BACK AGAIN?? 10 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS.....MAY 18 TRIP REPORT

My teenage daughter would love that spinner, but I don't think I could watch her on it or even know that she was going on it. !

I have another question for you, if you don't mind. I think you've said that you don't really pay attention to drink prices, but I'm not used to those kinds of prices. Do you know if there's anywhere onsite (resorts, CityWalk, or parks) that offers happy hour deals or lower prices and wouldn't require me to sit at a non-kid-friendly bar with my kids sipping their cups of ice water. (We do actually like Florida water, but we're used to bad tap water.) This may make me sound cheap, but I try to cut costs on some things so that we can splurge on others. :)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/happy-hour-universal-happy-hour-information.1934375/

This is the link to the thread for Happy Hour details...…

It is out of date, but no one has really updated it regularly...….but, it should give you an idea of what type of places you can get Happy hour deals at...….

MONDAY MAY 21ST...……..

Always a sad feeling to wake and it`s your last day...……:(

We as usual awoke really early...….although neither of us could really be bothered moving yet...….I guess it was that feeling of trying to prolong the inevitable but eventually we dragged ourselves into the shower and got ready to go down for breakfast...…..we loved the view from our suite and opening the drapes we saw the morning was going to be lovely...….forecast for later wasn't so good, but for now we thought we`d have breakfast and head into the park for one or two rides before we checked out...…….

Breakfast was going to be the buffet from Amatista again...….we had really enjoyed it when we had eaten in there for breakfast, so for our last morning we thought it would be a nice end...…..

We got seated immediately......it was fairly quiet and had been quiet for most of our trip we had noticed. But, it was peaceful...…..the young lady looking after us was called Tia and she was very enthusiastic at taking care of us...….very friendly and she obviously enjoyed her job a lot...…..we told her we would be having the buffet and we would love coffee...…..

I started off with some smoked salmon which I love, and some very healthy grapes...……seems fair now and again...…..

i-CsWh9fG-XL.jpg

Closely followed by those gorgeous little sausages and a few other items...…….

i-XTdMDKx-XL.jpg

Tom meanwhile had gone up to the omelette station...…..this was fabulous!!! But, he decided against an omelette this time and went for sunny side up eggs and the usual selection of items.....I didn't take a picture of it for some reason. But, the guy who worked the omelette station was called Safari and he was the coolest guy ever!!!! He came from the Caribbean and got chatting to Tom about weather...…..Tom told him what our weather can be like and he just shook his head in disbelief and Tom said he even began to look cold hearing all about it...….he said, no he couldn't deal with that type of weather...….but, super nice guy and Tom said next time he`ll have the omelette……….

We chatted briefly some more to Tia and then paid the check and headed up to our room. We loved the scenery around this hotel...….so beautiful.....

i-zH3Dcdg-XL.jpg

i-jcVvzzz-XL.jpg

i-VqmKqQN-XL.jpg

We left a message on Skype for Kyle and told him we`d be back in an hour or so as we were going into IOA...…..he was on a day off today so was around, he messaged back to say he`d be there...…...so we got some sunscreen on and headed down to get the boat.

Thankfully there was one waiting to go, so we got on just before it left...….this was really going to be short visit.

We got in to IOA and it felt hotter than expected...….I said I`d fancy another shower before we left today now...…..but, we got in and it was busier than we expected for early on an Monday morning, not mobbed by any means, just busier. We went straight to Dr Doom and rode that a few times. We love this short but very sweet ride...….waiting to be propelled in the air is one of the best bits...….and then you`re off...…..you can see for miles up here...…..so much fun, albeit short. We did this ride 4 times today...….and looked forward to riding it again.

We walked straight on to Spiderman and we almost had the ride vehicle to ourselves...…..but, two women appeared just behind us and got on the back row.....we were on the front. And again, a fun ride...…….

We didn't bring a bag or camera for this visit, as it was just a quick dash...….but, we had enjoyed our quick blast of thrill ride for this trip......we didn't do The Hulk as we had eaten rather a lot for breakfast...…..next time.

We got the boat back to the hotel and it was almost empty...….and then we were back in the room. I got showered again......did my hair again as I did feel a little unkempt from the rides and early heat...….although to be honest on travel days, we don't really care as the flight doesn't do anybody any favours!!!!

But, we then Skyped Kyle and he answered straight away...…..he was doing so good!!!! We chatted for ages and he had some good stories for us today....

i-LcRGzVj-XL.jpg

We said our goodbyes and happily mused we would see him tomorrow...…..he would be at work till 5pm next day, so we would have had our sleep before he came home...…..:hug:

We then began to pack up the final things we need to squeeze into these ever expanding suitcases. I hear some people say they only travel with hand luggage......not a clue how they do it for long trips...….although I don't have the inclination to do it at all...….I do know at times there have been a few unhappy passengers when folks hand luggage is a ridiculous size for the cabin......they try to squeeze it in and leaves little room for those that do have regular sized hand luggage...….but, not for us......we don't mind having hold luggage and it holds all our purchases easily.

We do manage to close the cases and give them a weigh...…..oops!!!!! Thankfully we are Premium on the flight so have the extra weight of 32 KG instead of 23KG. No worries there...……

Some last images of the room and our view...……

i-62jpGvZ-XL.jpg

i-PWDbGk3-XL.jpg

i-SQSrd8z-XL.jpg

We didn't need a late check out today as our flight was relatively early. Although we had been offered one, we could easily be out of the room for 11am, however they said it would be fine if we were later which was as always nice of them. But, we made it out for around 11.30 and made the sad walk of shame down to the lobby with our full to bursting suitcases...….

We went and sat in the empty StrongWater Bar...….no one minds you sitting in there during the day or out on the patio area...…..we were really just sorting out flight stuff and checking emails only to discover I wasn't receiving any at that point. We do sometimes have issues sending and receiving them while we are in America........The food and beverage manager Phil came over to chat to us and asked if there was anything he could get us, we thanked him and said no we were fine.....just sad to leave again...…..but we told him how much we had enjoyed our many visits this trip and on previous ones with both food and service. And of course the quality of the cocktails in particular!!! He did laugh when I said I thought I had now tried every one...….and was glad to hear it.....he was a very nice man who we had seen around a few times but had never spoken to him. But, it passed a good 20 minutes again, postponing the inevitable.

We began to head out of the hotel and felt sad despite knowing we`d be back soon, when we saw a smiling face approach us. It was the lovely Larry Beiderman again. How lovely to see him twice this trip...…...he certainly knew us this time......lol......we had a lovely chat with him and again told him how much we enjoyed our stays there...….he was as always happy to hear such wonderful things about their hotels......we have a hug and say our final goodbye for this trip and head out to the garage to load up the car.

We head up to the roof first to have a look at what the view is from up there...….we had meant to go up before but never got around to it. It was incredibly quiet...…..and the weather was indeed changing to a very dull sky...…..

i-ms3GTM2-XL.jpg

i-h4zmwtJ-XL.jpg

i-mRnxpnc-XL.jpg

Aventura is going to look so cool when it`s all finished...….it doesn't tower too badly over the other hotels, but does look impressive. We are looking forward to seeing it when it`s open...….and the food looks to be very good!!!!

The newer value hotels are coming along too...….these are going to be incredibly popular with larger families.....and families in general......it looks to be a very bright and cheerful place to visit...…..

i-QcH7SXX-XL.jpg

We get back in the car and start the journey to the airport. It`s always lovely to come up Universal Boulevard when we are arriving......it`s a whole other thing when we`re heading for the airport...…….

I try every time we leave to capture the Orlando Eye from a moving car as we pass......the first time I did it, it was dead centre…….don`t know how I managed it, but it looked good...…..and today I would try again...……

Not too bad from a vehicle doing 40mph!!!

i-jDjPvrr-XL.jpg

Doesn't take long to get to the airport. We drop the car with Alamo and it`s so easy with them. No hassles or trying to say you have stuff to pay when you don`t. One of the many reasons we won`t use Dollar again!!!

Once we have emptied the vehicle its a short walk over to the terminal where we take our last gulps of fresh air for many hours!!!!

We find our carriers check in area...…...because we are a little later the line is huge...….they haven't started check in yet...….but we are in the Premium line and there are only 6 people in front of us.....this isn't going to be bad at all getting checked in.

A man wanders along and checks we are all Premium passengers in this line, we say yes we are, but four of the folks in front of us look a little annoyed to be asked and say no they are only "cattle class".... their words not mine. They are not very happy at having to move to join what is now a huge line for economy.

The signs are pretty clear what line it is, but they maybe didn't notice it.

It was only a few moments later when they opened check in and we got our bags weighed and checked when we handed in the Global Entry ticket we had been told to hand over as we left the country...….she said yes, we should give it to her...….we so hoped this was the right thing to do!!!! Got our boarding cards and then set off through to the food court to pass some time away...……

We were now a little puckish so we each got a slice of pizza as we didn't feel like a full meal. It was nice and filled a gap till we got on the plane. It is always so busy here...….checked my ipad and now I could get emails!!!! Not sure what delayed them...….but had a few to catch up on.

i-BxPjpq8-XL.jpg

i-7rdFsGD-XL.jpg

I really like Orlando airport...…..and always take the same pictures just before we go through for our flight...……..

i-zq5Jfsn-XL.jpg

i-NbhGcrB-XL.jpg

With Global Entry we had TSA Pre Check, so we joined a very short line and got through in no time at all...…...no shoes off or ipads out is so much easier but as I went through the scanner I got pulled aside for a swab of my clothes and one electrical item from my hand luggage...….then we were heading to the mini monorail...…….

Short and not so sweet ride this way...…..

We have a quick look around Duty Free and see quite a few things we would have...….we purchase a couple of bottles of brandy and will pick them up on the plane.

We notice the gate on our ticket is an unusual one, so we check the board and it does indeed say gate 90. We don't ever fly from there but we see some people from the line we were in so assume it must be right...….talk about following the herd!!!! However the gate is showing a flight to Peru :scared1: we figure then there must have been a mistake and wrong gate has been put on our boarding card...……

Eventually we do wander down to the correct gate, to see a family of around 20 people who look as though they may be South American sitting at the gate for the Manchester flight...…..we speak to one of them and tell them there may have been a mix up...….they say they were just about to ask as none of us looked like we were heading to Peru...…..:rotfl:

Yes, they had mixed up the gates!!!

We are sitting with our backs to the gate and folks begin to line up all the way down the aisle...…..we are getting on first along with assistance passengers, then they board the plane from the ack in sections at a time......but, doesn't stop folks still lining up regardless where they are on the plane...…..

Again, we have to say excuse us as we try to get through the standing line despite them being asked to sit down...…..but, we get through and get on the plane...…..we had rather unusually moved seats on this flight. There had been a change of plane last minute, these things happen.....we still had extra leg room seats which we were happy about. However one woman got on the plane and began complaining rather noisily how unhappy she was being separated form her son......she said she had booked over a year ago...….nothing the flight crew could do really, especially as her son was an adult!!!! I expected to see a small child but it wasn't. We still like to sit together so I understood her annoyance, but no point in getting annoyed at Cabin Crew...…..

We took off on time thankfully, and rather surprisingly there was only one flight taking off in front of us...….we had seen sometimes 15 to 20 planes ahead...….but we would be off very prompt. And we were...…..another really good smooth take off...……

We got drinks almost immediately and I took advantage of this as Tom was driving at the other end. I also enjoyed his wine with dinner when it came around......I was trying to make sure I felt very sleepy for this flight...…...food was surprisingly good, it usually isn't as good coming home for some reason, but this was quite decent. I forget what it was now but I think it was chicken...…..:scratchin

Flight was decent apart from the one child who squalled all the way. There`s always one. Joys of a night flight home from Orlando. I managed to sleep for a couple of hours....but, I have noise cancelling headphones, a neck pillow, eye mask and wrap the blanket around me so I`m toasty warm......although had to take it off as cabin was too hot. Soon as the lights were dimmed I was out. Not the comfiest of seats on this flight though...….they weren't the ones we were supposed to get though...but before long the lights were on and breakfast as it was, was being served...…..I didn't take it but did take some water.

We landed a little early, it was a nice bumpy landing which I love......…

Got off the plane quickly as we were exit row and walked the seemingly 10 mile walk to passport control...…..this is all automated now so you generally don't need to even speak to an officer unless there`s an issue I imagine. But, we were through in seconds and then began the wait for luggage.

Being Premium passengers, our luggage should have been among the first off. And although they weren't first, it wasn't a bad wait. However, one of our cases seemed to be wet on top...….we did the sniff test to see if it was the rum we had bought in Orlando......no alcohol smell......wondered if it was the olive oil...….but, again no. Looked as though they may have got a little wet waiting to get put on the flight. Phew...……

We stop off for breakfast at a place we have used before...….and the best cup of tea around!!!! Till we get home of course...….after drinking nothing but coffee for our trips......our first cup of tea is most welcome. And a real bacon sandwich...…...I love most things American......but we do tea and bacon so much better...…..:duck:

We head to the Radisson and collect our car. It`s a 10 minute walk from this terminal at most. Pick up the keyfobs and use the bathroom and get the car loaded up...…..get Tom`s phone turned on and send Kyle a txt to say we are home......he will see it when he checks his phone.

The sun is indeed shining and we set off the 3 hour plus journey back down the road home to the opposite side of the country...…….

Trying to stay awake is hard...…..Tom finds it fairly easy as he is driving so can stay alert, but finds it easier if I`m chatting to him...….not easy when your eyes are fighting to close. We had slept a little on the plane, but it`s never enough.

Finally we arrive and it is always nice to be home. We drop the cases between laundry room and kitchen and take the time to unpack all the washing which I have thoughtfully separated into bags this time...….I gave myself a pat on the back for being so organized with my laundry!!!! And even manage to stick the first load on...…..

Kyle had left the house tidy and clean.....he always does though...…..we did manage a cup of tea before we headed upstairs to conk out.

I did jump in the shower though as I felt that horrible way you feel after a long flight...….ready for a shower!!!! Normally I would worry it would waken me up, but no fear of that...….Tom went in after me and by the time he was out I was sound asleep...…

We slept for 3 hours and when the alarm went off I felt that horrible jetlag feeling of being a little nauseous, groggy and fighting the urge to crawl back into bed...…..

Downstairs we had another cuppa……..and sorted out all the purchases...….thankfully everything again survived with no breakages. We had been incredibly lucky and had never had anything ruined in flight. We set some things out on the kitchen worktops to be sorted out later and then separated what was for other people.

Kyle came home around 5.45pm and we hugged the life out of him...…..it was so good to see him and he looked so well. This job was definitely suiting him down to the ground...…..we love he still lives at home and I dread the day he tells me he`s buying his own place and will be off...….but, will deal with that at the time...……

We got Chinese food and enjoyed that, all the while catching up with each others stories...…...it is good to be back. We managed to stay awake till 11pm, so hoped that was late enough to curb serious jet lag...…..and we slept like logs.

That`s us for another trip.

Thank you so much for following along...……...I have enjoyed each and every comment from everyone who has posted. It makes it a real pleasure to write at times when you get such lovely remarks.

We had the most amazing trip again and enjoyed every second of it. Even the rain didn't manage to put a damper on our enjoyment...…..it was still a fabulous vacation. Hotel was fabulous and we are so looking forward to going back soon.

Thank you once again...…...I hope it was an enjoyable read...…….:wave2:

Now that this trip is over and trip report has been completed for it too, it`s time for me to turn my attention to our next trip.

Last year after we got home from our September trip, we booked flights and The New York Palace for 5 nights this July. We had enjoyed our time in NY so much so Tom knew he wanted to go back and fairly quickly...….

We booked the hotel directly but this time booked The Towers within the hotel. Better rooms, designated check in area away from the regular check in desk and much higher floors. We knew last year we wanted to do that this time. Just because.

So with the hotel, flights and airport hotel sorted we were ready and just had to wait.

Fast Forward to arriving for our May trip at Sapphire Falls, we knew we wanted to come back and come back fairly quickly. We had our September and December trips booked and were staying at RPR. So we began to wonder should we add some nights on to our NY trip in July...…..why not.....we were fairly close to Orlando so it seemed silly not to fly down......we spoke to our friend when we arrived and he said, no problem...….so that was sorted...…..

We had to wait till we got home to amend our flights home from JFK to departing from MCO. I had checked the flight and there were Premium seats available. For now.

Meanwhile, I went online and booked our flights from JFK down to MCO. We again, booked with JetBlue......we really liked them last time. We managed to get a flight that suited us, extra space seats and one checked bag each for just under $500. We were happy with that. I swear if we were only a few hours flight time away, we`d be there every month!!!

Once we were home, I got on to the airline and did indeed change the flights from one to another, of course there is an amendment fee for this and the difference in flight cost.....but we did manage to get the Premium seats we wanted.

Now, we need a rental car. Costs of this can vary so much, but the companies we tend to use don't allow changes once it`s booked......I know some friends in the States can amend all the time if it comes up cheaper...….nah, once you`ve booked that's it. We thought it might be more expensive as it was peak summer time, but we managed to get a Premium SUV for around $650. Not bad at all.

So, we were all set.

As for plans, anyone who knows us knows we don't plan to within an inch of our life......we generally don't plan at all, except to meet friends.

NY we are going out to meet my family on the Saturday. We take the LIRR out to where they live and spend the day with my aunt, cousins and their husbands and kids. It was a lovely day last year, and we are looking forward to doing it again.

Rest of the time in NYC will be trying to stay cool!!!! Mum and I did a boat tour round the Island few years back, and I think Tom will enjoy that...….rest of the time will be whatever we wake up and decide to do.

We have seen all the major attractions we want to see, so may not bother doing things like ESB again...…..we`ll see.

Orlando will be pool time, relaxing and maybe some park time at night......looking forward to seeing the new nighttime show around the lagoon and doing some rides in the dark...….Dr Doom and RRR I mean you!!!!

We have a few trips organized, and I have to say I do get confused with what trip we`re talking about at times...…..so, the ones we have booked since last year are...…..

JULY......5 NIGHTS NYC/7 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...…...5 SLEEPS :jumping1:

SEPTEMBER...…..19 NIGHTS RPR &HHN...…...67 SLEEPS

NOV/DEC WITH KYLE...…...10 NIGHTS RPR...…….144 SLEEPS

MARCH `19......14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...….243 SLEEPS

MAY`19...….14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...…..304 SLEEPS

My husband taking early retirement was the best decision ever!!!!

So, that's my Pre Trip Report...…as much of one as I will ever do...….we of course get incredibly excited for all our trips, we plan among ourselves restaurant choices, places we might like to go......but we like to surprise ourselves too...…..::yes::

I`m sure there will be a trip report coming up when we get home...….although we don't plan to do much so it may be a very short one...……

But, for now...…...:wave2:

Last edited:
I’m laughing right now!!!! Reading Star Wars???? Now, you know I love books like you do......but, I tried to read war and peace once.........couldn’t even make a dent in it.........that’s what I’d be like with SW books!! Although I now have a Christmas present idea..........never thought about getting him the books........now he’s a gentleman of leisure he’ll have the time to read them!!

You need to book a trip to see Star Wars at Disney when it opens and I’ll send Tom along with you and Davy........doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest........but you all would have a blast!! ::yes::

we plan on going to Disney in 2020! :) Send Tom!

Another fantastic TR! I always enjoy following along.

Thank you for sharing your vacations and knowledge with the Dis!!

Another fantastic TR! I always enjoy following along.

Thank you for sharing your vacations and knowledge with the Dis!!

Thank you so much!!!!

I was so glad to see you reading along.....and so glad you enjoyed it...……

it means a lot for you to say so...……:wave2:

Another great trip- yeah sucks about the rain and that we didn't get to meet up. Always next time lol!
Too bad about the plane switch too. But now you are just a few days away from another trip! Yay!

Another great trip- yeah sucks about the rain and that we didn't get to meet up. Always next time lol!
Too bad about the plane switch too. But now you are just a few days away from another trip! Yay!

Aww thanks MonyK…...yes, I was sorry our plans didn't quite work this time, but we have plenty of trips upcoming...so surely we`ll manage something in one of them...……

we were quite unlucky with meets with a few people this time, but these things happen...…..

Glad you enjoyed it, and yep......5 sleeps!!!

Nice TR as always! You're very blessed to be able to travel so often! Your luggage is always packed! :)

It’s a very good thing that you have more trips set up for this year

Don’t know what I would do if you ever stopped writing and sharing your trip reports with us!

Have always enjoyed them

Nice TR as always! You're very blessed to be able to travel so often! Your luggage is always packed! :)

Thanks Patty.

We are very lucky indeed to be able to travel so often from such a distance, and we appreciate every single trip.

Yes, our luggage is quite the challenge every trip!

Another thoroughly enjoyable read! Can't wait to hear about the July adventures!

Awww thanks Andrea.........

I’m so pleased you enjoyed it.......

I still think about that night we met.........I wish we had longer to chat.......but I know what it’s like........maybe another time we’ll manage a proper chat.........

July coming right up.......although as I said, we have no plans so I may have nothing to write about.........:rotfl:

But, thank you for the lovely comments along the way, I do appreciate them all.........:wave2:

It’s a very good thing that you have more trips set up for this year

Don’t know what I would do if you ever stopped writing and sharing your trip reports with us!

Have always enjoyed them

I bet your luggage is as heavy when returning home as it is when you first go to Orlando

Lol......yes, our luggage weight is a source of amusement to some people........we really don’t like shopping........:rolleyes1

I am always thrilled you enjoy the trip reports..........it truly does mean a lot........

And as long as we travel.......I’ll write about them........you know me, I love writing, it is a genuine love of mine, although I’m no Shakespeare or Charles Dickens........:laughing:

But, thank you too for the lovely comments along the way.........:wave2:

Thanks for another wonderful trip report Carole...I'm so glad you're going back soon so we can share in your next adventure.

Kyle is kind of like Alfred Hitchcock in your trip report or Stan Lee in the Marvel movies...yep...I agree he needs to be in all of them ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter