Ballpark wait time for direct points from SSR

Reneedisnerd

Mouseketeer
We finally got our resale contract closed and our membership is in Disney’s system as-of today. There was no way I was caving to buy direct points for our initial purchase but we know we want more points. After comparing prices for small contracts direct vs resale we decided to buy some direct points. I know everything is fluid but what have people experienced with wait times when buying points direct? I know it varies by resort but I would think with the amount of SSR buybacks the wait should be quick. What are your thought?

I have just bought 75 points direct. I asked for SSR and was quoted 4-6 weeks waitlist.

A day later I pressed again stating I was considering resale and would also consider OKW-E. Within a couple of hours the points were in my account in 2 small contracts.

I have just bought 75 points direct. I asked for SSR and was quoted 4-6 weeks waitlist.

A day later I pressed again stating I was considering resale and would also consider OKW-E. Within a couple of hours the points were in my account in 2 small contracts.
So you were able to get the OKW and not the SSR? I really don’t want two different resorts but maybe that is the way we should go for a little variety?

I don’t know why but for some reason I figured with all the SSR they take and the fact I was not put on the wait list until my contract was in the system they would have had points available right then and there. Maybe because our use year is Dec and they don’t have 2017 points left?

Last edited:
I got 50 at SSR and 25 at OKW. We already own SSR but book at 7 months so home priority doesn’t really matter, just slightly higher dues at OKW

I keep meaning to call to do a 25 or 30 point add on at SSR. I’ll let you know what they say when I call. Can I call on a Saturday, or do I need to wait until Monday?

I got 50 at SSR and 25 at OKW. We already own SSR but book at 7 months so home priority doesn’t really matter, just slightly higher dues at OKW

I think this is what I’ll ask for when I call - we book at 7 months as well, so I don’t care where our extra 25-30 are. At that amount of points, the dues don’t really matter.

I keep meaning to call to do a 25 or 30 point add on at SSR. I’ll let you know what they say when I call. Can I call on a Saturday, or do I need to wait until Monday?

Sales office is open 7 days a week, but your guide may or may not be working today.

Hours today are 8:30am-7pm Eastern.

Sales office is open 7 days a week, but your guide may or may not be working today.

Thanks! I don't even have a guide...when I bought I knew I wanted to buy resale, so I went directly to the resale market! I guess I'll just call Member Services (?) and see what they say.

My guide is not available on Sat or Sun. He didn’t give me a time frame and I understand that everything changes from day to day so I didn’t push...heck he could call me on Monday with the points. We asked for 75 points initially but told him if he found 100 we would take them.

Maybe my expectations were too high but given the amount of SSR they take I thought this would be easy. If I was going to have to wait why not put me on the list when I first called? I had to wait two weeks plus just to get on the wait list.

Thanks! I don't even have a guide...when I bought I knew I wanted to buy resale, so I went directly to the resale market! I guess I'll just call Member Services (?) and see what they say.

You have a guide even if you bought resale. You need to call the sales number, not MS. 800 800-9100.

:earsboy: Bill

After waiting around 3 months for BLT I had the guide put me down for 75-100 points for OKW as well. He called about a month later with still no BLT but OKW. If you are open to 2 resorts I think OKW definitely has some value and a decent option since it is the extended contract. You could also take the stance that you are open to 75 points at any resort available now in your UY and see what the guide says. Guess it comes down to if you trust your guide. Which is a topic of another possible thread...

Are the guides high pressure? Like if I call and say I want 25 or 30 points at SSR or OKW will they try and upsell me to get to that 75 or more point threshold? Or since I’m already and existing member will they just take my info like I’m ordering a pizza?

Ps, Renee, sorry to hijack your thread

Last edited:
Okay I just called, talked to Ron. No pressure to buy extra - it was literally like ordering a pizza. Ha. Told him I wanted either 25 or 30 points at SSR or OKW and he was super nice, said no problem, and he’d call as soon as they were ready. The whole call took less than 5 minutes.

I question if buying a small number of points is easier to get or do they move you down the list because they want to sell more points? If Disney tracks points sold by guide, wouldn't the guide focus on selling larger contracts just like they focus on selling CCV over other resorts?

Are the guides high pressure? Like if I call and say I want 25 or 30 points at SSR or OKW will they try and upsell me to get to that 75 or more point threshold? Or since I’m already and existing member will they just take my info like I’m ordering a pizza?

In my experience the guides are never high-pressure. They probably do not necessarily get commission for helping you. They understand that a lot of people buy resale. Disney doesn't necessarily have a problem with people buying resale because buying resale helps make what they are selling more valuable. True they are selling theirs for a higher price but they are building that higher price on the value of the resales among other things

Besides, Disney just tends to hire good people for their service, people who like to deal with people. I don't think Disney puts a lot of pressure on them to try to push you into anything.

IMO the guides have changed over the years. Disney now seems to hire some from other timeshare companies and some seem to lie more than others.

Say there is a waitlist for SSR June UY. And person 1 wants 50 points, person 2 wants 150 points and person 3 wants 30 points. And they buy back a 175 point contract. They go to person 1 and sell them their 50 and then they have to skip person 2 since they only have 125 left and they sell the 30 to person 3. it is best to put a frame of points you want ie: 60-100 (so in my ie above person 2 should have asked for 100-150 and then they'd get a call with the 125 and could decide yes or no). And when they call with points you can always take less than you were on list for but most of the time you can't take more as there is another person on the list behind you. Though if there isn't another person, you can ask for more if they have them. I have bought 4 small direct contracts. One time I called up and they happened to have points for me, no wait. Two times I was on a waitlist, one came through in 2 weeks and the other was a month. Last add was CCV so no wait there either. Good luck.

Oh, and they don't hard sale you. It is easy peasy to call a guide and tell them what you want, like ordering a pizza. Also, I have a great guide I love. Wish I could post her name.

No problem-I like the sharing of info so if it helps someone I say go with it :)

Don't wait for your guide to call you back, if you really want the points, keep calling and emailing your guide once a week.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter