Bed Poles for college Dorm-- HELP!!

Boardwalk Gal

Lean not on your own understanding.
Hi!

I have a newly college freshman daughter who will be leaving to college in 7 weeks. When she visited the college and stayed over at the dorms a few months ago, she noticed that many students had lifting cylinder shape poles that crank and lifts the bed up to make room for underneath the bed..ie: Couch, desk, chair in that area..etc.. almost like a loft like. She loved it and asked where they got them and they told her Loews. We both went to Loews today in our area and they looked at both of us like we asked a foreign question. Does anyone here know what i am talking about?? If so, can anyone assist us what does it called and where we can buy it?? Thanks so much for your help, You guys helped me greatly assisting me with renting books online and i know you will be able to help me again!! I even google online but no avail. I don't know the specific name for it.

Thanks!!!:goodvibes

You can't buy anything to lift a bed up that high that would be college-approved.. you can normally request for your college to loft your bed for a small fee though.

Another alternative to get more room: plastic bed risers. :D

I just went college shopping recently, and stores such as Target and Walmart have some cheaper alternatives to sas_mk's suggestion.

The most popular at Target are the round plastic bed risers. They raise your bed 5 inches, and the cost is $12.99 for four.
http://www.target.com/Plastic-Bed-Risers-Set-4/dp/B0009H2JPI/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

If you need something higher than 5 inches, then the Walmart adjustable bed risers are probably what you need. With these, you can raise your bed 3, 5, or 8 inches. They are a little bit more pricey at $15.88 for four, but I think these would be the better option if you are looking for maximum under-bed space for minimum price.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Adjustable-Bed-Risers/5148131

You're both totally misreading the OP's post. She's looking for something that will raise the bed something like 5 feet above the floor, not 5 inches. I tried googling "loft bed" as well as "loft bed college" and while I did find metal loft beds, I didn't find anything like what the OP is describing.

You're both totally misreading the OP's post. She's looking for something that will raise the bed something like 5 feet above the floor, not 5 inches. I tried googling "loft bed" as well as "loft bed college" and while I did find metal loft beds, I didn't find anything like what the OP is describing.

yes, Siskaren is correct;..although i do appreciate your help from the 2 posts above. ;)

Hmm, that's so weird--there nothing on google about it either... My daughter even showed me the pic she took of the dorm..it is white cylinder shape that did indeed raised the bed like 5 feet.

Ok...Here is a pic of the college dorm...if you look to the left, you will see that white poles that raise the bed..Those are the poles i am looking for!! Perhaps i have to call the college housing dept. I just thought this is a common thing among many colleges but i guess not!!:confused3

148219_1497956456648_1466220113_31087594_4796944_n.jpg

In the picture that just looks like PVC piping....the kind that plummers us for drainage. I am not sure how sturdy that would be????

PVC tubes and looks like it has flanges at the bottom to spread out the weight a little bit, but if you get a bad pvc tube, that could be ugly!

Pj

Yea it just looks like PVC pipes. Most colleges(well I know mine does) have loft kits specifically made for their beds. in that picture there is a bunk bed, and the loft kits that colleges provide are the same thing without the spring for the bed which can be taken off fairly easily. Since they do have the bunk bed I'm positive they have loft kits(that are much more safe than PVC pipes) but I'm not sure if it will cost anything to use them. At my school they are free, you just have to ask an RA. I would call Reslife at the school and ask them if they can provide you with a loft kit.

ok, my daughter got in touch with one of the students who is currently there and wrote back last night..She said, the college give them out upon request. I asked why did one tell you you get it at Loews and she said, perhaps she misheard me and thought i was asking about something else..who knows!!

Yes, it does look like PVC piping but it is not. (i said the same thing--LOL!!) And yes, i am concerned about the sturdiness of it too but my daughter said, almost every dorm had one.....so..I am going to call the college housing myself and ask about it.

Thanks you all for all your help!!! At least, i don't have to worry about shopping for that thing!! LOL!!!

I would be soo scared to sleep on that thing. There's no need for my bed to be that high up. lmao. No siree bob!

Hi - this sounds like exactly what I am looking for! I just signed up so I could write to you, for some reason can't see your pic but what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you let me know where to get the item? If it's not available commercially, I can call the school! Please let me know, I've been on a search forever, thank you!

Hi - this sounds like exactly what I am looking for! I just signed up so I could write to you, for some reason can't see your pic but what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you let me know where to get the item? If it's not available commercially, I can call the school! Please let me know, I've been on a search forever, thank you!

This is a 6 year old zombie thread - how did you even find it?

ha! lots of research. i've been googling things like "cranking bed risers" "lifting loft beds", just all sorts of random search terms to match the idea in my head, and this thread showed up in the google search results - the funny thing is i love disney!!! added bonus. i live in a nyc apartment, can't get a murphy bed because i am not allowed to screw anything into the floor or wall, elevator beds are like 5k, and i don't want a loft bed that just stays high. i am specifically looking for a bed frame of legs i can crank up and down so i can roll my desk into the bedroom when i want to, and crank it down when i want to sleep in the bed....so when i saw OPs post i was like "she has the answer!" unfortunately i couldn't see OP's pics of item, but i'm hoping she responds with where she got them, or at least from what school so i can call them myself...i can't find anything like what she describes...if you have any clues please let me know! thank you so much. i've been hunting forever...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!