Being an adult and liking Disney...

My friends used to give me a hard time but then realized this is my family's "thing". While so many friends have their beach condos, boats, Rv's etc., we have our Disney Vacation Club.

My dining room is decorated in Disney and looks very classy. Hubby and I honeymooned there, take our kids everal times a year and go together without the kids sometimes too.

It is a great place for us to go and forget our CRAZY careers, wild schedules with all fo the kkids sports, etc. and just be silly and have fun and be together for a few days.

Many of our best family bonding times have been with all the kids at Disney. We make wonderful memories there!

While our friends all go to the same beach with the same view year after year, our vacations are always different. There is NO PLACE I would rather be than in EPCOT sipping a glass of Rosa Regale or riding Soarin'.

I am proud to be an adullt who loves Disney and I guarantee MANY would love to have the incredible memories my family and I have made there!

editalbum.php

editalbum.php

editalbum.php

I'm 52 and a Disney fanatic!!!! Love going to the WDW, and hopefully one day soon we will make the trek to the other coast and visit Disneyland. Like SydneyFalco I'm well educated, high paying job, three kids - one married and two in college.

I have always loved Disney - my mother is a two-time cancer survivor (10 years cancer free this year) and that time in my life just reinforced to me that as the saying goes - "life is short - eat dessert first" - I want to enjoy my life and have fun and if that means trips to WDW that's no ones business by my own. My DH and I are essentially empty-nesters and enjoy spending our time together - we ride, we walk, we enjoy the surroundings. We took our girls last Fall after graduation and had a wonderful time with them at WDW and then took a Disney cruise - in November just DH and I are going. Wanted to see the Christmas decorations. We're staying at POP!!! Sure, we can afford the deluxe resorts, but why pay all that money to sleep and shower - and, we are children of the 70's and thought the resort would be fun - that's what it's all about FUN!!!!!

I love snykymom's quote, I may grow older but I don't have to grow up - I'm a huge Tinkerbell fan - sitting at my desk right now using my Tink cup. Have Tink coffee mug, slippers, night shirt, etc. OP - you live your life in the ways that make you happy and to the nay sayers - they are just missing out!!!!!!!!!

Very well put, Tinkerella! I'm 54 yrs old (nearly 55!!) I've spent too much time in my life worrying about what others think and not paying attention to what makes me happy! So, all of you 20 and 30 somethings, if you love Disney - go for it!!! Life is hard enough, don't make it any harder!! Find magic and joy where ever you can - and where better than at Disney World (and I'm hoping to get to Disneyland some year soon - we're the same age, after all! :) :) )

Linda

i think i got a lot of disney fans at work because they say when are you going back to disney world could i go with you

Disney is my happy place! It is in every room of my house and I think about it daily. Most people just don't get it and I have made some life long friends from here om the Dis that do get it! My "X" didn't even try to get and never understood me and my love for a mouse!

It was written in the stars, or atleast in one of the beds at fort wilderness. roughly 22yrs ago my mom and dad were on vacation in the happiest place on earth. 9 months after their trip had ended they had a son (how's that for a souvenir?!) I chock that up to why I do and always will love Walt Disney World. Can't wait to go back in 3 months!

Sorry but I have to chime in. . .I get this a lot. I chime in with a "Disney is the best adult playground in the world". . .some people suddenly get it. Others need to know why I think that.

Here is my why?: At three of the parks you have a full bar, can get "walkahol" and just go exploring. Imagine riding the triple loops of RnR with about 4 mojitos in you. There is night life abundant. Dueling Pianos or ADH are just right there on the boardwalk and available for adult entertainment. World showcase provides a great backdrop for some drunken tomfoolery. Try the local favorite. . .then prepare to wobble back to your own hotel.

The opposite side is you NEVER have to apoligize to anyone for wanting to ride "pirates of the carribbean" 6 times. . .no one cares. . .enjoy. Winnie the Pooh is great without kids screaming how boring. . .Soarin becomes an international adventure instead of just watching California landmarks. . .embrace your child and let them all have it. . .beat them up. Tell them what they are missing.

I've loved Disney ever since my dad took me the first time when I was 11 and we have gone back so many times we have lost count.

Its the one place in the world I dont have to think about anything, worry about anything or have any responsibilities.

The only thing I have to worry about is what parks and rides am I going to do that day. To me it truely is the best place on earth.

Sorry but I have to chime in. . .I get this a lot. I chime in with a "Disney is the best adult playground in the world". . .some people suddenly get it. Others need to know why I think that.

Here is my why?: At three of the parks you have a full bar, can get "walkahol" and just go exploring. Imagine riding the triple loops of RnR with about 4 mojitos in you. There is night life abundant. Dueling Pianos or ADH are just right there on the boardwalk and available for adult entertainment. World showcase provides a great backdrop for some drunken tomfoolery. Try the local favorite. . .then prepare to wobble back to your own hotel.

The opposite side is you NEVER have to apoligize to anyone for wanting to ride "pirates of the carribbean" 6 times. . .no one cares. . .enjoy. Winnie the Pooh is great without kids screaming how boring. . .Soarin becomes an international adventure instead of just watching California landmarks. . .embrace your child and let them all have it. . .beat them up. Tell them what they are missing.

We love to drink around the world at EPCOT! It is my escape from reality. :wizard:

We love to drink around the world at EPCOT! It is my escape from reality. :wizard:

Ditto to that. We have done that quite a few times now. Lots of fun and most of the cast members figure out what you are doing and they are pretty cool about it.

We have had a few make suggestions at the next country and what to try out if we have not already tried it.

Ditto to that. We have done that quite a few times now. Lots of fun and most of the cast members figure out what you are doing and they are pretty cool about it.

We have had a few make suggestions at the next country and what to try out if we have not already tried it.

Beware of the new bar at Mexico, dubbed "Mission Tequila" by some crazy DIS friends. It can be quite the wicked diversion if done too early in the adventure.

P.S. Darcy - "Walkahol"? :rotfl: Oh man I'll remember that night for quite some time. Fortunately (or not?) it was a sober one for me. ;)

Beware of the new bar at Mexico, dubbed "Mission Tequila" by some crazy DIS friends. It can be quite the wicked diversion if done too early in the adventure.

P.S. Darcy - "Walkahol"? :rotfl: Oh man I'll remember that night for quite some time. Fortunately (or not?) it was a sober one for me. ;)

I didn't invent the word my dear, but that WAS a great night. Lots of fun.

Everyone has their bag. Some like go to to Nascar races, some like to go to gun shows, others like to RV, and on and on. Thats how I try to explain to people who don't understand my love of Disney. I am sure you have all heard you are going there again? type of comments. I just say yep. They usually shake their heads but I don't care. Everytime I go to Disney I have a wonderful magical time. And without kids. Go figure. :rotfl:

I just finished reading the thread and had to chime in too... Not only do I have a Disney obsession, I also look a lot younger than I actually am. I'm 29 but easily pass for 21 (or under). I am a health care professional with a master's degree. I actually get more flack for looking really young than I do for my Disney obsession. I do get funny looks sometimes with my Disney clothes and purses (I'm a sucker for a new Disney purse), but I ignore them.

Fortunately, all of my family and most of my co-workers know about and understand my Disney obsession so I don't have too much explaining to do. When meeting new people, I'm actually introduced as "the one who loves Disney." I've also found that Disney serves as a great conversation starter with new people as everyone has had some sort of contact with Disney - if not the parks, then movies or TV.

Disney is my escape. I can go to the parks and not have to worry about the stresses of my life. I can watch the movies and cartoons and forget about what's bothering me. I can log on to the Dis and live vicariously through other people's trips. Disney is just something that works for me!

Having just returned from Disney I think its a whole different sort of fun as an adult. Disney is great as an adult, good way to get away from the stress of life.

I haven't been on the boards in a few days but I've been catching up on reading all of your replies and thanks to everyone for replying.
I like reading what you have to say. :)

@ Tinkerella Congrats on being Cancer free for 10 years! :)

@ smi727
I look younger as well. I'm 25 but people seem to think I'm 14! So I guess when people don't know me, they do not give me a second glance. To them I'm probably a kid just buying an animated dvd or something. It's just the people who know my age that are weirded out by it.

@ Auntie L That's true it's better to do what makes you happy, I've spent a lot of my life doing that, but I've realized when you please others you're not making yourself happy.

How odd that this is such a common reaction. I'm 31, my wife is 28, we've been Disney fans for years, and I don't think I've ever had anyone react negatively when they find out. In fact, we run a "Disney for Adults" website (that we're currently revamping) and put together a lot of Disney-related videos on YouTube.

When people find out about our "obsession", they don't respond by saying that we're too old, but rather that they think it's cool and they're jealous that they can't go to Disneyland all the time :).

We're very open about it.. perhaps it's in the way we present it.. I dunno..

Hi all,
I love this thread. I have been going to WDW since it opened. Every year it gets better and better; I never really do the same things on each visit.
When I get the "eye roll" when I tell people I am going to Disney my first thing to say is that everything is extremely well done; you know you are going to get excellence, and everything is really FUN and exciting. Most of the time I believe people think it is too expensive (and so they are really jealous). It is what you make of it and to continue to go back is a guaranteed good time; not everyone can say that about their vacations!!
Magic to you all......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter