"Away" luggages

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but... We're in the market for new luggages and considering the Away luggages. Does anyone have experience with their luggages? Thanks in advance!

I got the small carry-on Christmas 2018 and it’s held up really well so far. I’ve never checked it, but I have pulled it down the street to the airport a few times. (A three mile walk). I travel a lot, and I can solidly recommend it.

I’ve had mine away bigger carry on for a year now. I LOVE it in a way I never knew you could love a suitcase. I swear it’s a black hole and I can fit so much in it. I’ve checked it a few times, carried it in a bunch. I have the light pink color and it gets scuffs and dirt, but because I’m insane I wipe with a magic eraser and it goes back to looking like new.

My husband has an away suitcase and so do two of my adult kids. They love their away bags. I am planning to get one for an upcoming trip!!

I’ve had mine away bigger carry on for a year now. I LOVE it in a way I never knew you could love a suitcase. I swear it’s a black hole and I can fit so much in it. I’ve checked it a few times, carried it in a bunch. I have the light pink color and it gets scuffs and dirt, but because I’m insane I wipe with a magic eraser and it goes back to looking like new.

With the "bigger carry on"... did you ever have any issues with using it as a carry on? Has any airlines made you check it in? Thanks!

My parents have a couple of pieces, and they travel frequently. They love how easy it is to move them

With the "bigger carry on"... did you ever have any issues with using it as a carry on? Has any airlines made you check it in? Thanks!
Not with the away brand, but with a suitcase only slightly larger than my small away carryon. British airways edinburgh to London.

I have not but I’ve only flown domestic with it. My husband had to check it once but it was a super tiny plane and everyone with a carry on larger than a person item had to check.

I've been an Away fan since the company started and think they are a great choice. My carry-on is still going strong but it is one of the first ones offered and needs a tool to pull the battery if your bag needs to be checked. A real pain. BUT Target just launched a new collection called Open Story which directly competes with Away and I have to say, the carry-on I ordered (for over $100 less) is a new favorite. I've only used it once but it has the YKK zippers and same fabulous Hinomoto wheels that make Away a superstar. And the color choices are yummy ;) The line also has backpacks, packing cubes, passport wallet and a weekender. Really, really impressed.

If you are flying domestically, no. European airlines, and especially Lufthansa, can be very strict about enforcing their size limits (and weight). And the bigger carry-on generally is larger than the European standards. And yes, we've had our carry-ons gate-checked (Lufthansa again) because they were an inch too long. YMMV

I've been an Away fan since the company started and think they are a great choice. My carry-on is still going strong but it is one of the first ones offered and needs a tool to pull the battery if your bag needs to be checked. A real pain. BUT Target just launched a new collection called Open Story which directly competes with Away and I have to say, the carry-on I ordered (for over $100 less) is a new favorite. I've only used it once but it has the YKK zippers and same fabulous Hinomoto wheels that make Away a superstar. And the color choices are yummy ;) The line also has backpacks, packing cubes, passport wallet and a weekender. Really, really impressed.
Thanks!!! I'll check it out too!

I don't know if it's something that would influence your purchase, but their company seems to treat their employees terribly and have created a toxic work environment.

The Verge link

I don't know if it's something that would influence your purchase, but their company seems to treat their employees terribly and have created a toxic work environment.

The Verge link
Thank you for sharing! Yah, I actually just saw the article last night as I was researching more. Looking at other options to compare.

Based on your post, I swung by the luggage department while I was at Target today to check out the Open Story stuff. I was impressed, too. I like the plastic Away uses in the body a bit better, it seems a little stronger and tougher. But the wheels were much smoother than the ones on my Delsey Helium carryon and the handle seemed sturdier. I really liked the backpacks and weekender, too, though I wish they came in more colors to match the luggage (that green is gorgeous).

Pricing seems a little high to me. Granted, they're cheaper than Away, but then Away's prices are kind of crazy. If that day trip backpack had been $50 instead of $80 and came in other colors, I probably would have bought one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter