BCV Owner's Review of VWL 2/4-2/8

donmil723

Stormalong Bay/Castaway Cay Beach Bum
First of all, I want to say that I absolutely love BCV and it is really the only DVC resort I have ever wanted to own. In fact, our waitlist for extra BCV points just came through 2 days before this trip.

Now, on to my VWL trip report.....

We arrived on 2/4 at 11:45 a.m. using ME--exactly one hour after stepping off our plane. Check in was easy and our room was ready!!!! Don't know if this makes a difference but this is only the second time we've had our room ready prior to check-in time and both times we have used ME. Also, another thumbs up for Garden Grocer and their excellent service!!

OUR ROOM--STUDIO 3563
The bed was SOOOO comfortable!!! Felt like a pillowtop mattress.
The tilework around the tub is beautiful.
Housekeeping was quick with requests for wineglasses, ice tea pitcher, and more hangers.
Drawers in vanity were great to reduce clutter on countertop.
Having a DVD player in studio.

DISLIKES:
The bathroom light and fan are on one switch. Made it kinda breezy taking a shower or bath.
With just two small wooden chairs by table, it seemed like something was missing in the corner across from the sofa. At first I thought the table and chairs needed to go in the corner instead of under the mirror.
Decor a little blah with walls painted a cream color in the main part of studio and too dark in the vanity/kitchenette/entrance area with the deep red. I missed having a large picture by the bed.

WL/VWL RESORT
The WL Lobby, VWL lobby, and Iron Spike Room are awesome! DH and I enjoyed playing checkers and/or sipping wine in those relaxing rockers in front of the fireplaces at night.
Renting bikes and riding over to Ft. Wilderness.
The convenience to MK.
Quiet pool is nicer than BCV with the bubbling jets. Hot tub seemed to have more jets but didn't think the water was as clear as it should have been.
The listing of the daily activities offered at WL.

DISLIKES:
The long hallway that reminded us of either the Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror. I love walking but our room was the very last one -right across from the dreaded dumpster view rooms. I don't think this hallway is any longer than the one at BCV but because it was so straight and so dark that it just seemed longer.
Not much action at WL in the evening especially--always had to take a bus or boat to go anywhere to do anything. I think I used more Disney transportation this trip than I have in our past 2-3 trips combined.

HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR TRIP:
Pirates and Princess Party on 2/5. All rides were walk-ons--BTMRR and Buzz we were able to stay on and not get off. Fireworks were SPECTACULAR!!! Why doesn't Disney make a DVD of their fireworks shows???? Parade was good as was the Dream Along with Mickey show in the Castle forecourt.

Relaxing in front of the VWL fireplaces sipping wine in the evening.

Riding bikes to Fort Wilderness.

Winning two towel animals--an angel and 3 birds in a canoe.

SUMMARY:

While we really enjoyed our stay at VWL, I don't think we will become VWL Groupies. I, more so than DH, really missed our BCV. It is just so nice to be able to come and go to Epcot and Disney-MGM studios without waiting for Disney transportation, to have the action and excitement of the Boardwalk within walking distance as well as a wider variety of restaurants, and access to Stormalong Bay.

Donna

Nice report. :thumbsup2

We usually miss BCV when we are at VWL as well-mostly location, but it's still great.:)

Thanks for the great comparison/report! Well done and very objective.

I am sorry you won't be joining our VWL groupie group, but I understand.

We stayed at BCV for the first time in Dec 2005. You have a great home resort!

From a BWV regular here - I love the ambience of VWL and you can't beat the amenities of the resort, but the transportation makes it a deal breaker for us. Perhaps if we weren't toting a stroller it would be different, but then again, if it were just us adults the resort might not be our first choice anyway.

Thanks for the report Donna! We will be giving VWL a try next week, and as a BCV owner/lover I was looking forward to your review.

I'm wondering if we will get a fair experience with the pool rehab going on.

Was the pool down during your stay? Did the rehab bother you in any way? Crowding of the villa pool? Change in walkways?

Hi Lisa!

Yes, the main pool was closed during our stay. The kiddie pool, main hot tub, and the pool bar were open. Since we only had one day + the day we left that were nice enough to spend at the pool, I didn't mind that the main pool was closed. There were several people in the pool but it wasn't crowded. If the weather had been warmer, I would have missed not having the main pool available. The quiet pool area at the villas is beautiful with all of the trees around.
100_2627.jpg

We couldn't walk from the boat to the villas along the walkway by the geyser as it was closed due to the pool construction. Instead you had to walk through the lodge or outside between the main pool and the lodge to get to the villas from the boat, which made it a slightly longer walk.

By the way, the geyser was not working during our entire stay. Don't know if it had anything to do with the pool construction or not. They had a sign that said it was broken but thought it would be going again soon.

It is a beautiful resort and I'm sure you will enjoy your stay. We really did enjoy it and I am glad we stayed there. I am also glad that we will be back at BCV in March and May!!!!!

Donna

Thank you for the report and the picture of the villa pool...ahh, I can't wait to be there...March can't come too quickly!
Bobbi:goodvibes

Thanks for the review! That pool looks like it would be so nice to take a dip in... ah... :)

Donna...very nice report! :thumbsup2

It's a shame that the main pool and geyser were down while you were there. Not that it makes or breaks the experience but that area is a focal point of the resort's scenery and activity.

I think your assessment of VWL is very fair. And I could see that someone that likes the decor and location of BCV not caring as much for the location of VWL.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, and thanks for sharing your observations and opinions. :)

we are lucky to have contracts at wilderness lodge and beach club. We usually stay at beach club in spring and wilderness lodge in fall or around the holidays, something like that. There are such good things to both. I miss the lodge when we are at the beach club, but it is so nice to have storm along bay and to walk over to epcot. We always try to do more magic kingdom area stuff when we are at the lodge, and more epcot area stuff when we are at the beach club, but we almost always find ourselves ending up at the other one at some point. Oh, lets go have breakfast at cape may. Oh, lets go have a drink at the lodge.

we are lucky to have contracts at wilderness lodge and beach club. We usually stay at beach club in spring and wilderness lodge in fall or around the holidays, something like that. There are such good things to both. I miss the lodge when we are at the beach club, but it is so nice to have storm along bay and to walk over to epcot. We always try to do more magic kingdom area stuff when we are at the lodge, and more epcot area stuff when we are at the beach club, but we almost always find ourselves ending up at the other one at some point. Oh, lets go have breakfast at cape may. Oh, lets go have a drink at the lodge.

That's us-word for word, just throw in BW View in the summer.:thumbsup2

Thanks for the report!

It's nice that you were able to enjoy some of the quieter things at VWL/WL -- the fireplace, Iron Spike, etc. To us, it's those little things that make a trip so special and memorable. :goodvibes

Sorry to hear that the geyser and main pool were out of commission while you were there. Those are two of our favorite aspects of the Lodge.

I can certainly understand the transportation comparison of BCV vs. VWL. DH and I are in love with both resorts and they are our top two. Both atmospheres and offerings are unique. But for now BCV wins out because of the location in conjunction with transportation. We have young ones on our trips so being closer to more parks is important to us. When the kids are bigger, I can certainly imagine having more VWL visits.

Again, thanks for the TR!

Thanks for the review...

Sorry the main pool was closed....it's really nice to hang out there
with the geyser and pool bar...

I'm looking forward to trying all the dvc's:goodvibes
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter