Banking/Borrowing/Booking UY Question

cmarsh31

DIS Veteran
Going to try to be as concise as possible! Newbie - bought 70 AKV Dec UY, closed 12/18, just added on 25 direct (same), so the combination of the banked 2016 points that came with our contract AND full 2017 points, plus the direct 25 points we just got have totally changed my plans for 2019 (in a totally OMG never expected to be this lucky kind of way).

165 Dec '17 points (70 banked from '16), 95 Dec '18 points
First trip - GCV Studio in July - 78 points (not touching this reservation!)
2nd - Nov 15-18, currently AKV Value studio, 33 points. Was planning to try for maybe BVR or something at 7 months if lucky.
3rd - 1 night 2/16/19 before cruise AKV Value or standard studio, 2/21-2/24 (Princess 5k!) - want a 1bd room that sleeps 5 for the washer & dryer and extra space after being in one cabin on the ship for 4 days together.

11 month for 3rd trip - 3/15/18
7 month for 2nd trip - 4/15/18
-Banking deadline 7/18

Can I just book the 11 month trip first, banking '17 points if necessary, then a month later, re-allocate if we need more points for the 2nd trip - borrowing '18 points back, if needed, then borrowing '19 points for the 3rd trip? I know it's confusing and I'll have it all happily detailed exactly on a spreadsheet before calling MS. I realize that our November trip is dangerously close to our Dec UY, but with the extra points, it just made sense to do a one-time trip for MVMCP etc. Normal travel time is Feb break for us.

I'm a total planner & spreadsheet geek. The combination of "having" to book 11 months in advance and manage points for 3 years is just my happy place. :earsboy:

I haven’t had all my coffee andtherefore can’t answer specifically, but in general yes you can bank points to use for one trip, then borrow other points to use for an earlier trip etc.

I have a feb UY and I keep doing princess. So I might bank 2017 points into 2018 and use those for Princess, but know I’ve got 2018 points to borrow in case I find a reason to travel in later 2017.

I did that basic scenario for 2017 Princess when we also had a December 2016 pre-cruise resort stay. The planning just worked better that way.

Glad you have a handle on this. Super-glad the confusing December UY isn’t throwing you!

You mention spreadsheets and the 5k. If you also like Harry Potter and doing things for charities, you might consider joining the FB group Hogwarts Running Club. And given your penchant for spreadsheets, consider joining the Ravenclaw house in the same FB group. :)

When I have reallocated in the past, the points had to be available (meaning not tied to a reservation). I'm not sure how you could free up the points to do the reallocation. But, if you could get the points that you want to use in the reallocation to be available and not tied to a reservation, you should be able to reallocate them since they are all from the same resort. Because the other "condition" for reallocation is that if the reservation is currently unavailable, you would have had to been able to use those points to book the original reservation at the time it was reserved. For example, you could not reallocate Poly points to your AKL value reservation that you booked in the 11 to 7 month window because those points could not be used at the time you made that reservation. Since all of your points are AKL points, you will not have that problem!

When I have reallocated in the past, the points had to be available (meaning not tied to a reservation). I'm not sure how you could free up the points to do the reallocation. But, if you could get the points that you want to use in the reallocation to be available and not tied to a reservation, you should be able to reallocate them since they are all from the same resort. Because the other "condition" for reallocation is that if the reservation is currently unavailable, you would have had to been able to use those points to book the original reservation at the time it was reserved. For example, you could not reallocate Poly points to your AKL value reservation that you booked in the 11 to 7 month window because those points could not be used at the time you made that reservation. Since all of your points are AKL points, you will not have that problem!

Thanks!! I'm more thinking that if I ended up with "orphan" 2017 points after booking trip 3 at 11 months & rebooking trip 2 at 7 months (the month after), I wanted to see if I could bank & reallocate those "orphan" 2017 orphan points to our 2018 UY trip, thus freeing up 2018 UY points to potentially bank to 2019.

Other option would be to just bank leftover Dec 2017 UY points, book the Feb 2019 trip (still in Dec 2018 UY) with those & some Dec 2018 UY points, then if I got lucky at 7 months for the November 2018 trip, just borrow Dec 2018 UY points to go from AKV value room to BWV or BRV room.

Thanks!! I'm more thinking that if I ended up with "orphan" 2017 points after booking trip 3 at 11 months & rebooking trip 2 at 7 months (the month after), I wanted to see if I could bank & reallocate those "orphan" 2017 orphan points to our 2018 UY trip, thus freeing up 2018 UY points to potentially bank to 2019.

Other option would be to just bank leftover Dec 2017 UY points, book the Feb 2019 trip (still in Dec 2018 UY) with those & some Dec 2018 UY points, then if I got lucky at 7 months for the November 2018 trip, just borrow Dec 2018 UY points to go from AKV value room to BWV or BRV room.

Both of those plans should work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!