Banking and borrowing question....

Kim Gillihan

Kluvdisney
I thought I had this all figured out... but I think I was wrong.... I just banked 75 2017 points into 2018. My uy is june. I am trying to do a trip in 2019 June - december sometime.

I was planning to use the 75 points banked into 2018 for that trip.... will I be able to? I get 180 points in June 2018. So, I will have 75+180.

I will need to also borrow 2019 points...

Please help me!! thanks so much as usual for all of your help. KIM

The 75 banked points have to be used by May 31, 2019. They cannot be used to pay for any night June 1, 2019 or later.

The 75 banked points have to be used by May 31, 2019. They cannot be used to pay for any night June 1, 2019 or later.
oh my gosh.. if I had known that we could be in a savannah room vs standard... ugh.... so the 75 points don't become really 2018 points because you can't bank them again.. is that it?

oh my gosh.. if I had known that we could be in a savannah room vs standard... ugh.... so the 75 points don't become really 2018 points because you can't bank them again.. is that it?
Correct. You can only bank the same points once.

OK.. so in order to use 2018 2019 2020 points for a big trip planned now for end 2019 or spring break 2020... can I do that? Can I use still use these points if the trip gets pushed to spring break 2020?

A trip at the end of 2019 or spring break 2020 will occur in your 2019 UY. You can use banked 2018, current 2019 or borrowed 2020 points.

A trip at the end of 2019 or spring break 2020 will occur in your 2019 UY. You can use banked 2018, current 2019 or borrowed 2020 points.
OK..I thought so but since I messed up on thinking since I banked the 75 into 2018 they were now 2018 points.. I wanted to make sure.. I am so mad now I have these points I could have used on a savannah room which I really wanted but now are unavailable... and now I have to figure out what to do with them!! Thanks so much, KIM

Points need to be banked during the first 8 months of your UY. Your UY is not a calendar year. Points need to be available during the dates of your stay, not when you make the reservation. Banking moves points one UY forward, borrowing moves points one UY back. Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.

:earsboy: Bill

So - now you have 75 points to use between June 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019. Your big trip falls within your 2019 UY.

For your trip in the latter half of 2019, you'd have a max of 180x3 = 540 points. You would do this by banking all 180 of your "original" 2018 points when the banking window opens, or certainly by the time you plan to book your trip (I'm assuming 11 mo out). Then you will have 360 points in 2019 UY. At the time of booking, if your reservation requires more than 360 points, you can borrow what you need from 2020. Just remember that if that trip falls through and you need to cancel, you would need to use your 180 banked 2018 points during your June 2019 UY, AS WELL AS any 2020 points you borrowed into your June 2019 UY.

BTW you are still well within the 11 mo window for your 2019 UY so why not use your 75 points for a room for January 2019? :)

Are you sure you banked June 2017 points into 2018? You would have to bank them during the first eight months of your UY - June 1 through Jan 31. If you banked points in Feb, you banked 2018 points. Unless you got a one time reprieve of late banking. Or you actually banked them in Jan and not Feb.

My uy is june.

So your 2017 points would have been good from June 2017 to end of May 2018.
Your 2018 UY points are good for trips June 2018 to end of May 2019 without banking or borrowing them.
Your 2019 UY points are good for trips June 2019 to end of May 2020 without banking or borrowing them.

I am trying to do a trip in 2019 June - december sometime.

So that would naturally fall in the 2019 UY.

I get 180 points in June 2018.

Which are good to use for trips between June 2018 through end of May 2019 unless you bank them to 2019.

I will need to also borrow 2019 points...

Not for a June through December 2019 trip. Those 2019 UY points are naturally usable for such a trip. No borrowing needed.

if I had known that we could be in a savannah room vs standard...

Do you mean for a trip sooner than the 2019 trip you're planning? If you JUST banked these, especially if you did it with a customer service person who knew what you wanted to do with them, maybe call back and request a ONE time request to "put them back". 99.9% chance they say "no", but it's 100% if you don't ask.

OK.. so in order to use 2018 2019 2020 points for a big trip planned now for end 2019 or spring break 2020... can I do that? Can I use still use these points if the trip gets pushed to spring break 2020?

A trip between June 2019 through the end of May 2020 can be booked with natural 2019 UY points, banked 2018 points, and borrowed 2020 points. That covers end of 2019 through spring break 2020 unless you have some crazy weird spring break that goes into June LOL.

Your last sentence I quoted there asks what if "the trip gets pushed to spring break 2020", but that's the same timeframe you said in the previous sentence. Do you mean 2021? If so, and if you'd already done all the banking and borrowing for an earlier trip, then only the natural 2019 points could, because you could bank them to be 2020 points (good June 2020 through end of May 2021). But the borrowed 2020 and banked 2018 will stay forevermore 2019 points.

and now I have to figure out what to do with them!!

If you booked 2017 points into 2018, you get to travel between June 2018 and end of May 2019. So if you were doing a trip starting in June 2019, you could see about actually starting it end of May, and use those points.

If you banked points in Feb, you banked 2018 points. Unless you got a one time reprieve of late banking.

Agreed. So it's possible all of this isn't necessary at all, and maybe she put 2018 points into 2019.

But if she did bank 2017 points, in February, it would have had to be on the phone with a person making an exception. If that person knew what she was trying to accomplish, and messed it up, there's a chance they can make it right.

all, thanks for helping me! I banked the points jan 31st... the real issue here is if I had understood everything properly I would have just used those points and booked a savannah view vs. standard for my trip coming up in March... now they are all booked and its too late. The ONLY reason I saved them and did not do that was so I could use them for my nov/dec 2019 trip cause I thought if I banked them into 2018 they became 2018 points etc. So, now I know, I will survive... I just need to see if I can plan another short trip to use them, I am in texas so thats not so easy... or rent them etc. I really wanted that Savannah view.. but I was taking one for the team I thought and saving points for a big family trip.. oh well, lesson learned.... bright side is figuring out another trip!! Thanks so much for explaining it again to me... this does get complicated!!

all, thanks for helping me! I banked the points jan 31st... the real issue here is if I had understood everything properly I would have just used those points and booked a savannah view vs. standard for my trip coming up in March... now they are all booked and its too late. The ONLY reason I saved them and did not do that was so I could use them for my nov/dec 2019 trip cause I thought if I banked them into 2018 they became 2018 points etc. So, now I know, I will survive... I just need to see if I can plan another short trip to use them, I am in texas so thats not so easy... or rent them etc. I really wanted that Savannah view.. but I was taking one for the team I thought and saving points for a big family trip.. oh well, lesson learned.... bright side is figuring out another trip!! Thanks so much for explaining it again to me... this does get complicated!!

Have you tried contacting member services to see if they could make an exception and let you "unbank" the points to be used in the current year?

Have you tried contacting member services to see if they could make an exception and let you "unbank" the points to be used in the current year?
the other issue is the savannah rooms are booked.... I may just look at the bright side and take a small trip I wasn't expecting..... !! Try out a different resort... etc. It will all work out!

We began borrowing very early in our membership, and I quickly realized I needed a spreadsheet to keep everything straight! You might find one helpful too

I didn't want to start another new thread for another borrowing question - Lets say I book a 7 night trip using current UY points and borrowed points. If I later have to cancel a night or two, can I call member services and ask that the points that get refunded are current UY points, rather than the borrowed points? And if I can do that, would I still be able to then bank those refunded points if it is before the banking deadline for the current UY?

I didn't want to start another new thread for another borrowing question - Lets say I book a 7 night trip using current UY points and borrowed points. If I later have to cancel a night or two, can I call member services and ask that the points that get refunded are current UY points, rather than the borrowed points? And if I can do that, would I still be able to then bank those refunded points if it is before the banking deadline for the current UY?
Yes, as long as you are within banking period.

So - now you have 75 points to use between June 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019. Your big trip falls within your 2019 UY.

For your trip in the latter half of 2019, you'd have a max of 180x3 = 540 points. You would do this by banking all 180 of your "original" 2018 points when the banking window opens, or certainly by the time you plan to book your trip (I'm assuming 11 mo out). Then you will have 360 points in 2019 UY. At the time of booking, if your reservation requires more than 360 points, you can borrow what you need from 2020. Just remember that if that trip falls through and you need to cancel, you would need to use your 180 banked 2018 points during your June 2019 UY, AS WELL AS any 2020 points you borrowed into your June 2019 UY.
OK... so just to be clear... my 2018 banked points can NOT be used after june 1 2020? We must take this trip in 2019 up to May 31 2020. So, If I do borrow 2020 which I will need to do... if I cancel, I am screwed!! I will have to use the points anyway by when?

thanks so much, this is so confusing.. just when I think I have it I don't!

BTW.. I booked 3 nights at poly with my 75 point mess up for july, havent told DH, he will flip as we are going in march.. but we will have our foster son age 6 (we had him for 3 months last summer, totally fell in love) visiting this summer and I really want to take him for a few days.... so I am hoping I can make this happen!! Even I its just me and the boys... I am great with that... just a short trip so that angel can go to disney!!

OK... so just to be clear... my 2018 banked points can NOT be used after june 1 2020? We must take this trip in 2019 up to May 31 2020. So, If I do borrow 2020 which I will need to do... if I cancel, I am screwed!! I will have to use the points anyway by when?

Once you bank your June 2018 points they will be good for stays from June 1, 2019 to May 31, 2020 and will expire after that if they are not used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter