Back to the World Since A Nightmare CP...

PrincessJulia25

Earning My Ears
So this is my first ever trip report/ pre trip report. I'm excited to share my Disney vacation with everyone, but first I want to give a little back story on why this trip is happening.

In the beginning of this year I made the trip from Boston down to Orlando for my third Disney College Program. I was so excited to go back to Disney, which has become my home, and see all my friends and have new magical experiences and make magic for guests. I had been miserable at home, missing everything about Florida, so this was going to be the best program yet. But, the universe had different plans for me. When I got down to Orlando I got news that my grandfather was sick, nothing serious, just a bad cold. At the time I didn't think to much of it, I kept in touch with my family over the next few days and it had seemed like everything was going to be fine. Then, it wasn't. I was walking into Epcot with my roommates, the first time there since I had been back, and got a phone call that changed my world in an instant. My grandfather had declined, and wasn't going to make it. It was the worst phone call I've ever received. My heart shattered. The next few days I began training in my role of attractions at Animal Kingdom's Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. I had let everyone on the team know what was going on and that I may have to return home for a few days. When I got the news my grandfather had passed away it was hard to stomach. Being so far from home was the most difficult thing in the world. The only thing that made it bearable was that I was in Disney World. I had a whole 40 square miles of fun to distract me, which it did. My management was great in working with me to get me the days off to return home. I have really amazing friends, and roommates who helped me stay busy and keep my mind off things. But this was just the first part of my nightmare. My grandfather always told me that I should be a writer, which made me want to begin writing again. Hence why I began this trip report.

The rest of my college program I spent sick, hot, with terrible management, injured, and all of the bad things. I worked outside all day on the trail which was incredibly taxing on my body and I got sick so often, like never before. I fell down my stairs at my apartment complex taking me out of commission for a few days, my management was becoming increasingly difficult to deal with on top of that. But despite all of that I decided to extend my program into the summer and get a new location. I stayed at Animal Kingdom and began working at It's Tough to be a Bug. I know what you're thinking... That's a nightmare. But it wasn't at all. I got some air conditioning, met amazing people, got to dance at carnivale, and do all sorts of fun things. But the sickness kept happening, and the bus schedule kept changing leaving me late and racking up those infamous Disney points for call outs. I had originally planned to move down to Florida permanently this time. Finally make some roots and start my life there. But with all these points I couldn't extend or try and get full/part time. What was I to do? I could apply to another local theme park, or even a third party store at Disney Spring. I was also broke, and to be honest, I had lost a lot of my Disney magic. I wasn't spending much time in the parks, and when I did I wouldn't be there long. It was all losing the fun and magic. I know what you're all thinking... "You are insane! I would kill to live and go to Disney whenever I want." And many people do. But I had done 3 back to back College Programs, which in a way takes the magic out. I had been worked more this program than ever before because of two reasons. One, the trail didn't have that many cast members that worked on it so it wasn't unusual for me to work six ten to twelve hour days. Being in the heat like that takes a huge toll on your body and mind. Second, I was working in Animal Kingdom on the opening month of Pandora, so I was working like a dog. I just wasn't enjoying my time there at all. So I decided to come home to Boston.

I come home hoping my luck would change, but I was wrong. My grandmother passed away not long after my return. It was so hard losing both maternal grandparents within eight months. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Luckily, my job in Boston is so flexible and I have really amazing coworkers who supported me through everything. But my mom, who just lost both of her parents was having a difficult time. The holidays were fast approaching, as was the realization that my grandparents wouldn't be sharing them with us. She had been talking about going away, just to take our minds off everything. I was trying to suggest a cruise or a tropical island, but she was fixed on Disney. I wasn't excited at first, I didn't know if I was ready to go back, if it would still feel unmagical for me. But we booked a trip.

After thinking about the upcoming trip more and more I became excited. We are staying at a deluxe resort, Wilderness Lodge, for the first time and going to the Christmas Party for the first time. New experiences, huh? Maybe these will help bring back the magic. I have been missing the World lately, which is why I got back to watching the Dis and being back on the boards. I kind of took a break from all things Disney when I first got back, a Disney Detox. But now our trip is just 8 days away and I can't wait. I get to reunite with so many of my friends, go back to see my gorillas and Pandora. My dad hasn't gotten to see Pandora so that will be exciting to see how he reacts to it's beauty.

I hope you all enjoyed this sad little backstory. I'm excited to start trip reporting and getting back into writing and Disney. Please feel free to leave any questions and feedback. I would love to know what you all think, if anyone even reads this. Until next time!

We are 6 days out folks! So since I gave some back story in my first post I figured I could tell you all my family's plans for our trip. I, luckily, still have a lot of connections down in Orlando and about 98% of my friends still work for the company so we don't have to pay for tickets. But here is our tentative schedule!

Monday:

Monday we fly out of Boston on a lovely 6am flight and land in Orlando around 9:45. We'll be taking the Magical Express to the beautiful Wilderness Lodge. We haven't decided if we'll just store our luggage and head to the park or we'll freshen up a bit. It all depends on if our room is ready. My best friend, Michael, will be meeting us and getting into the park. We're going to be starting at Epcot! My family and I each have things we love at Epcot, but Soarin' is a must do for us. For me, I'm looking forward to the new Mission Space missions as well as exploring some of the holiday festival. I saw a picture of a red slush from France that was a rum punch, that is a MUST HAVE for me! Later that day we'll be heading over to Studios! I keep forgetting GMR is gone, so I get excited about riding it then moments later I remember I can't and get really upset, so I'm sad about that. But we're looking forward to seeing the park all decked out for the holidays and seeing all the new holiday entertainment. I'm so excited for the new Star Tours adventures. We have an ADR all set up for Sci-Fi Dine In. Since we have the guest passes, we can't make fastpasses until that day, but we aren't upset about it.

Tuesday:

Tuesday is going to be so exciting! It will be our first Very Merry Christmas Party! But before that we have and ADR set up for brunch at my favorite breakfast place on property, Trail's End! I love the atmosphere and how chill it is. I also enjoy exploring the fort area and seeing the horses. We plan on having a relaxing afternoon. We will either check out Disney Springs, or resort hop to check out all the decorations. Then at 4 we are taking full advantage of that early entrance to Magic Kingdom. From 4-7 we plan on doing some rides before the party so we can meet characters and enjoy all the special Christmas entertainment. My family and I have never been, like I mentioned and we are beyond excited. I love meeting characters so I have a list of characters I have to meet! Big Al and Jack Sparrow are my top 2!

Wednesday:

Wednesday is the day I am most excited about because we are going to be spending the entire day in Animal Kingdom! Animal Kingdom was my home on my last college program, so I am very happy to be returning! My dad hasn't gotten the pleasure of seeing Pandora yet and I can't wait for him to see it's perfection. I also can't wait to see it again, it takes my breath away every single time. I can't wait to eat at Satuli'i Canteen and get that magical slush as well! We have an ADR for lunch at our favorite Animal Kingdom dining, Yak and Yeti. I have a connection at FOP so getting onto that won't be an issue for us, I am incredibly lucky! But I must go back to Gorilla Falls to visit my gorillas! I miss them so much it's insane. I'm just excited to spend the day exploring DAK again. The Tree of Life Awakening is one of my favorite things to see and I look forward to that. We haven't decided on Rivers of Light, it's not my favorite. And we plan on doing Everest at night, because it's waaaay better! This will sadly be our last day in the parks.

Thursday:

Thursday is going to be a relaxing day for the most part. We plan to explore Disney Springs and hang out at the resort that day. It will be nice to not rush around. We haven't decided on an ADR for that day, we were thinking about Whispering Canyon. I'll be leaving my parents for the night and spending with my friends and I think my parents deserve a night to themselves. I will be heading with some of my best friends to my favorite bar in Orlando. It's my favorite place in Orlando, beside Disney. It's a gay bar called Southern Nights. It's amazing! When I was going through a hard time in February I got to go here for the first time and experience a drag show. If you are 21+ and looking for a fun place to go and let loose with friends and just forget about the world it's a perfect place to go. It's inexpensive and the best time you will ever have!

Friday:

Friday is the dreaded day we head home. Our flight is at 5:30 that night so we'll probably be leaving the hotel around 1 on the Magical Express. Before that we plan on getting some breakfast and last minute souvenirs. Leaving Disney is the worst, but I plan on booking another trip within the next few months!

So that is my pretrip report! I plan on moving this thread over to the trip report boards next week before my trip and give my final thoughts. I will be taking my journal on the trip so that I can write down the best of the day. I also plan to include pictures in my full trip report. I know I'm a bit long winded but I really like to give details in my writing. I hope someone out there enjoys it. Until next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter