Back Stage Magic hotel question

BRC6C

Mouseketeer
I have recently booked a July BSM trip for my 15-year-old son and myself. We are leaving the less Disney-obsessed husband/father behind.

I am getting mixed messages about where we stay at Disneyland. The ABD site says Grand Californian but other places list the Disneyland Hotel. Doesn't really matter, just curious...

It's my understanding that the Grand Californian is undergoing refurbishment, so the BSM ABD is staying at the Disneyland hotel until that's finished. So I guess it depends on when your trip is in relation to that. I'd call ABD for clarification on which hotel your specific departure is staying at.

Sayhello

Yes, it was the DL hotel this year while the GC was undergoing refurbishment. We were in the DL hotel in December, but we were told the trip was going back to GC next year since all the construction is complete. We enjoyed the DL hotel and the GC is beautiful. I don’t think you can go wrong with either option. It’s a great trip! I left my husband , who doesn’t care for Disney, at home too

I have recently booked a July BSM trip for my 15-year-old son and myself. We are leaving the less Disney-obsessed husband/father behind.

I am getting mixed messages about where we stay at Disneyland. The ABD site says Grand Californian but other places list the Disneyland Hotel. Doesn't really matter, just curious...

We are booked for a July 2018 BSM trip as well, and I have been told by both our travel agent and a vaciaonista that we will be staying at the Grand California as the refurb will be completed by then.

Just booked the July 15th trip for me and my daughter and my agent confirmed the Grand Californian, so looks like a good bet! Which July trip are you taking?

Thanks for the update! We are on the July 8 departure... Had to squeeze it in between a family reunion and my son's theater camp!

Thanks for the update! We are on the July 8 departure... Had to squeeze it in between a family reunion and my son's theater camp!

Wonderful! Have an amazing time ... squeezing in as well between my daughters two camp sessions! Feel free to share any planning advice, I think we are going to do a Universal pre-day...

Wonderful! Have an amazing time ... squeezing in as well between my daughters two camp sessions! Feel free to share any planning advice, I think we are going to do a Universal pre-day...

Highly recommend the VIP experience at Universal for pre-day. We did this in December and it was awesome!

Just booked the July 15th trip for me and my daughter and my agent confirmed the Grand Californian, so looks like a good bet! Which July trip are you taking?

We have very good friends (originally met them on a cruise through our DIS meet group) who are on the 15th trip as well.

Thank you! I believe we will do this. We recently did a VIP tour ar Universal Orlando and loved it

This is good to hear. I'm looking at doing the VIP tour at Universal Orlando in September and worried that it may not be the same caliber (without the production studio portion). Happy to hear that you guys loved it. Now I don't have to worry :-)

This is good to hear. I'm looking at doing the VIP tour at Universal Orlando in September and worried that it may not be the same caliber (without the production studio portion). Happy to hear that you guys loved it. Now I don't have to worry :-)
Yes, as long as you are prepared for the lack of the "Studio" portion of the tour, you will be very happy. Universal knows how to do VIP experiences and there is a lot of backstage access!

Jen

That’s a great idea! A lot on our trip did that also. We didn’t, since we added the pre-day at Universal. If I did it again, I’d add the extra day.

We aren't doing a pre-day but are staying another night at the end to make full use of our park tickets!

Oh, I was wondering about this! So for the final day when everyone heads back to the airport you DO have a park ticket..? I've added two nights and thought I'd need a 3 day but maybe not..! Do you know how the transfer back to LAX works in that case..?

Oh, I was wondering about this! So for the final day when everyone heads back to the airport you DO have a park ticket..? I've added two nights and thought I'd need a 3 day but maybe not..! Do you know how the transfer back to LAX works in that case..?

Yes, your ticket for Friday is included. Those in our group who stayed had transfers back to LAX from ABD. Or, at least, the two couples that I talked to who were staying. One couple left Saturday and the othe left on Sunday.

Yes, your ticket for Friday is included. Those in our group who stayed had transfers back to LAX from ABD. Or, at least, the two couples that I talked to who were staying. One couple left Saturday and the othe left on Sunday.

Our TA told us that as long as any additional pre and or post nights are booked through ABD at either the Hollywood or Grand Californian you would still get the ABD transfers to and or from the airport. We were also told to book early, because the number of rooms may be limited,and you can cancel prior to final payment without penalty.

In addition, pre and post nights booked through ABD receive a discount. I was able to confirm the Hollywood Hotel and Grand Californian rooms were more expensive had I booked them direct.

Awesome thank you! We are planning to leave Sunday (I expect the Monday of Memorial Day is going to be so busy we may as well go home and do laundry/get ready to go back to work... never thought I'd say that. I must be getting old, lol!)

Our TA told us that as long as any additional pre and or post nights are booked through ABD at either the Hollywood or Grand Californian you would still get the ABD transfers to and or from the airport. We were also told to book early, because the number of rooms may be limited,and you can cancel prior to final payment without penalty.

In addition, pre and post nights booked through ABD receive a discount. I was able to confirm the Hollywood Hotel and Grand Californian rooms were more expensive had I booked them direct.

Yes, you're absolutely right! I had asked our TA about it when we booked the trip last May and the rooms weren't out yet for 2018. I booked DLH on my own at some point assuming it would be cheaper and we really like the hotel but we couldn't do that through ABD. Then our PIF came up so I thought I would check and compare prices... sure enough we'd save about $70 by booking the GCH with ABD. I almost didn't since I love the DLH but with transfers included and flights out of LAX being cheaper I went ahead and asked if we could switch. They were sold out of rooms for ABD but my TA said they would check for me anyway if I go ahead and pay for the two nights (which would be refunded if they couldn't) and by the time the payment cleared there had been a cancellation and I was able to book the two nights. I really should have done that earlier if not from the start..!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!