Baloo is finding his Bare Necessities of life (Comments Welcome)

Bayshore Marathon Race Recap.

Here is the short version - beautiful day, rough race, ok with the outcome. Finished in 4:46 which landed me in my “C” goal area but still only 6 minutes off my January marathon. I am ok with that.
IMG_1827.jpeg

Here is the longer version :)

I left work on Friday afternoon sped home packed the last of my stuff and headed to Cadillac where I was gong to stay for the night. I found a good deal and took it. I was able to settle into my hotel nicely, but given only a few restaurant choices I went with Burger King and went to bed with a sore stomach. I should have thought to bring dinner from home…. Anyway, I slept pretty well. But I pushed it a little too much Saturday morning and got to Traverse City High School with just enough time to grab my bib, visit a port-a-potty, and get my watch and race belt situated. I literally stepped into the starting area with one minute to go. I cut it too close.

My goal was to hit 10:20 (or just under) miles. The first mile was too fast (9:41) so I backed it off just a little. I found a good grove and cruised, hitting anywhere from 10:01 to 10:18 until the turn around point. Honestly the whole time I felt really good and was convinced that my “A” goal was in reach. Between miles 14-20 I began to feel the pace a lot more but I did hold it. This is when I fell apart. Each successive mile was worse tha the previous and I was pushing the pedal to the floor. I ran the race with 1:30/:30 ratios (more on that experience at the end) but by miles 24 on I was just trying to hold :30/:30 together. Mile 25 was a disaster and I was able to salvage 26.

I have been thinking about it, I was depending too much on what was in the barn from earlier in the year. I think I was too under trained to hold that pace, even a little slower and I think I would have been fine and likely been stronger over the last few miles and maybe finished a little sooner. Regardless, I fought hard and for that I am proud. I can honestly say that I was putting out full effort.

So that leaves me with a few thoughts. One, I need to take a running break, so I am planning four weeks off from running. Two, I need to commit to strength training and dropping a few pounds. I think that one will effect the other and I am carrying too much weight for a marathon. So, it will be four weeks no running, but in two weeks I will begin incorporating strength training.

My next race is my 2023 “A” race, Marine Corp Marathon in October. I have a new training plan that will begin with two prep weeks and then 16 weeks to build up to MCM. I am hopeful some time off will let my body heal (I am feeling drained) and remind me of my own motto - I don‘t have to, I get to.

So a couple thoughts on Bayshore. First it is the most beautiful race I have ever run. Literally 24 of the 26 miles are run along the bay with breathtaking views of the lake and houses I can not even dream of owning.
IMG_1822.jpeg

It is pretty flat and it is FAST. Honestly, I have not looked at my results in terms of where I placed but with a 4:46 I bet there were not much more that 100-200 runners behind me and well over a thousand in front of me. Lots of race support - great volunteers and lots of the people out cheering us on. Plenty of water stations and the finish area was real nice, lots of snacks, chocolate milk and free Moomers ice cream for the runners!
70689699796__F0838449-4FAF-4B76-90AC-2E7F14EF354B.jpeg

My only critique, I felt really out of place as run/walk/runner. I think I only saw two runners using the run/walk/run method. No one was rude, but it was very difficult to stay on ratios at times in the first 6ish miles and I am pretty sure I was driving a few people pretty crazy. I tried to be very aware of runners to my sides and behind and put my arm up to alert to a walk or run phase. But to be blunt it was VERY different than DW or even my experience at NYCM.

I am happy I ran it, but to be honest I am pretty happy to have a bit of a break now!. Ifyou read this long - thanks! Oh and Kai says hi!
IMG_1758.jpeg

So a couple thoughts on Bayshore. First it is the most beautiful race I have ever run. Literally 24 of the 26 miles are run along the bay with breathtaking views of the lake and houses I can not even dream of owning.
That describes most of the lakes up here, but especially Old Mission Peninsula. The wacky-rich people have houses there and in the Leland/Northport area. Tim Allen, as an example, has a house in Leland and is seen out and about often during the summer.

It is pretty flat and it is FAST. Honestly, I have not looked at my results in terms of where I placed but with a 4:46 I bet there were not much more that 100-200 runners behind me and well over a thousand in front of me. Lots of race support - great volunteers and lots of the people out cheering us on. Plenty of water stations and the finish area was real nice, lots of snacks, chocolate milk and free Moomers ice cream for the runners!
According to the PT I saw (and DS2 is seeing) who runs the Bayshore, the race has gotten quite a bit faster overall in the past few years (with 40+ people finishing in under 2:45 the last 2 years, compared with 14 in 2019.) The top women's finisher qualified for the Olympic trails this weekend as well.

Good call on staying in Cadillac for a hotel; TC hotel prices are exorbitant to start with, and adding in an event/holiday weekend and I'm sure they were ridiculous. Beulah also has a major chain hotel in it, but it's about the same drive to TC as Cadillac, but Cadillac is more of a straight shot up to TC (for anyone who may be considering the Bayshore in the future.)

That describes most of the lakes up here, but especially Old Mission Peninsula. The wacky-rich people have houses there and in the Leland/Northport area. Tim Allen, as an example, has a house in Leland and is seen out and about often during the summer.

According to the PT I saw (and DS2 is seeing) who runs the Bayshore, the race has gotten quite a bit faster overall in the past few years (with 40+ people finishing in under 2:45 the last 2 years, compared with 14 in 2019.) The top women's finisher qualified for the Olympic trails this weekend as well.

Good call on staying in Cadillac for a hotel; TC hotel prices are exorbitant to start with, and adding in an event/holiday weekend and I'm sure they were ridiculous. Beulah also has a major chain hotel in it, but it's about the same drive to TC as Cadillac, but Cadillac is more of a straight shot up to TC (for anyone who may be considering the Bayshore in the future.)
Yeah, that worked out well. Cadillac was very pretty also. Wish I had more time to explore the area, always just zipping up to the UP or Traverse City. I need to go back some time.

And yeah, there were some folks really flying out there. The out and back format really gives you the chance to see the top runners just flying by!

Great job at Bayshore--it was a nice weekend but a little warm for me! I love the course--it's one of my favorites. ☺️

Yeah, such a beautiful course. I thought the temps started out great, but by the end it was certainly warming up. My only real complaint from the day is I thought the race shirts were really small! I got an XL and it barely fit. I put it up to my Spring Surprise race shirts and it was considerably smaller! That is saying something. To the credit of the race organizers I reached out and they sent me an XXL and it fits better.

I hope to run Bayshore again in a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter