Beating the deceased equine... Newbie question about Lot size/total length..

Steve Davlantis

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. Just found this board and we are making our first ever family trip to Disney. We're staying in the Campground and even after searching I'm having a hard time finding some specific info..

Specifically total lot sizes. There are posts about people having to park in the main parking because of a lack of room, not being able fit trailers completely, slides not having enough room, etc.. and the Disney web site is not much use for this either.

So.. Here goes..

We're coming down in June from Northwest Indiana with our 2006 Expedition and Jayco X23B hybrid. Total length for this rig is right around 42ft.. We had a Full hookup lot first then changed to the preferred based on some reading here and deciding we'd like to be closer to where everything is located.. But the preferred lots are only 45ft total.. That only leaves 3 ft in length and I have to drop the ends out as it's a hybrid..

11836919_10153580093341340_5509505314460738393_n.jpg

Also I've seen where people are saying that you have to ask for certain lots, loops and ask for other things. Nowhere in our reservation process was there any place for that kind of request/feedback. So.. Where are these requests made and how?

Perhaps we're overthinking this but I'd rather be safe than arrive and find ourselves in a really bad situation.

Also.. Bicycles. It doesn't say specifically anywhere that I can find but are there Bike racks located at the pool and by the restaurants/stores or by the boats and shuttles where we can lock them up while we head out to the parks for the day? I'd just like to make sure of everything well in advance so that everything will be great for the kiddo's and DW.

Thanks for any help! :)

Steve, I was there for our first camping trip last October. We were in a 31` fifth wheel and a full hook up site, without issue. I don't believe you will have any trouble in any site. You can't request a particular site ... You can request a loop but that request is not guaranteed. Your request can be made by phone prior to your visit.

Bike racks are everywhere and in the places that you ask about.

Dont sweat it, we have a 42' fifth wheel, F450 dually TV, 57' total length, 12 trips from northern illinois to FW, always able to park. I have to back the truck in diagonal, but still have room for golf cart, we like 700 loop :thumbsup2

Steve let me answer the easy one first. Bike Racks. The locations you mentioned all have them. Locking them is a very good idea Try looking for threads from last month and you'll find one where thefts of bicycles was THE topic.
As for lot size I suspect you would have done fine with a full hook I have seen a number of LARGE Class A's 42-45 ft and Larger 5th wheels all with room to spare. Some of the others can advise you better

I'll go out on a limb and say your name is Steve.

:welcome: to the Camping Forum. Great 1st post. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Sometimes a search will turn up what you want. Sometimes not.

1st, your rig will fit on nearly any site at "The Fort" (you'll start calling it that soon). My 5er is 42+ ft and the truck is another 22. I need to be on a Premium now, partly due to the length, but mostly due to navigating tighter loops and having big slides on both sides.

Here's the basic low down on site sizes. Length varies on any of the 4 site types. Width of pavement and sand/shell (coquina ) pad for a tent are the main differences.

Premiums have 18 ft wide of pavement. No coquine pad. He is my site from September. This one was short for a Premium site, but remember, truck and trailer are nearly 65 ft.

Site 1404-2.jpg

Preferred and Full are essentially the same. They both have full hookups (W,E,S,C), 12 ft wide of pavement plus the coquina pad for a tent. Preferred sites (Loop 100, 200, 300) are close to the marina and Settlement with the trading post, Trail End restaurant and HDDR. Where Full sites are back towards the Outpost and a little more remote to the activities. Many prefer this "remoteness". Here is a pic of my old 5er (31 ft long with the same truck) in the 100 loop (Preferred).
IMG_20110528_151352.jpg IMG_20110528_151422.jpg

As you can see, plenty of depth for a 31 ft trailer and 22 ft truck.

Tent/Popup sites are similar to the Preferred/Full sites with the coquina pad, but they don't have a sewer hook up. There are only 2 Popup loops. One closer to the Meadows area with the large pool, camp fire and trading post. The other is more remote up closer to the cabins. I've never stayed in a tent/popup loop, but many on here have and love them.

Hope this helps.

What else are you wondering about?

j

Attachments

• IMG_20110528_151432.jpg
    IMG_20110528_151432.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 5
Steve, I don't think you'll have a problem in a Preferred. There are some short sites (115, 201 for example) but most (especially those on the outside of the loop (versus the inside)) will accomodate you quite easily. At Halloween 3 months ago I was in 125 (outside, 100 loop) and one side was 60-something feet paved and the other side was 80-something feet. Not sure where you got the 45 foot number - site lengths might have a general minimum paved length but they vary in length.

Also you don't HAVE to request a loop but many of us have been enough times to know what our first choice of loops would be (I book Preferred now and request loop 100 for example). Of course it's only a REQUEST and not a guarantee. But lots of people just take whatever Lady Luck gives them for an assignment (and if it's a problem after you look at it you can ask for a change).

Oh and thanks for not beatdeadhorse8gx_zpsca403234.GIF.

Post any question that pops into your head. We don't mind and there are others out there who are probably asking the same questions and would like to hear an answer.

Bama Ed

Thanks everyone for the assurances and information. That definitely puts one worry off the page for us! :)

The conflicting info comes from the Disney wepage which doesn't exactly read well..

Tent or Pop up site "up to 10 feet by 25 feet"
Full hook up site "up to 10 feet by 50 feet"
Preferred site "up to 10 feet by 45 feet"
Premium site "up to 18 feet by 60 feet"

When I chatted with a couple of the online Disney folks I asked if there was any wiggle room in those figures, things that weren't account for like parking, sand pads, overhang or overlap between sites or in front of back.. They told me that those figures were the actual total site measurements.. So I was a bit concerned..

Counting down until June 3rd!!

Steve, you can use an app to view most of the sites ,,, yep, there's an app for that:-) if you have an Android device, the app is called Fort Wilderness Sites in the Play store. The app is rather old and has not been updated in a long time but it will give you an idea of what most sites look like.

Last edited:
First off, :welcome: to the camping board. Ask any question you like, if we can't answer it, welllllll, someone will just make up a answer that sounds good. :thumbsup2 This is our site, 700 loop, premium, 35' fifth wheel, had plenty of room. Enjoy your stay, we are at Ft Wilderness in July! Not counting but only 176 days left. party:
DSC_1021 (800x533) (800x533).jpg

As others have stated sites are good, the biggest issue I have had at the fort are immoveable objects causing issue with backing in to a site. Even then we have made it in to the sites. Although did have to ask to be reassigned this year, first one was just not happening without a crane.
As you can see above, many have larger trailers and big trucks to tow them with and make it in just fine.

Here are two large fifthwheels with there tow vehicles and cars in the 500 loop.

FACFAF59-186F-41F8-A540-C48B5090DA3A.jpeg

43AB5B74-49E1-4A36-90DB-A92313ADBA5B.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts