Banshees (and other things that come with boxes)--can you send just the box to your resort?

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
Heyo! I'm thinking of adopting a banshee, and I was wondering about one logistical issue: the box they come in. On the one hand, it would be nice to have a box for getting it home on the plane and for storage. On the other hand, I want to wear my banshee on my shoulder the rest of the day, and I don't really want to carry the empty box. Will they send the box to one's resort without the banshee in it--and does it make a difference whether you buy something else at the same time? Because I might also pick up a perch and I'd want that sent to my resort regardless.

If they won't send the empty box, I'll probably just decline it and figure out how to fit the banshee into a regular carry-on. I'm already planning to decline the box that comes with the droids in SWGE.

You may could buy something cheap in addition to the banshee and have them put it in the banshee box to send to the resort. We got our banshee the last day of our trip so we had to carry it around box and all.

You may could buy something cheap in addition to the banshee and have them put it in the banshee box to send to the resort. We got our banshee the last day of our trip so we had to carry it around box and all.
That's what I'm wondering--if I buy the display perch or something else, whether they'd let me send that to my resort and just send the box along with it.

Did you wear your banshee around the park at all? After I posted this I found a couple reviews where people said they got tired of wearing it and preferred to carry it in the box, so I'm wondering if I should hang onto the box. But I think my park bag may be big enough to fit the banshee, too, if it comes to that.

Not sure what rides, if any, you could do wearing a banshee. I suppose if it were late in the day and all you wanted to do was walk around, eat, watch the ToL Awakennings and/or attend RoL - it'll be fine. I'm not sure if they'll let you wear it at the Nemo or Lion King shows either.

That's what I'm wondering--if I buy the display perch or something else, whether they'd let me send that to my resort and just send the box along with it.

Did you wear your banshee around the park at all? After I posted this I found a couple reviews where people said they got tired of wearing it and preferred to carry it in the box, so I'm wondering if I should hang onto the box. But I think my park bag may be big enough to fit the banshee, too, if it comes to that.
My 7 year old grandson was the owner-he did wear it briefly but it was awkward. He also got a Monkey Lizard in Galaxy's Edge, and it seemed to "ride" easier. I made him keep both boxes, and told him one day if he tired of them he could sell them on Ebay if he still had the boxes!

Not sure what rides, if any, you could do wearing a banshee. I suppose if it were late in the day and all you wanted to do was walk around, eat, watch the ToL Awakennings and/or attend RoL - it'll be fine. I'm not sure if they'll let you wear it at the Nemo or Lion King shows either.
Since I'm doing an AK AH late in my trip, I'm already considering doing few or no rides on my daytime AK visit. I've got the Wild Africa Trek booked for midday; after I get done with that I'll only have five more hours in the park and I want to do at least one of the animal trails and see RoL, so I think I'm going to spend most of that time just wandering anyway. I don't think it'll be a big issue if I do decide to do some rides, though; I can just take it off my shoulder and stow it in the baggage net--or put it in my park bag and put that on the floor of the ride if it's too big. Disney's pretty good about making it possible to keep your stuff with you. But that's why I'm thinking of having them send the box to my resort--I think it'll be harder to stow a box (not to mention more annoying to carry it).

I do recommend the display perch, btw. I know that we were allowed to send some coloring pages to Package Pick-Up at the front of the park one time - so I am guessing they will send your box. To be sure to get your banshee home safely - you do kind of need it. The box SEEMS way too big - but the banshees are awkwardly shaped and surprisingly take more space than you expect.

Unless you are getting a droid backpack or immediately heading back to your resort - after you make your droid - I strongly suggest sending it to Package Pick-Up or directly to your resort - in the box they give you. Without the droid backpack - they are awkward to lug around.

I do recommend the display perch, btw. I know that we were allowed to send some coloring pages to Package Pick-Up at the front of the park one time - so I am guessing they will send your box. To be sure to get your banshee home safely - you do kind of need it. The box SEEMS way too big - but the banshees are awkwardly shaped and surprisingly take more space than you expect.

Unless you are getting a droid backpack or immediately heading back to your resort - after you make your droid - I strongly suggest sending it to Package Pick-Up or directly to your resort - in the box they give you. Without the droid backpack - they are awkward to lug around.
Glad to hear it about the coloring pages--if they'll send something like that, it seems like odds are good they'll send the box. I've been defaulting to having it sent to my resort, but if they'll only send it to Package Pick-Up that's fine, too; it's just one additional step that evening. Glad to hear a recommendation for the perch, too; it's the kind of add-on thing I never used to buy but it seems like it'd be nice to have back at home.

Re: the droid, I got measurements for the R units off these boards and bought a cross-body bucket bag wide enough and deep enough to hold one--actually a little too deep; I may bring a jacket or towel to stuff in the bottom of the bag so the droid's head can poke out. I didn't really want to gamble on whether the backpacks would be in stock, and I'd rather have it on my hip than on my back so I can see when it interacts with the environment. That's part of the appeal of the droid, so I wouldn't want to immediately send it away after making it.

Re: getting the banshee home safely, though...that's what's beginning to niggle at me and make me wonder if I should hold off on the banshee this trip. I'd rather keep all the more expensive souvenirs in my carry on, but at this point I've committed to both a droid and a lightsaber. The lightsaber will have to be one of my two carry-on items on its own, and I was going to carry the droid on either in the bucket bag or a small backpack to stow under the seat. If I add the banshee to the mix, I'll either have to put it and the droid both in a larger carry-on backpack (I have a Mother Lode Jr. from eBags--I'd have to get banshee measurements and measure the inside of the bag to figure out if that's possible; the bag itself fits under an airline seat if needed) or just pack the banshee as well as I can in its box and put the box in my checked bag--which is, unfortunately, a rolling duffel, not a hard sided case. It may be okay if I put it at the bottom of the duffel where the underside is structured and pad around and on top with clothes (and maybe clothes inside the box so it doesn't have any negative space), but I don't know that I like doing that. If I wait until the 2021 trip to get a banshee, I won't have the lightsaber and I can just take the banshee in its box as a carry-on item by itself. After they took away the lenticular photos at Momento Mori, though, I'm a little bit leery of holding off for a year at a time on cool souvenirs--there's never a guarantee they won't get discontinued.

Last edited:
TSA says lightsabers can be carried on; not that they count as a carryon.

I’d be surprised if you got a FA when boarding who literally said that the saber itself was A carryon.
True...and I did read an account from someone on this board who put the lightsaber in their carry-on bag with the saber sticking wwwaay out of the bag, then removed it from the bag once they boarded so they could actually stow it. And TSA and the airline staff allowed them to do this. So...that's a possible plan. I'm just nervous about testing the limits since I could end up with something expensive broken if they make me gate check anything.

Okay - so - I could have gotten my R unit and a banshee in my backpack as a carry-on - but that would have been very little protection for the banshee and not much room for anything else. Definitely would have been risky to bring it home safely.

If you switch your carry-on bag to a carry-on suitcase - you could get the R unit and the banshee home in that - but maybe take bubble warp for the banshee if the box and everything else you need doesn't fit.

Or - leave the banshee for another trip. All three - droid, lightsaber, banshee - sit in my work office - and the banshee gets WAY less attention from my visitors.

I carried my banshee on in its box, in addition to an underseat item and another small bag. I had a window seat and just tucked it right against the wall and no one said a thing, though YMMV

Okay - so - I could have gotten my R unit and a banshee in my backpack as a carry-on - but that would have been very little protection for the banshee and not much room for anything else. Definitely would have been risky to bring it home safely.

If you switch your carry-on bag to a carry-on suitcase - you could get the R unit and the banshee home in that - but maybe take bubble warp for the banshee if the box and everything else you need doesn't fit.

Or - leave the banshee for another trip. All three - droid, lightsaber, banshee - sit in my work office - and the banshee gets WAY less attention from my visitors.
I need to stick with the backpack because anything that doesn't fit under the seat may have to be gate checked on the second flight--ours is a small airport serviced by smaller jets, and a regular-sized carry-on suitcase will not fit in the overhead bin. There's no charge for "carry on" gate checking on those flights (you get them back at the gate when you land), but the bag is at the mercy of the baggage handlers. That's why I got the Mother Lode Jr.; it's big enough to function similarly to a regular carry-on (it unzips all the way around like a suitcase and is pretty roomy inside), but small enough that it can just fit under the seat even when fully packed (and sometimes fit in the small overhead bins if it's under-packed). I never have to hand it over.

I'm going to dig up measurements and check the actual interior of the bag and try to figure whether the droid and banshee would fit together with some padding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!