Back from 1st OKW trip home 10/15 - 10/23(xtra long)

WithDisneySpirit

DIS Veteran
We were home for the first time to OKW and it was an unqualified success!!!!! Attending were me, DH, DS15, DS12, DM and DF.

We arrived Fri, Oct 15 and stayed in a nearby hotel the first night. We arrived at OKW the next morning at about 10 am. My teens were so impressed with the heartfelt Welcome Home we received at the gate!!! Our room was not ready yet, so off we went to World Showcase. I think the F&WF is more enjoyable during the week, less crowded when we went back on Thursday:sunny:

At 4:30, we went back to check out our room, a 2 bedroom. We got all room requests except an upper floor (got non -smoking and one of the 60 bldgs). The room was 6212 on the first floor and we absolutely LOVED it. Being on the bottom gave us a great view of the beautiful birds outside our balcony too! The rooms were in beautiful shape. The only thing I noticed were a few minor stains on the new loveseat. We were all very impressed and spoiled to say the least. My mom and dad said it was their best trip ever to Disney.

We planned each of the 4 parks for a day with an extra for EPCOT, a Blizzard Beach day, MNSSHP - Oct 20, and a Disney Quest day for DH and DS's while Mom and Dad and Lisa went to DD
:teeth: We spent the middle of the afternoon most days at our resort but we would have enjoyed more time at OKW if we could have.

Mom and I would have loved the directions to Publix I just printed this past Tuesday from the Dis. We spent the better part of two hours Saturday night lost:eek: We also bought a bit too much food. My DS 15 was our breakfast cook two mornings, making us french toast one day and scrambled eggs and bacon another day. I have only two pounds left to lose of ice cream weight I put on at Disney:earsgirl: We loved Ghirardelli's and the Mickey bars, yum!

Oh, and I can vouch for the use of Sprint cellphones at Disney! My DS,12 was able to call girlfriend, Allie from any and all spots in Walt Disney World. His favorite, however, was the balcony! We did find him in the laundry room a couple times - great place for a private phone call:jester:

My DH and DS12 said to tell you not to rent hydrobikes unless you are in great shape and want a 30 minute workout! They entertained everyone at the dock and I am just sorry the camera wasn't with us on that outing:p

My DF had wonderful magic happen at the Conch flats General Store! We were all pin collecting and trading:crazy: and he was asking about the pin with just Mickey's face. These were from several years ago obviously but a CM at Conch Flats told him that she thought the manager had several. After many visits to catch the manager in and many phone calls, he was ready to give up. He went back in one last time as we were checking out and the CM on duty looked in the back and brought out two Mickey pins the manager had left for Dad:sunny: She gave them to him as a gift! He was sooo happy!

We had the best time ever. My Mom said it was the highlight of her old age and my Dad said he hoped she was planning more old age and more highlights ::yes::

Ask any questions you wish...

Lisa

WithDisneySpirit: Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time at OKW. Not only were you there at the same time we were, but we were in unit 6222! Our family was very impressed with OKW as well -- we thought building #62 was great in terms of location, convenience & the views. We were on the balcony feeding the ducks one morning and said hello to some people below us who were also feeding the ducks!! More than likely it was you and your gang! It's a small world (after all)....

Yes we did have so much fun! Can't wait to go back home again...

RuthnPaul: I'm sure that was y'all also because we saw someone on the second floor doing a lot of duck feeding. They were throwing Cheerios to the ducks. We had bought Oyster crackers at Publix just for the birds which included ducks, ibis and pretty little blackbirds:sunny:

Lisa

:sunny:

Great trip report Lisa! Thank you!
I'm very glad you all had so much fun! My son & I will be there very shortly!! Single digits :)

What pool did you use since the main pool is closed??? Your building wasn't that close to the quiet pool. Did you mind walking over there, if you did that is?
Thanks Lisa!
Kim

:flower3:

Hi Tink03477!

Well, I do have two kids who LOVE the water so this is really strange! We went to Blizzard Beach for the first time this trip and the kids had a blast. My mom and I loved Castaway Creek too. Dad and DH are not water lovers.

Anyway, the kids went to inspect the work at Old Key West. I made two opportunities to pool hop to SSR and WL but they weren't interested this trip. I think they were too into the pins this time. They are 15 and 12 and when we came home for rest, DS15 had an Xbox with him and DS12 had a girlfriend to call and his music:p

We went to Beaches & Cream twice:teeth: because we had Q&C vouchers and DS12 said we needed to stay at BCV next time because he wanted to swim in SAB so much::yes::

I'm sure their next trip will have much water involved as it will likely be a summer trip!

Hope you have as much fun as we did:sunny:

Lisa:sunny:

One more thing, there are buses to take you around OKW and I believe since there are three quiet pools, the walk probably is relatively short.

Loved reading your trip report. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family! Thank you for posting!

Thank you very much for the information Lisa! I was thinking that we probably won't swim too much on this trip either. It's too short!! :sad1:
Kim
:flower3:

Sounds like a great trip! If you had a first floor 2bedroom, you must have been under a GV. Was there a lot of noise from moving chairs etc above? I felt sorry for the folks below us a couple of weeks ago. Mornings with 12 people getting breakfast meant lots of moving chairs across those hardwood floors in the morning!

You know, Dianeschlicht, I was really wondering if we were under a grand villa that week. The good news is that I only heard noise a couple of times to really notice it and thankfully, not at night
:sunny:

I did bring earplugs for the trip because I read about a couple of rides that are very loud and my DH used some to sleep at night. I noticed more noise at 5:30 to 6:00 with workers mowing the golf course. That DID surprise me.

Overall, however, I was sooo pleased with everything at OKW:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter