philharmagic, it should be fine!
I have double vision and wear prism glasses. I have gone on FOP twice. Was able to see the screen with the glasses but the glasses kept falling off my head on the first time. The
second time I just held them on with my hand. I do have problem with 3D in the theaters but FOP was OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!