Being Canadian on DIS

To be honest, as a sportsball fan I’ve no issue showing which teams I support. And I think other sports fans get it. You might get some good natured ribbing over it, but that’s about all.

I’ll probably be packing a Jays cap, an Expos cap and a “We The North” shirt for certain. Would wear my Houston Texans jersey as well but that thing is not breathable (thanks Nike).
Then we will wear our Canada 150 hats not a team, just a whole big country.

Okay, should we wear our Blue Jays or Raptors hats or not. When we went last year some people were really super enthusiastic about Canada, but there were a few that were kind of negative about us, is it better to just blend in and pretend to be American. We never seem to meet any Canucks when we are there.
NO, we never want to blend in and pretend we are anything other than very proud Canucks! We don't go whole hog and flaunt the fact but i do wear a Canadian flag on my backpack -- but that is there ALL THE TIME -- I wear shirts with some Canadian flare on occasion, but again, that's just part of my normal casual attire. We proudly wore the Canadian 150 pin that we picked up in EPCOT for our entire trip, i wore it during the month of July and it is now displayed on my bulletin board in front of my desk. We were in Disney immediately after the soldier was shot on Parliament Hill and during that 2 week trip we wore poppies attached to our clothes with a small CDN flag pin as a way to honour his memory. I'm always surprised how many CDNs we meet, even bumped into the odd CM who have moved south and work there now.

***we always seem to get noticed as CDN by our liberal use of the "I'm sorry", asking for pop instead of soda, wanting vinegar for fries and wearing considerably less clothing than others do during winter visits :P

You might get a kick out of reading this thread:

Funny things that CDNs say/do at Disney that make Americans go huh

I have a bunch of Blue Jays shirts I've worn to both DL and WDW and never got any negative comments. I have one that says "This girl loves Disney and her Toronto Blue Jays" that I'm quite fond of!

Last edited:
Okay, should we wear our Blue Jays or Raptors hats or not. When we went last year some people were really super enthusiastic about Canada, but there were a few that were kind of negative about us, is it better to just blend in and pretend to be American. We never seem to meet any Canucks when we are there.

Always wear a blue jays hat, it's like an international "i'm canadian" beacon. I'll wear raptors shirts but always a jays hat, last trip brought a blue one and the Canada day red one.

NO, we never want to blend in and pretend we are anything other than very proud Canucks! We don't go whole hog and flaunt the fact but i do wear a Canadian flag on my backpack -- but that is there ALL THE TIME -- I wear shirts with some Canadian flare on occasion, but again, that's just part of my normal casual attire. We proudly wore the Canadian 150 pin that we picked up in EPCOT for our entire trip, i wore it during the month of July and it is now displayed on my bulletin board in front of my desk. We were in Disney immediately after the soldier was shot on Parliament Hill and during that 2 week trip we wore poppies attached to our clothes with a small CDN flag pin as a way to honour his memory. I'm always surprised how many CDNs we meet, even bumped into the odd CM who have moved south and work there now.

***we always seem to get noticed as CDN by our liberal use of the "I'm sorry", asking for pop instead of soda, wanting vinegar for fries and wearing considerably less clothing than others do during winter visits :P

You might get a kick out of reading this thread:

Funny things that CDNs say/do at Disney that make Americans go huh

Yup, first time my wife and I went in Dec 09 we went to the water park and we were in our swim suits with our towels and people around us were giving us crazy eyes. It was a gorgeous 20 degrees out and we had the water park almost all to ourselves, it was glorious.

Wow, how is everybody dealikng with this ice storm. As long as I can wear something other than my sorels and polar fleece I will be happy! I have my Canada hat and my 6ix hat and we are looking forward to some warm weather. The last time we went there was a very crazy American and he was going on about Canadians and Mexicans, he was insulting all kinds of people. But most people were very friendly and most people are there to have a good time. Just wondering if anybody else had encountered anything like that.

Wow, how is everybody dealikng with this ice storm. As long as I can wear something other than my sorels and polar fleece I will be happy!
Well, I think we've confirmed that Canada is part of Westeros, as winter came, and apparently isn't leaving for a few years.

The last time we went there was a very crazy American and he was going on about Canadians and Mexicans, he was insulting all kinds of people. But most people were very friendly and most people are there to have a good time. Just wondering if anybody else had encountered anything like that.
You do encounter folks like that here and there. It's mostly people trying to draw attention to themselves so it's honestly best to ignore them if you can.

Well, I think we've confirmed that Canada is part of Westeros, as winter came, and apparently isn't leaving for a few years.

You do encounter folks like that here and there. It's mostly people trying to draw attention to themselves so it's honestly best to ignore them if you can.

LOL!! I thought Winter Was Leaving!!!

Wow, how is everybody dealikng with this ice storm. As long as I can wear something other than my sorels and polar fleece I will be happy! I have my Canada hat and my 6ix hat and we are looking forward to some warm weather. The last time we went there was a very crazy American and he was going on about Canadians and Mexicans, he was insulting all kinds of people. But most people were very friendly and most people are there to have a good time. Just wondering if anybody else had encountered anything like that.
I was thinking we needed to do one of those "Safe Check-ins" that Facebook has .... I could say that it took 40 minutes to chisel the car off before i could even attempt to move it, but we're safe now :P

We've encountered loud-mouth buffoons everywhere but i think the WORST i had was a family getting off the UP Express with me at Union Station last summer. They talked very loudly the entire trip about how wonderful it was to be able to come and "fleece those stupid Canadians" because they had just figured out the value of their dollar. If you've never traveled that route you'll know that it is a fairly decent trek into Union Station proper and quite the maze with the never-ending construction so i thought I'd be nice and offer to help them find their way to the TTC so they could find their hotel. The oldest male in the group asked me if I was American and under my breath i muttered "North American yes" and told him that no, I live in Ontario and could help them out. He turned his back and grabbed one of the little ones by the arm and marched off (in the wrong direction) while very loudly telling everyone in his group "Don't talk to the Canadian, we can figure this out ourselves, they're stupid"

We saw a lot of bad behaviour on our last trip actually, I was pretty shocked by some of it. It was not directed at us but it was so amazing that people could say and behave the way they did especially around children. The funny thing was that it was always adults behaving badly.

I have to say that in all my trips to the USA I never had any stupid comments made to me or my family for being Canadian, for having a French accent or making mistakes (English is our second language). In fact, the only times I got derogatory comments were from Canadians because we are from Quebec. :(

I have to say that in all my trips to the USA I never had any stupid comments made to me or my family for being Canadian, for having a French accent or making mistakes (English is our second language). In fact, the only times I got derogatory comments were from Canadians because we are from Quebec. :(
I totally know that feeling.

One time, I was in line for Mickey Bars in HS. This was when the dollar was quite close to par. A guy in front of me was yelling at the CM because the CM wouldn't take the CAD quarter. He claimed he'd gotten it as change from one of the machines and the CM should take it because Disney was trying to rip him off. I fished out a USD quarter and said I'd buy it off him. He was stunned, but accepted (no thanks, but silence) and moved on. It's a quarter. But anyway, I did my good deed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter