Best DVC resort for Resort Only Stay?

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
What are your favorite DVC resorts for a resort-only or limited parks stay? Would your opinion change if dining and amenities were limited in some way? (ie. restaurants not open, pools unavailable)
We have two kids, DS14 and DD12. I have some thoughts but interested in what others think.

My answer definitely changes if pools and onsite restaurants are closed.

If hotel pools and restaurants are open, BCV is my favorite.

If hotel pools and restaurants are closed, either OKW or HHI. OKW because there's room to bike and run, as well as the path to Disney Springs and it has the nicest rooms. HHI because the rest of the island should be open for food and entertainment needs.

Family vacation just to relax and not do any parks
HHI: Plenty of activities, the beach, lots of great restaurants, best CMs of any resort
VB: Similar to HHI but lacks the variety of activities in and around VB itself. Ditto for food. You can walk 5-10 minutes to numerous good restaurants at HHI--VB not so much. But, it does have the beach right there.

Family vacation for limited park visits
Truly, each has its own appeal. Either BWV or BCV have the advantage of being able to walk to two parks. Many good restaurants available. AKL has the savannah and the animals, as well as two of the best restaurants on property in Sanaa and Jiko. SSR = walking to Disney Springs and all it has to offer. It also has a golf course.

Have you considered a split stay? Maybe starting out at Animal Kingdom (animals) & then switch to Saratoga (close to Disney Springs) and you can walk.
A split stay is definitely on the table. We own at AKV so we currently have a reservation booked at Jambo for 1 + 6 nights (in case we want to try for a switch at 7 months). But I’m debating whether to move it entirely given the current situation, keep it at Jambo or try a split at resorts that would be good in case the parks are less of a factor. For our last trip we did a split stay between Poly and BCV, and we really enjoyed it.

In my opinion, I would think if not going to the parks, it would provide more variety. You would have new things to explore. Wilderness Lodge may be an option too. That's if you like nature with the woods and lake We stayed there & seen trails & such. Maybe they will have stable open for riding? We did not hang around much as we were at the parks! But it was very pretty. There is fishing too, I believe, Don't quote me on that.

Wilderness Lodge is beautiful, and it's our home resort so, of course, I'd recommend it. However, if I'm honest, they've reduced how much "wilderness" there is there now. The trails are gone: (1) the nature trail disappeared three or so years ago when they put in the Copper Creek cabins; (2) the paved bike path to Ft Wilderness is closed until further notice due to construction on the newest resort, Reflections; (3) no bike rentals since no trails; (4) you can rent a boat or charter a fishing tour, but both of those cost money; (5) unsure of what FW provides in terms of outdoor entertainment, such as the horse rides--I think they may have a petting area still. Getting there is the issue since you can no longer walk or bike--you can take a boat or a bus, though.

In short, you can swim, play in the arcade, and stroll the grounds which are lovely. There are the usual family activities such as movie night, s'mores, and board games. Beyond that, not much else left to capture the imagination if you don't head to a park.

I'd vote for Beach Club, Boardwalk, and then Kidani.

The BCV for their pool, sand beach area, and a short walk to the boardwalk for night entertainment.

BWV for the atmosphere of the boardwalk, pool is slightly better than average for DVC resort IMO, and their community hall is my favorite of the DVC community halls.

Kidani for their pools and wildlife viewing.

When we did a resort only stay for a few days before moving to Universal for a Harry Potter trip, we stayed at the Beach Club. Some of our kids were about the ages of your kids (10, 11, 13, 15, 18 at the time) and the location was perfect. Of course the pool was fantastic, plus we had the Boardwalk entertainment at night. We rented those multi-person bicycles and rode around the lake, plus we rented the pontoon boat as well as some speedboats. One day, we took the bus to MK and monorailed to some resorts for sightseeing and food. I think we also took the boat to the Wilderness Lodge. Bottom line is that the BC was a really good location for a resort only, family stay.

If most resort restaurants are open, I would lean toward one of the Animal Kingdom resorts. In my opinion, they have the best restaurants on property! Not to mention a savanna to look at :) If resort restaurants were impacted/limited significantly, I would lean toward Saratoga so you could walk to Disney Springs!

My top favorites are: Animal Kingdom, Cooper Creek/Boulder Ridge, Aulani, Polynesian, Boardwalk, Key West, Bay Lake, and the rest are fine as well.

We do short stays at SSR (1 or 2 nights) then go to Port Canaveral and cruise on DCL. SSR is quiet, not very crowded because the buildings are far apart, and it's close to DS. Lots of great places to eat at DS and entertainment also as noted by @Shellyred8. We can only take one day at a park then need to relax on the ship for about a week.

For no or limited parks, just like any other trip OKW is still the best for us.
I would vote OKW as well! I find the tropical theme to be relaxing and being far away from the hustle and bustle of the parks is relaxing. The most important factor for my family when we travel is having at least a one bedroom and OKW does not break the point-bank in that regard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter