Being asked to show scars at security... Thoughts?

Do you still see it as appropriate in a hip replacement surgery?

I surely don't. I understand your point, but security should not have been so invasive.

I don't imagine this sort of request would be made if it required more significant disrobement. But security guy sees an adult in loose fitting pants and can get them through with a 2 second glance at her knees ... I can see why they would make the offer. To be sure, it should have been better explained as an option, but the alternatives are all things that would slow the line down I can see them just figuring that anyone who feels strongly about it would just say no.

Thank you everyone for your replies. It's reassuring to know that others feel that it was out of line.

The first time it happened, we did report it to the head of security at Epcot. He took down my mom's information (name, hotel, room number, date of departure), but then we never heard anything back. (I'm assuming he was a bit distracted because it was a couple of days before a big marathon weekend). He did say that he would follow up with the guard. I'm not sure if he did or not, because it happened again.

My mom is going to make a written complaint this time.

Re: Cobright - I'm not sure that lifting one's pants is "faster" than the wand. In any case, "lift your pants and show me your scars" feels quite invasive, even if the intent is benign.

Thank you again for your responses everyone!

Most metal implants are titanium, which is a non-ferrous metal. Titanium is non-magnetic as well. It does not usually set off metal detectors.

Pfft...my mom had a knee replacement and she would be DELIGHTED if security asked to see her scars. She shows them off to anyone and everyone, unprompted. Sometimes, she will give a courtesy of asking "do you want to see my scar?", before she lifts her pants leg, but most of the time, no. She likes to talk about her medical issues to anyone who will listen, and show her various scars and wounds as well.

My mom...:rolleyes1

Pfft...my mom had a knee replacement and she would be DELIGHTED if security asked to see her scars. She shows them off to anyone and everyone, unprompted. Sometimes, she will give a courtesy of asking "do you want to see my scar?", before she lifts her pants leg, but most of the time, no. She likes to talk about her medical issues to anyone who will listen, and show her various scars and wounds as well.

My mom...:rolleyes1

That's hilarious!!! You and I have the same mom!

While it wouldn't bother me, I can see how some might find it intrusive. Seems like you just got bored or over zealous guards. I have seen them ask people if they can get out of the wheel chair and walk through the detectors and if they say no, they just wand them.

I'm a nurse and when we fly together she tells them I have to preboard with her because "she's my nurse and I need her with me." I just hang my head in shame. :rolleyes:

Oh, you poor thing. My mom uses preboarding too, and wheelchair assistance through the airport, because she's "disabled"...because she had a knee replacement surgery 5 years ago.

She likes the attention. Sigh.

Oh, you poor thing. My mom uses preboarding too, and wheelchair assistance through the airport, because she's "disabled"...because she had a knee replacement surgery 5 years ago.

She likes the attention. Sigh.

Yep. Pretty sure we're sisters!

I dunno about most ladies, but Ain't no way I can lift my pants leg over my knee enough to show a scar. if I am in a skirt or shorts, that's one thing. but pants?! nu uh.

When my husband has his shoulder replaced, he was given a card from the hospital
I know. My parents both have cards for metal in their bodies. If you are going to go somewhere that you know had metal detectors, why wouldn’t you carry that? It’s absurd to expect security to just trust you when you say you have had XYZ surgery. Formally hey know you have a weapon of some sort strapped to you under your clothes.

Once I went through security at Orlando airport and was wearing shorts - my entire knee area was visible. I went through the scanner and a female came up and felt all around my knee with her gloves hands. I have no scars or implants or anything. I have no idea what happened to get my knee felt up but it was very odd since it was completely visable

Asking to see scars is out of line, in my opinion. However, I have never seen them pat anyone down, and I personally feel that is safer than using a wand. So you say you have metal in your ankle and the wand alerts there. Could be that it's actually a weapon.

Perhaps they don't do pat downs due to the potential for lawsuits. I can imagine the nutcases coming out of the woodwork to swear they were groped.

My son has a titanium leg on the left, pins and plates on right ankle, and four titanium plates in his head. He sets off the metal detector about 20% of the time. He gets put through the metal detector 100% of the time, even when they are "randomly" choosing people. I understand why he gets chosen, and so does he. We are not offended by that. He is 29, has PTSD and a TBI. He doesn't make eye contact and appears very nervous, because he is. He also often enters the parks alone. He understands that he fits the profile and Disney is just doing their best to keep us all safe.

Even so, if he were asked to lift his pant legs, he would be very uncomfortable. That may very well set his anxiety over the edge and make him done for the day. He would not mind being patted down. When I read this thread, I shared it with him just so he may be prepared in the future. Thank you @VeggieFruitFruit for sharing your experience. It's extremely helpful for us, and likely many others, to be prepared ahead of time for this to possibly happen.

Like every WDW security area has unoccupied private rooms and agents of the same gender standing by for the occasion...And like the extra time this would take wouldn't completely disrupt your day if you were arriving for rope drop, or were trying to make an ADR or FP. I mean, it's not like WDW is a place where guests often feel the need to schedule their activities carefully in advance...And that's not even getting into the issue about this woman's personal dignity.

There's good reason why the majority of posters agree this was out of bounds.

Security is sometimes a hassle. I'm okay with that. It Would be naive to deny that Disney is a rich target for people bent on inflicting terror. Someone asking (not demanding by the way) to see knees is not that big of a deal.

I think everyone recognises and greatly appreciates the need for security at somewhere like Disney and that isn’t the issue here.

It doesn’t seem to happen anywhere else at Disney, just this one park entrance, so it isn’t an operational policy. It’s inconsistent and potentially distressing. What if you’re wearing something that isn’t easily rolled up to the knee? What do they do to comply with (their own, it seems) security procedure then? Why only knees? Why not hips and spine pins and everything else that could be replaced?

Do you still see it as appropriate in a hip replacement surgery?

I surely don't. I understand your point, but security should not have been so invasive.

I have newly acquired titanium clamps in my abdomen, thanks to having my gall bladder removed. When I flew shortly after, they did wand that area, and give it a little pat. No biggie. But I wouldn't appreciate being told to lift my shirt up and lower my pants so they could view all of the scars.

Thank you everyone for your replies. It's reassuring to know that others feel that it was out of line.

The first time it happened, we did report it to the head of security at Epcot. He took down my mom's information (name, hotel, room number, date of departure), but then we never heard anything back. (I'm assuming he was a bit distracted because it was a couple of days before a big marathon weekend). He did say that he would follow up with the guard. I'm not sure if he did or not, because it happened again.

My mom is going to make a written complaint this time.

Re: Cobright - I'm not sure that lifting one's pants is "faster" than the wand. In any case, "lift your pants and show me your scars" feels quite invasive, even if the intent is benign.

Thank you again for your responses everyone!

Most metal implants are titanium, which is a non-ferrous metal. Titanium is non-magnetic as well. It does not usually set off metal detectors.
Whether or not titanium sets off the metal detector depends on the type of metal detector, so an implant that sets off one might not set another.
https://www.verywell.com/will-a-metal-implant-set-off-metal-detectors-2549530

It would make sense to tell the guest, “I can either use the wand or you can show me your scar. Which would you prefer?”
It would also make sense to look at the scars if the guest offers.
But, to go straight to “show me your scar” doesn’t make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter