Bed for 2 year old not in pack n' play

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
So my 22 month old just decided he hates his crib and has been sleeping on his floor the past few nights. Won't even consider his crib so we are moving him to his big boy bed. I hadn't planned on doing this for another year so I never imagined we would have an issue when we are in Disney. Now I'm wondering what he should sleep on? We are staying dvc but won't be in the rooms that have the pull down bed. Do I pack an air mattress, his napper mat he has at school or something different? We are traveling to see in-laws next week so I can test out something on that trip. I want to make sure he sleeps well on vacation! What have you tried that's worked or not worked? Thanks!!

For my daughter we bought a toddler size air mattress that is big enough for her, on the ground so she won't get hurt falling off and plenty small to put a suitcase. I believe i bought it on amazon. I can find the name for you when i get home from work. I just looked on amazon and i think it was Shrunks. Not cheap but it has worked well and comes with an electric pump.

I'd either go with an air mattress or inflatable bed rails. My son is also 22 months old. We don't have any trips planned (to anywhere) until next spring, but he's too big for a pack n play, so we will need another option. I'm planning on getting inflatable bed rails to rake when we travel.

Disney resort hotels offer bed rails, if you (or someone else) doesn't mind sharing a bed with him - or if you have an extra bed in your room.

You can request them at the check in desk or call housekeeping from your room, and they will be delivered to your room. They will even leave them in your room if you aren't there, as long as you don't have the "Do not disturb" sign on your door.

Disney resort hotels offer bed rails, if you (or someone else) doesn't mind sharing a bed with him - or if you have an extra bed in your room.

You can request them at the check in desk or call housekeeping from your room, and they will be delivered to your room. They will even leave them in your room if you aren't there, as long as you don't have the "Do not disturb" sign on your door.
This! When our son was that age he was already sleeping in a twin bed. We requested bed rails and it worked out perfectly.
I would say if you have the bed space for him then that would be the way to go. If not and you were counting on him being in the crib then use a toddler size air mattress. I would think a napping mat might not be comfortable enough for all night

I'd either go with an air mattress or inflatable bed rails. My son is also 22 months old. We don't have any trips planned (to anywhere) until next spring, but he's too big for a pack n play, so we will need another option. I'm planning on getting inflatable bed rails to rake when we travel.

This! When our son was that age he was already sleeping in a twin bed. We requested bed rails and it worked out perfectly.
I would say if you have the bed space for him then that would be the way to go. If not and you were counting on him being in the crib then use a toddler size air mattress. I would think a napping mat might not be comfortable enough for all night

No go on bed rails. We have 3 adults in a studio for 2 nights and then a 1 bedroom for 3 nights following that. The third person is my mom and I don't think they would share well.

Those inflatable toddler beds are pricy! I wonder if that would even fit in a studio when we are using the bed and pullout sofa.

No go on bed rails. We have 3 adults in a studio for 2 nights and then a 1 bedroom for 3 nights following that. The third person is my mom and I don't think they would share well.

Those inflatable toddler beds are pricy! I wonder if that would even fit in a studio when we are using the bed and pullout sofa.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your only options are the pack n play/crib or the toddler mattress. I have no idea on space, you'd need to check the dimentions.

One other thought I had was you share a bed with your mom and your husband shares with your son.

I agree with the poster who said a napping mat isn't going to be comfortable enough for all night.

One last thing...our kids are almost exactly the same age. My son goes through "phases" all of the time. Won't eat this or that, wakes up early, fights naps, and then a week later he's back to normal. Is your son potentially just in a crib-fighting phase? It may be worth trying out again in a week or so and see if he's snapped out of it.

Well I guess only you know if your Mom would be ok sharing with your son. But it doesn't seem like you have many options if he refuses the porta-crib. As far as space is concerned, if you were putting up the crib then a smaller air mattress wouldn't take up much more floor space. Either way you'll need to use the space for him sleeping somewhere.

We took our oldest when she was two and put her in the middle of a double bed and put pillows on either side of her. She never fell off. I was worried but she was so dead tired each never she barely moved.

So my 22 month old just decided he hates his crib and has been sleeping on his floor the past few nights. Won't even consider his crib so we are moving him to his big boy bed. I hadn't planned on doing this for another year so I never imagined we would have an issue when we are in Disney. Now I'm wondering what he should sleep on? We are staying dvc but won't be in the rooms that have the pull down bed. Do I pack an air mattress, his napper mat he has at school or something different? We are traveling to see in-laws next week so I can test out something on that trip. I want to make sure he sleeps well on vacation! What have you tried that's worked or not worked? Thanks!!

We used this peapod travel bed for our dd from the time she was 2 until she was about 6. She loved it and slept great in it for an entire week at Pop Century once.

https://www.amazon.com/KidCo-P3010-...=1506346079&sr=1-1&keywords=peapod+travel+bed

This cheap cot has served my kids well when we travel. It folds up pretty compactly too!

For a while during the toddler years my daughter would sleep on the floor for naps, literally on a folded up comforter surrounded by pillows. We called it her "nest." That was one of the weird phases she went through. I was just grateful she slept at all.
If you are not too skeeved by the hotel floor he may be happy on pillows with a bedspread over them.

We have the shrunks toddler bed it has fit in both a 1bedroom and a studio (sofa bed was being used as well). We got it when my now 5 year old was 2 and it has paid for itself on numerous trips. My 18 month old now uses it and does well on it. We pack it in a large suitcase with the kids clothes.

My kids have absolutely no problem sleeping directly on the floor. My 5 year old did it for over a month when we were switching his and his older brother's rooms. He could have slept on a bed, he chose the floor. If he'll sleep on a mat on the floor, go with that. We just put a comforter down, but if you have a mat he uses for naps at school, go with something like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter