Awkward solo rides for a "grown" man.

I posted in a previous thread I was going on my first solo trip in late August. I've had some experience in the parks by myself but that was only for a few hours or so. My biggest concern are rides like Small World, Frozen, Peter Pan, etc. I don't know how a guy in his 30's would look bobbing his head singing along to "it's a small world after all". My friend went on a solo trip last year and she had a great time, but I feel women don't get as scrutinized for being by themselves in Disney as a men do, anyway I guess this is a long winded way of getting a consensus of other people's opinions on the matter and what rides if any I should skip out of crippling fear of being looked at like a weirdo. Thank you all for reading this and look forward to reading your thoughts.
No one will care or be surprised. Thousands of solo guests, male and female, visit WDW each day. They want to ride all of the rides, see the characters, & get in touch with their inner child just as much as anyone else. It's nothing new or weird or shocking.

I don't worry about riding a ride by myself, but rather standing in line and having everyone stare at me like "who is this weirdo standing alone!"
But think about it: how many times have you been to WDW (or another park) with family or friends and seen someone solo in a line? And of all those times you've seen that, how often were you actually thinking, "Who is that weirdo standing alone?" Unless the person was doing something truly strange, probably never.

I am getting an AP in December and look forward to taking at least one long weekend solo trip. I don't worry about riding a ride by myself, but rather standing in line and having everyone stare at me like "who is this weirdo standing alone!" But, screw them, you'll likely never see them again anyway!
So, are podcasts and audiobooks the best way to compensate for that? I’ve been kind of wondering about that for longer lines.

So, are podcasts and audiobooks the best way to compensate for that? I’ve been kind of wondering about that for longer lines.

When I worked in WDW and would go in on my days off, I'd usually bring a paperback novel with me to read in long lines. That did get a few weird looks, because I think it signals to other people that you came into this thing expecting downtime where you would have to entertain yourself, as opposed to most guests who go in expecting to chat with each other whenever there isn't something happening to entertain them. Still didn't get any really negative comments, though; people would notice but they wouldn't be total jerks about it. I think having a pair of earbuds for a podcast would be a fairly subtle way to keep yourself entertained. Most of the time anymore I just load something up on my phone to read in line, since people checking their phones everywhere is so normal that it doesn't get any glances.

Honestly, WHO GIVES A CRAP what people think. Go on small world and bob your head proudly. Nobody will care, trust me!

Do you get the whole row for yourself if you're solo in Pirates and Small World?
I cant speak for small world cause i cant stand that ride. But for POTC, it all depends on how busy they are. For my solo trips i've been seated with people AND i've had my own row. It was great having my own row, I loved it!

I’ll add another vote for “no one cares, ride what you want”. I didn’t have a single problem on my first solo trip in January. Everyone is on their own vacation. Very few people pay attention to the person in the last seat in the row. Maybe Mom might decide to sit in the middle just in case, but that’s it.

I've done the WDW46 ride challenge twice (ride all rides in one day) and so I have experience riding all the "kiddie" rides by myself. I can't recall anyone ever looking at my strangely.

At the same time, I spent most of my time in line looking at my phone and making sure I was still on schedule, so it's possible that people were looking at me strangely -- but I didn't notice. Honestly, I get more flak from my buddies that I'm going to Disney solo.

Like someone else said -- people there with their families are not paying attention to anyone else. They're too busy making sure their kids aren't running into anyone else.

If you're worried about talking to anyone while you're in line, putting some earbuds in will likely prevent anyone from trying to strike up a conversation with you.

Do you get the whole row for yourself if you're solo in Pirates and Small World?

In all my solo trips (thus MANY rides), I've only had to share a row once-the Nav'i River Ride. I think it depends on how busy the ride is, the wait time. On Magic Carpets and Triceratops Spin, I've not only gotten my own row, but my own carpet/disnosaur! After all the being alone on rides, it did feel a little strange when they, understandably, sat me next to others on Test Track!

My camera is my shield for the (very rare) uncomfortable situation. I just tell people I'm practicing my dark photography, which is boring for some folks. More often, though, either no one knows I'm solo or no one cares. I think a lot of it is based in your own attitude and body language! Act like you belong there (because you do) and no one is going to question it. Personally, I enjoy my solo trips the most!

I've never done a solo trip but I'm working on planning one. No solid plans. Obviously I'm female, but I am a little nervous about going solo and what folks might think HOWEVER I'm going to just do it anyway. I think once I get there and in the moment in my happy place - I won't care. Like the great quote from Gone With the Wind..."I don't give a ^%#$@."

I am 50 this year and still go on solo trips every year. Last year at rope drop I got a whole boat to myself on POC at DLR! Nothing awkward about that....

I've gotten pretty good at spotting other solo travelers at WDW - and yep - I've since solo men on EVERY ride - including Small World and Dumbo. Just own the fact you are there and ride what you want.

One busy day there were two of us back to back in POTC line - and the CM caught it and asked if we minded sharing a row - but most of the time - for the boat rides - you get your own row. I got put in the same row with a mom and little girl folks on Navi one time, too. And 7DMT - they fill all seats.

I've gotten pretty good at spotting other solo travelers at WDW - and yep - I've since solo men on EVERY ride - including Small World and Dumbo. Just own the fact you are there and ride what you want.

Agree, most people aren't keeping an eye out for other solo travelers, but if you do, you'll spot them. Independent vacationers, people who wander away from their group, people in town on business, off-duty cast members (including management types) with some time to kill, annual passholders who just come into the parks to do a few things, etc..

It's really not a big deal. Nobody really cares, and if they do think it's weird, so what? I'm a grown man and I never hesitate to ride Small world, or Frozen Ever After. I'll watch the Frozen Sing-a-Long or The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Nobody ever seems to worry about it.

I have ridden all sorts of rides solo at Disney. I even went on Helmich's Chew Chew train at DCA solo once! I don't really bob my head and sing along. I tend to blend into the background.

On IASW and POTC, when I ride solo, they usually give me the back row to myself. The back row is big enough for two adult butts and one kid butt. It's not very easy to fill unless you find two adults or tw adults and one kid.

You know why you're there. And that you have no other intentions beyond having fun. That's all that matters. Have your fun. Go on the rides you want.

Do it! I had an almost 40 year old friend who went solo to DL and was too ashamed to take pictures with the princesses. He still kicks himself for that. If anyone judges, that is something deficient in them, not you.

I've visiting the parks solo at least once a week for years and for the most part I never really consider what others might think about me, however while I'm riding some of those rides where people actually see you riding solo like Dumbo, Peter Pan, or Buzz for example do I feel a little awkward if I really think about it but those feelings quickly go away as the ride begins because I really don't care what others might think.

I posted in a previous thread I was going on my first solo trip in late August. I've had some experience in the parks by myself but that was only for a few hours or so. My biggest concern are rides like Small World, Frozen, Peter Pan, etc. I don't know how a guy in his 30's would look bobbing his head singing along to "it's a small world after all". My friend went on a solo trip last year and she had a great time, but I feel women don't get as scrutinized for being by themselves in Disney as a men do, anyway I guess this is a long winded way of getting a consensus of other people's opinions on the matter and what rides if any I should skip out of crippling fear of being looked at like a weirdo. Thank you all for reading this and look forward to reading your thoughts.

Please believe me... no one cares or is paying attention. You could be on any ride because for whatever reason you are separated from your group. I am going on my back to back solo number three in November. People really don't notice or care. They don't really know you are "Solo." Do whatever ride moves you, including Small World. If you're chatting with strangers in line you can say your wife and daughter (or whatever) - are doing whatever (meeting Tiana), and Small World is still your favorite ride since you were a kid (no one needs to know that you visiting or traveling alone. Male or female - I don't think that's anybody's business or even safe). They'll just smile and chat along with you. Not once during my past two solo trips (8 days both trips) has anyone asked me... ARE YOU ALONE? Not one person! I look like I'm having a ball, and no one cares to ask.
Enjoy!

It’s only awkward if you feel awkward, in my experience. I had the same concern when I was in Orlando by myself for work (and even posted in the solo forum). I’m glad I listened to the advice on here because I had a blast!

Very true about the awkwardness. Let all inhibitions go and you'll surprise yourself that no one cares if you don't care. People can detect if you don't feel comfortable. I too am glad that I listened to this group back in 2015. I told myself I could never do a Disney vacation alone until I read the 2015 Solo posts here on the boards. Best decision ever to go Solo, and doing it again come November. Had a blast both times and November will be my third!

Another thing, in my experience, most people who don't "solo travel" really admire the confidence, independence, and "live your life-ness" solo travellers have. If you, for some reason, find someone who judges (unlikely)? My inner monologue is usually "well, I'm sorry for you, but I'm'a rock this!" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!