Beach cities/towns north of LA - help me decide

LuvTigger

DIS Veteran
I've been to LA many times, and have spent time in the beach cities south of LA down to San Diego, but haven't spent much time north of LA. Although I'm usually a good planner, I'm totally clueless about this one!

I'm thinking of going somewhere like Santa Barbara or thereabouts, or maybe Solvang. We'll be driving from Vegas, and I know it's going to take 5-6 hours to get there. I'm looking for someplace just to relax, but somewhere that has shops and restaurants nearby.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which city/town is a good place to stay (on the beach would be nice, but not an absolute must)? I kind of like walking towns, where we can either walk from the hotel, or park in one spot and be able to walk around, but again, not a must. As far as a hotel, I'd like to try to stay within a $125-$175/night range. I'm not sure if that's possible on the beach! I was doing some Priceline research, but it didn't seem like there were a lot of options.

I guess I spend so much time doing things where I need to be somewhere at a certain time, or fit in a bunch of activites (or rides, ala Disneyland!), I want to go somewhere where I can just relax and do things at a leisurely pace.

Please help steer me in the right direction!! Thanks!!! :sunny:

Santa Barbara is a great place to go. Not sure of hotel/motel rates, but the downtown shopping district is within walking distance of the beach area and they have shuttles that run up and down State Street--the main drag. Solvang is a little Danish town north and inland of Santa Barbara. My choice would be Santa Barbara, especially if you've never been there.

Thank you eduk8r26! I ended up booking a hotel right across the beach in Santa Barbara called the Hotel Mar Monte, ocean view room for $157, AAA rate.

From what I've been reading so far, it looks like there are many dining options! We'll have a car, so we can always drive to Solvang and other areas to explore.

I'm still open to any tips or "must sees" while I'm there!

Don't know when you'll be in Santa Barbara, but on Sunday there is usually an arts and crafts fair up and down Cabrillo Blvd. The zoo is not far away, either, if you have young kids. It's fun to walk out on the pier. There are a couple of shops and some restaurants, including a fresh fish one where you can order crab or other sea food and eat at picnic tables outdoors. Watch for the pelicans, too!

I love SB. Ventura (south of SB) has a fun mini golf and theatre complex.Solvang is fun for a few hours to shop and eat.

Note that you'll be near the Santa Ynez wine country, the setting for the movie "Sideways". You'll pass by the Hitching Post restaurant on the way to Solvang - I recommend it. Los Olivos is a nice town to visit - art galleries and upscale restaurants. The Neverland Ranch is nearby, but don't let that keep you away, the circus has left town.

Not quite in your price range, for October not sure of your dates, but right on the beach is the Santa Barbara Inn. We stayed here in 2003 and it was a great location.

Claire ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter