Being an adult and liking Disney...

Hello everyone,

I often tell people that Disney is my 'happy place'. The place that, for a time, I can forget about the worries of everyday life and concentrate on how the mundane has become magical. Talking trashcans, monorails, storm troopers walking the street.. well, you know what I am talking about.

Don't give up (or give in) to the opinions of others. If Disney is your happy place, if it fills you up and wraps you in a warm hug, makes you smile and cuddles you close when you sleep at night, then you are a lucky person. You have found something that others may never find.

Cherish it...

Spread it if you can...

and above all, enjoy it..

Everyone deserves a happy place..

:angel:

I just finished reading the thread and had to chime in too... Not only do I have a Disney obsession, I also look a lot younger than I actually am. I'm 29 but easily pass for 21 (or under). I am a health care professional with a master's degree. I actually get more flack for looking really young than I do for my Disney obsession. I do get funny looks sometimes with my Disney clothes and purses (I'm a sucker for a new Disney purse), but I ignore them.

Fortunately, all of my family and most of my co-workers know about and understand my Disney obsession so I don't have too much explaining to do. When meeting new people, I'm actually introduced as "the one who loves Disney." I've also found that Disney serves as a great conversation starter with new people as everyone has had some sort of contact with Disney - if not the parks, then movies or TV.

Disney is my escape. I can go to the parks and not have to worry about the stresses of my life. I can watch the movies and cartoons and forget about what's bothering me. I can log on to the Dis and live vicariously through other people's trips. Disney is just something that works for me!

It's the same for me. I get more question about my age than Disney.

Maybe it helps that I'm an art teacher and my classroom is all Disney. I've met with so many parents looking for advice on upcoming trips. I actually set up a vacation with a family (who have now become great friends) My students love to look at my latest trip pictures, they ask me about anything that might be new at the parks, etc.

Family and friends will refer me to people who have questions about their own trip.

I am an adult who LOVES Disney. My mom used to joke with me that I should get the Disney logo tattooed on my behind because she said I was made by them! I like the idea.
When I told my parents we were going to Disney again this year (we went last year for our honeymoon as a gift from my parents) my mom was curious why we would spend all that money. I told her that she and my dad spend money on little weekend trips and concerts and that this is what me and my DH like to spend money on. To me I would rather toil away at work for a whole year with no break knowing I was going to Disney. Those who think I am too old I don't care!

I love love love Florida and Disney! If I had the money and someone to go with I'd go every year to WDW!

Having just returned from Disney I think its a whole different sort of fun as an adult. Disney is great as an adult, good way to get away from the stress of life.

the movies have different meaning when you're an adult from a child I think...
I recently watched Fox and the Hound again after several years and got choked up in the middle of it I never remember finding it upsetting when I was a child though!

I just always tell people that WDW is the best kept adult playground secret ever. . .lol.

I am no longer a park commando. I can go to my resort of choice (depending on budget) and spend all day in the pool and using the amenities. The idea that I am in Disney makes me a happy camper.

I just always tell people that WDW is the best kept adult playground secret ever. . .lol.

I am no longer a park commando. I can go to my resort of choice (depending on budget) and spend all day in the pool and using the amenities. The idea that I am in Disney makes me a happy camper.

I couldn't agree with you more on both points Darcy!

Thanks Mike. . .

i agree as well nurse darcy! i live a little over an hour away, but i have got to say that the biggest JOY and INDULGENCE in my life is to suddenly feel like a parade and an ice cream cone, and to drop everything and hop in the car! what a gift !!

welcome to florida, nurse darcy, and i am sure we will be meeting face to face soon !!

i agree as well nurse darcy! i live a little over an hour away, but i have got to say that the biggest JOY and INDULGENCE in my life is to suddenly feel like a parade and an ice cream cone, and to drop everything and hop in the car! what a gift !!

welcome to florida, nurse darcy, and i am sure we will be meeting face to face soon !!

Thanks Gracie. . .I can't wait. Been wanting to move here for some time. My best friends all live here and I needed a reason. Got one now.

I am going to Disney World to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary. My friends all think I am "nuts". But you know what? I really don't care. I love going there and enjoying the place, DH and I go every year and just have fun. We have a lot harder time getting around now, but with planning and taking it at a slower pace we get to do what we want and still rest. As for the cost, we save all year and have the time of our lives. I really think we are "Kids" at heart. DH is a young 72 and I am a young 68. I tell everyone we eat, drink and are happy. Can't wait till September. Going to enjoy.

*Note* If there is a thread like this I apologize, I didn't go through all the threads on this forum. If you need to close this post go ahead.

So I had something happen recently and I know I'm not alone on this. How many of you have had someone tell you, you are too old to like Disney and they weren't just joking with you.

Okay I recently bought the Barbie and Ken set from Toy Story 3 and then I told some people (which I should have just kept my mouth shut) and their reactions were "Aren't you a little old to be playing with toys?" and "Isn't Disney for children, little children?" and "How embarassing for you." Keep in mind I have not played with toys in a long time (I'm 25 BTW). My Barbie and Ken set are still in the box and on a shelf, like a collectible. I'm not mad I just get tired of hearing people say "You're too old for Disney" , ect. Everybody has something in their lives that they enjoy so what if mine is Disney.

So basically I'm just wondering if anyone else gets weird reactions to liking Disney and being an adult.

I have a huge shelf above my entertainment center with all the toys from toy story. Minus Bullseye. I have yet to find him. Don't feel so bad.

What I, as an adult, like about Disney is there is something for everyone.

I personally dont drink, but for those that do, you have EXCELLENT clubs, dining options, bars etc. If you like to Golf, there are world class golf courses on property for very decent rates imho. One of the things that people miss is the out of this world Bass fishing! 10 years ago the only people fishing at WDW were us crazy fort wilderness folk :rolleyes1. Now you can fish at the Boardwalk...who knew!

I have no problem telling people that I'm going to WDW again. When they say "do you go anywhere else"...yep all the time, but we try to go to WDW at least 2 or 3 times a year. (travelling is in my blood)

As they said above, you cant choose to grow old, but you can choose when to act like a child (albeit a mature child :cool2: )

Clint
24 & Married (both disney freaks)

I'm heading to WDW to celebrate my 60th birthday in just 10 days.:banana:
A few of my friends and relatives questioned me when they found out what I was doing. Questions like: You've already been to WDW 4x this year and how could I spend "the big 60" in a place for kids.
Part of the beauty of getting old is that you don't feel obligated to explain yourself anymore. I feel if they ask me why in the first place then they wouldn't understand an answer. It's better to let them think what they will with quiet resolve.
I'm going back to my happy place:hippie:

Happy camper is right!! There's nothing I lover better than hanging around Fort Wilderness and looping on the golf cart!!! Drinks are a lot cheaper from my camper fridge than from the parks, but I do love drinking around World Showcase and trolling the F&W festival booths!!

The extent of our schedule may be a dinner reservation somewhere, then fireworks, then a stroll on whatever walkway is nearby.

That is our Disney trips now.

DebºoºS;37533185 said:
I'm heading to WDW to celebrate my 60th birthday in just 10 days.:banana:
A few of my friends and relatives questioned me when they found out what I was doing. Questions like: You've already been to WDW 4x this year and how could I spend "the big 60" in a place for kids.
Part of the beauty of getting old is that you don't feel obligated to explain yourself anymore. I feel if they ask me why in the first place then they wouldn't understand an answer. It's better to let them think what they will with quiet resolve.
I'm going back to my happy place:hippie:

Well, Happy Birthday. Wish I could have spent my 40th there, which was this past Sunday. I did however get a huge Pooh Bear as a gift. Someone in my apartment complex didn't believe me that the Pooh Bear was given to me and thought I surely had to be bringing him for a kid's birthday party. Their loss. It really is too bad that people feel like just because the calendar says they're older, they can't act like a kid at times. :sad2: Just sad really.

I get asked every time I take any kind of Disney trip, didn't you already do that? :rolleyes: As if! you can't ever "just do Disney"

1-2.jpg

Yup these are ALL mine! I am 25 years old and yes i do collect disney pook a looz! I also LOVE Disney! I always get the "gosh Disney again?" but i dont care, going there makes me happy and as long as it does ill go!

That's exactly what it is! People who haven't been think it's just a place for children to ride teacups and hug people dressed in Mickey Mouse costumes. And if you get all your information from the commercials they show on TV, that's understandable. But it's so much more than that.

We change it up every once in awhile. Sometimes taking it slow with some ice cream watching a parade, and other times seeing how many times we can ride California Screamin' in a single hour. :)

I have a huge shelf above my entertainment center with all the toys from toy story. Minus Bullseye. I have yet to find him.

I'm in Arizona, and they have him at the Disney Stores in the mall, in various sizes too. If you don't have a Disney Store in your area, you could try their website. It's a bit pricey there ($59.50) and takes six weeks to ship.

If you'd like, I can pick one up for you locally (I think we paid $16 for ours) and ship it to you. If you're interested, PM me and maybe we can work out details via PayPal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!