Being asked to show scars at security... Thoughts?

VeggieFruitFruit

Earning My Ears
So my mom has had both knees replaced. Each time she goes through security, she always forewarns them so that they will know why the metal detector goes off. The metal detectors have lights that indicate the location of the metal that is setting off the device. In my mom's case, it lights up at the knees, as it should. Usually, they'll just wave her through. Sometimes they will use the wand over her knee areas to confirm.

Twice now, when going through security at the International Gateway at Epcot, a security guard has asked her to lift her pants to show them her scars. The first time it happened, she was so taken aback at being asked, that she blindly complied. And she was upset afterwards. The second time it happened, she declined and (appearing annoyed) they said, "well then we'll have to wand you," to which she replied that she was fine with that.

It seems inappropriate to me to ask someone to lift a portion of their clothing in order to show scars as a proof of an orthopedic implant. I understand that some may perceive it as no big deal, because they are "just knees." But, if a person had a hip replacement, or screws in their upper thigh, would they be asked to lower their pants? Shouldn't the default be to use the wand?

This hasn't been an issue anywhere other than the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. Our DVC "home" is at Boardwalk, so this is our primary way of entering the park.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there to see what others think of this. Does this seem inappropriate to you? Should security be asking to see people's scars? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for your feedback!

I Have screws and rods in my back, and never once have I been asked to show my scars.. even through TSA. it sounds like they have very over zealous with their job. I dont even tell Disney security, if the alarm goes off, then we can chat . Until then , they dont need to know..

This needs to be addressed with Upper management !

that makes zero sense since wanding is faster and a whole lot less invasive. I'd have to basically take my pants/shorts off to show my hip replacement scar

I would definitely email Disney about this and let them know around what time of day this happened so they can make sure to address this appropriately. I’ve never heard of this happening at Disney or anywhere else. My father is an ex rugby player and thus half metal at this point. He always sets off the alarms but they wand him and he’s fine.

My son has had titanium rods and screws in his back for 12 years. He has never set off a metal detector.

So... I can kinda see it another way. Your mum has 1-2lbs of steel in each knee. When the detector hits on this it is telling them there is a lot of metal there. They tighten and loosen security from one hour to the next based on a lot of things so there will be some times where that kind of detector hit just has to be resolved.

How can we resolve the situation? Security can rub mom's legs down. They can use a wand. Or they can visualy corroborate the surgery. Why not just default to the wand? Maybe it's already in use. Maybe that particular security agent is not certified. For whatever reason it may have just been a much faster option to have a look see. The officer may have incorrectly assumed that your mother would rather get through the line in the fastest manner possible.

As you say, the majority of the time the scanner beeps and mom explains and they wave her through. And when she did balk at showing her knees, it didn't sound like it bothered them any. It sounds to me like they were just trying to get everyone through as quickly as possible. Maybe they could have explained the situation better so your mom would not have felt pressured into revealing those knees, but I wouldn't jump to assume nefarious intentions on the officers part.

So my mom has had both knees replaced. Each time she goes through security, she always forewarns them so that they will know why the metal detector goes off. The metal detectors have lights that indicate the location of the metal that is setting off the device. In my mom's case, it lights up at the knees, as it should. Usually, they'll just wave her through. Sometimes they will use the wand over her knee areas to confirm.

Twice now, when going through security at the International Gateway at Epcot, a security guard has asked her to lift her pants to show them her scars. The first time it happened, she was so taken aback at being asked, that she blindly complied. And she was upset afterwards. The second time it happened, she declined and (appearing annoyed) they said, "well then we'll have to wand you," to which she replied that she was fine with that.

It seems inappropriate to me to ask someone to lift a portion of their clothing in order to show scars as a proof of an orthopedic implant. I understand that some may perceive it as no big deal, because they are "just knees." But, if a person had a hip replacement, or screws in their upper thigh, would they be asked to lower their pants? Shouldn't the default be to use the wand?

This hasn't been an issue anywhere other than the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. Our DVC "home" is at Boardwalk, so this is our primary way of entering the park.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there to see what others think of this. Does this seem inappropriate to you? Should security be asking to see people's scars? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for your feedback!

If you are still at WDW, I would work directly with Guest Relations (either inside or outside the Parks, or even at Disney Springs) and you can also call Disney's Disability Services at (407) 560-2547, and also contact the Special Needs team at (407) 939-7807

How can we resolve the situation? Security can rub mom's legs down. They can use a wand. Or they can visualy corroborate the surgery. Why not just default to the wand? Maybe it's already in use. Maybe that particular security agent is not certified. For whatever reason it may have just been a much faster option to have a look see.

Do you still see it as appropriate in a hip replacement surgery?

I surely don't. I understand your point, but security should not have been so invasive.

I have a titanium plate with screws in my ankle. It rarely makes any kind of metal detector go off. When it does via The TSA,I point to my ankle and let them feel up my ankle and wand me.

First of all, I wonder if Disney has their sensitivity cranked up. Secondly, oh heck no. No Disney security person is going to look at my scars or touch me. Wand me if you like, but I draw the line at Disney security pretending they are the TSA.

I'd like to think that I would have responded with, "Show me yours first."

My mom had several screws put into her spine and was told by her doctors to carry a card that they gave whenever she traveled. It showed the location of the screws. She was told to show it to security whenever she set off the metal detector. Are those kind of things not used anymore? Or are they just one more thing that can be faked via the internet?

Well I am on the minority, but no this does not bother me. You can always ask for a private room or an agent of the same gender if it feels immodest.

its been a couple of years for me at Disney. but I was at Universal( during Matthew which was allll sorts of fun) and we went through security at the boat dock. there was ZERO private area and every time all 3 guards were menfolk. no way whatsoever am I gonna waste 20 or 30 minutes or more waiting for either a female guard or for them to erect some sort if privacy screen. IIRC the security areas at Disney are also right out in the open.

it's bad enough that I have to wait for a Female TSA agent to wand my hip when it goes off. I will say I have made it as easy as possible. I wear non bulky pants/skirts or an easy flowing dress, with no pockets. I also warn them up front.

You should bring it up to security. This is something they need to train the local folks on.

Central Florida is home to a myriad of active senior communities which means lots of pickleball, golf, softball and knee surgery. Showing off knee scars is as popular as showing off grandchildren pictures. I’m sure the security guy didn’t think twice about asking to see the scar because here lots of folks are proud of them. That’s not a universal thing. They should know the rest of the world isn’t interested in showing off knee scars.

When my husband has his shoulder replaced, he was given a card from the hospital

Well I am on the minority, but no this does not bother me. You can always ask for a private room or an agent of the same gender if it feels immodest.
Like every WDW security area has unoccupied private rooms and agents of the same gender standing by for the occasion...And like the extra time this would take wouldn't completely disrupt your day if you were arriving for rope drop, or were trying to make an ADR or FP. I mean, it's not like WDW is a place where guests often feel the need to schedule their activities carefully in advance...And that's not even getting into the issue about this woman's personal dignity.

There's good reason why the majority of posters agree this was out of bounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter