Baymax Vibes Requested but Disney Dreaming

sage210

Earning My Ears
Hi Fellow Disers!
Sending a request for Baymax comfort vibes!
Saturday is my 40th birthday, and Friday I was meant to be leaving for an amazing Disneyworld trip for a week. But alas, life had other plans!

Just before Thanksgiving I found out I had lung cancer, stage 3. And the treatments mean I'll be recovering from my fifth round of chemo and 20th targeted radiation instead. I've handled it so well! But the effects are starting to pile up and the combo of missing a great trip and dealing with side effects on my birthday has me bummed. (My throat is sore so I dont even want ice cream! Not even if you could get me one in the shape of Mickey which is my go to!)

Friends and family are supportive of my struggles but they dont always understand how losing a Disney vacation includes missing out on some mich needed Pixie Dust too! This trip was a big birthday, and a much needed break from a stressful job. It was kind of doomed from the start, my teenager had a conflict so it was now solo instead of family, and all indications look like a snowstorm would have left me stranded anyway. So maybe not going is a blessing in disguise?

Anyway, I figure since Friday would have been the boring travel day, after treatment I'll have a Donald Duck style pity party/rant/unintelligible freak out for five minutes, watch Disney movies whilst cuddling the Baymax my daughter got me a few years ago, and then look to Walt's advice to keep dreaming and look to the future.

The good new is since Walt's battle with lung cancer great strides have been made, and I've actually got a chance to beat this thing, or at least wring out some high quality years before it beats me. I'm meeting with my oncologist tomorrow and am going to ask about timelines so I know when I can travel again, and as soon as is physically and fiscally responsible one of my first trips will be to celebrate Disney style! I already can't wait!

Until then could you send good vibes so I'm back to Mickey and Minnie style optimism asap, and completely unselfishly enjoy your Disney dreaming a bit more too?

Thank you all for listening to my rant. And thanks for being Disney nerds as much as or more than I am so I ha e a safe place to Disney dream as an adult. And so much thanks for trip reports and sharing deals and spilling construction gossip which feeds my excitement so much! I dont post much, but this board is truly a haven some days.

Happy Disney dreaming all!

Hi Sage. :hug:s

Very sorry to hear all this, a lot to digest for sure. You sure sound upbeat and resolute going forward. My wife, Marie, was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer back in 1998, 22 years ago this month. She did a trial back then, minor surgery followed by very aggressive chemo and radiation regimens over the next 9 months. She was 50 years old at the time. A few months from now she will be celebrating her 73rd birthday. She felt, as do I, that attitude had and still has a lot to do with the outcome. I sure feel like you have the right 'tude'. As an aside, Donald Duck is her favorite Disney character, because he has 'tude' also. :donald: Don't lose it.

Our first family trip to WDW was late 1999 to celebrate Marie's remission and return to health. You will do likewise, so keep up with your planning.

If you have not visited this thread, please do. You will be so helped and comforted by many members here on the dis. And it is not 'limited ' to those with breast cancer. Any and all are welcome.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dis-breast-cancer-survivors-part-iv-gagwta.2833381/
In the meantime, keep Baymax close, and keep dreaming. Give hell to that beast inside, but only inside temporally. You are in my prayers, Sage. :hug:'s

If you have not visited this thread, please do. You will be so helped and comforted by many members here on the dis. And it is not 'limited ' to those with breast cancer. Any and all are welcome.

What a great thread! Thank you!
I stopped by to look around and already love it. I'll make sure to say hi over there tomorrow!

Hi Fellow Disers!
Sending a request for Baymax comfort vibes!
Saturday is my 40th birthday, and Friday I was meant to be leaving for an amazing Disneyworld trip for a week. But alas, life had other plans!

Just before Thanksgiving I found out I had lung cancer, stage 3. And the treatments mean I'll be recovering from my fifth round of chemo and 20th targeted radiation instead. I've handled it so well! But the effects are starting to pile up and the combo of missing a great trip and dealing with side effects on my birthday has me bummed. (My throat is sore so I dont even want ice cream! Not even if you could get me one in the shape of Mickey which is my go to!)

Friends and family are supportive of my struggles but they dont always understand how losing a Disney vacation includes missing out on some mich needed Pixie Dust too! This trip was a big birthday, and a much needed break from a stressful job. It was kind of doomed from the start, my teenager had a conflict so it was now solo instead of family, and all indications look like a snowstorm would have left me stranded anyway. So maybe not going is a blessing in disguise?

Anyway, I figure since Friday would have been the boring travel day, after treatment I'll have a Donald Duck style pity party/rant/unintelligible freak out for five minutes, watch Disney movies whilst cuddling the Baymax my daughter got me a few years ago, and then look to Walt's advice to keep dreaming and look to the future.

The good new is since Walt's battle with lung cancer great strides have been made, and I've actually got a chance to beat this thing, or at least wring out some high quality years before it beats me. I'm meeting with my oncologist tomorrow and am going to ask about timelines so I know when I can travel again, and as soon as is physically and fiscally responsible one of my first trips will be to celebrate Disney style! I already can't wait!

Until then could you send good vibes so I'm back to Mickey and Minnie style optimism asap, and completely unselfishly enjoy your Disney dreaming a bit more too?

Thank you all for listening to my rant. And thanks for being Disney nerds as much as or more than I am so I ha e a safe place to Disney dream as an adult. And so much thanks for trip reports and sharing deals and spilling construction gossip which feeds my excitement so much! I dont post much, but this board is truly a haven some days.

Happy Disney dreaming all!
I am sorry to hear of your battle. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a future of good health.

Loving your determination! Keep it going. Stay strong, you got this! :goodvibes :hug:

Yes, people who aren't Disney fanatics don't quite understand the Pixie Dust, so I am glad you came on here so we could throw some your way. :wizard: Can't wait to hear when you are re-scheduling your trip. It will be all the more sweet this time around.

Sending you prayers and pixie dust for strength. Sounds like you are a very strong person, and have a good handle on your situation. Wishing you nothing but the best in your battle.

Sage, Saturday is my birthday, too! Not one of my big ones ... just some mid-50s number. We plan to celebrate at Disneyland given the new ride opening tomorrow. My prayer for you is that you will also be celebrating your similar mid-50's number at Disney theme parks!

Happy Birthday, sweetie. May you feel the warmth, encouragement, and love of your family and friends supporting you. pixiedust: Here is a smidge of added pixie dust ... the parks will be waiting for your return on any date you choose to celebrate! 🎂🥂

{{HUGS}} Birthday pal!

Sending you many positive thoughts. It sounds like you have a positive outlook already which is huge! Get better quick and then get back to planning a fun vacation! :hug:

Thanks, everyone! This really is one of the best places on the internet!
Feeling good today and DIDNT react badly to my meds today! Baymax vibes helped! Woot woot!

Bvwbound - Happy Almost birthday! I have it on good authority that January babies are the best! Jason Segal who brought back the muppets shares it too! (And Kevin Costner but I think his only Disney relationship is staring in "McFarland, Usa") we're in good company!

I come from a family of cancer survivors. I truly believe that a positive attitude and faith makes all the difference. You seem to have a very positive attitude and a lot of strength. Keep fighting the good fight. You've got this...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!