Basic Questions for my first RC cruise - Jewel of the Seas - San Juan

Jkpark

DIS Veteran
We are flying into San Juan Saturday, landing around 10pm. I believe the ship leaves at 8:30 pm Sunday. What time are we able to board? What time do you recommend boarding? We have anytime dining, so aren't rushed to board and change for early dinner. I'm trying to figure out if we will sight-see that day before boarding so I can book a hotel in a good location for our plans. That leads me to my next question - which pier does RC sail out of? I believe it isn't the same one as Disney, but I'm not sure how relevant that is if I'm not waking and rushing to the ship?

We arrive back on Sunday and our flight is the following day, Monday, at 1:30 pm. What time can we be off the ship, and what time must we be off the ship?

Our recent cruising experience is Disney with the kids - which is all about the ship and being on board as long as possible. This trip is without kids and more port intensive. We want to explore and see new places, so I'd like to enjoy San Juan, unless someone tells me there is good reason to board early?

With Disney I had all my booking dates down. I am clueless here. When can I book excursions? or specialty dining? or spa treatments? Do we get a port arrival time, like with Disney, or just board in any order when we arrive?

I appreciate any input!

You will almost certainly be docked at PanAmerican pier, which is not the same spot as where the day-porting ships go. It's near the *small* airport that you won't be flying into; you'll likely be flying into SJU, the Luis Muniz Marin intl airport. Taxis, from what I know, are all flat rate, not based on mileage/time.

There have been many discussions about boarding time over on cruisecritic. It seems that when people get there around 11am they encounter LONG lines. You drop luggage, check in, then can leave again if you wish to. Many do, many stay onboard!

There are no real boarding times like on Disney, but they might give a suggestion.

Getting off the ship will be on the early side. If you want to sightsee before you're able to check in (not sure if the hotels in San Juan will hold bags) Barrachina will watch your luggage. http://www.barrachina.com/#servicios (it's in English) They are the home of the pina colada. :)

We'll be on Adventure in December, doing the same things you're doing! :)

IMO, since you are staying over until Monday, I would explore San Juan on the Sunday you disembark. Yes, the airport taxis are priced by zones. You will tell an attendant where you want to go, and he will mark the price on a paper and give it to you. We have sailed from San Juan 3 times. Each time we have got to the port by 12:30 pm and practically walked on with no waiting. However, it is not a sure thing

Thank you. Bumbershoot - look forward to hearing about your trip. I always value your opinion and insight.

We are flying into San Juan Saturday, landing around 10pm. I believe the ship leaves at 8:30 pm Sunday. What time are we able to board? What time do you recommend boarding? We have anytime dining, so aren't rushed to board and change for early dinner. I'm trying to figure out if we will sight-see that day before boarding so I can book a hotel in a good location for our plans. That leads me to my next question - which pier does RC sail out of? I believe it isn't the same one as Disney, but I'm not sure how relevant that is if I'm not waking and rushing to the ship?

We arrive back on Sunday and our flight is the following day, Monday, at 1:30 pm. What time can we be off the ship, and what time must we be off the ship?

Our recent cruising experience is Disney with the kids - which is all about the ship and being on board as long as possible. This trip is without kids and more port intensive. We want to explore and see new places, so I'd like to enjoy San Juan, unless someone tells me there is good reason to board early?

With Disney I had all my booking dates down. I am clueless here. When can I book excursions? or specialty dining? or spa treatments? Do we get a port arrival time, like with Disney, or just board in any order when we arrive?

I appreciate any input!

We just did a Southern aboard the Jewel in January from the Pan American Pier~! We were parked right next door to the Wonder, although when their ships just make a port stop they use the other pier closer to Old San Juan. We spent the embarkation morning wandering around Old San Juan and went back to drop the rental car & finish packing before we were kicked out of our room at 11. Then we grabbed a taxi straight over to the port and encountered a minimal line outside the terminal where you drop your bags and they check your documents/passport before letting you inside. Inside there was NO line at all, we walked right up to a counter and checked in, then it was straight on the ship. All really easy! If you wanted to leave and come back you are free to do so but we stayed aboard since we had wandered around the day prior and that morning already.

I can't remember exact times, but debarkation worked the same as with DCL. We had a breakfast time where we went to the MDR and had breakfast and then I went up to the cafe and bought a coffee from the Starbucks. We wandered a bit more and then left since there wasn't anything else to do. I'm not sure when they will kick you off, I've never tried staying past my "welcome" on DCL either. ;)

Other than to get your bearings quicker or view the ship there isn't a reason to get aboard quickly.

Depending on when you sail you may be able to book them NOW. With RCCL you pay when you book instead of on the ship. I did find that as we got closer to the embarkation date more options showed up as far as drink & dinner packages but spa treatments, dining, and most excursions were available to me from day 1. I do think they told us a time we could board, but I am pretty sure it was just when the port opened - you can board when you like I think! :)

Thanks, AquaDame. I think I might spend Sunday morning exploring Old San Juan and then use the debarkation day for other sight-seeing. I'm not in a huge rush to get on the ship if there isn't a reason to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter