Best/favorite Christmas resort?

ErikkFriberg

The Two and More
We are a ways out, but many for budget reasons we are starting to plan a “Xmas” trip for the week after Thanksgiving 2021. We are going to stay on property for the first time, which will cost quite a bit more than what we normally pay (hints the early budgeting). To get the best price, we want to book as soon as the dates are released.

What is your favorite or the best resort on property (both Disney owned and not) at Christmas? Why? (Maybe even give some tips or little know facts about the resort, especially Christmas ones)

This is completely a subjective question and that’s what I want...your opinion and why. I want to know what you like and what matters to you.

To get the best price, we want to book as soon as the dates are released.

I assume you mean you want to book a hotel as soon as the dates are released; if so, that ensures you have a room but does not mean you'll get a good price. Usually you'll pay rack rate when they first come out. So, if you know you absolutely want a specific hotel for a specific time and are willing to pay rack rate, then yes, snag a reservation. But, then, you'll want to monitor for discounts offered closer to time. There's no guarantee of discounts, but they aren't released til later in the year.

What is your favorite or the best resort on property (both Disney owned and not) at Christmas? Why? (Maybe even give some tips or little know facts about the resort, especially Christmas ones)

I've not stayed off property at Christmas time. The one on property I've picked the most is Port Orleans: French Quarter. I enjoy the decor and the music there, and it's a mod so you're not paying for a deluxe, and you get the boat to Disney Springs, which is also decorated for the season. I guess my biggest tip is that you don't need to be staying at a resort at Christmas to enjoy it. I tour all the resorts I'm interested in at Christmastime, and enjoy their holiday offerings that way.

BTW; Wilderness Lodge gets talked about a lot as people's fav at Christmas.

I've stayed at SSR, CSR and AKL at Christmas time and have visit almost all of the other deluxe resorts to see the decorations.

I have to say, my breath was taken away walking into the lobby at AKL. The tree there is amazing! It's also a fantastic hotel and tends to be the lowest priced deluxe.

SSR was very boring in terms of decorations but I quite liked CSR, I think they did a great job.

Wilderness Lodge is beautiful at Christmas and feels very festive with the huge fireplace and rocking chairs. GF is also impressive, but not my cup of tea as a place to stay.

We're going to be staying at POFQ this December and have watched some YouTube videos showing it at this time of year and it does look fab.

Wherever you stay, make sure to spend a bit of time visiting the other resorts if you can.

Have fun planning! :santa:

We stayed at the Poly during the holidays and I fell in love with the music they piped in. Hawaiian holiday music, some featuring the Honolulu boys choir. I found the album when I got home and a few of the songs are now in my regular holiday music rotation. I still get a nice feeling when I hear it.

I assume you mean you want to book a hotel as soon as the dates are released; if so, that ensures you have a room but does not mean you'll get a good price. Usually you'll pay rack rate when they first come out. So, if you know you absolutely want a specific hotel for a specific time and are willing to pay rack rate, then yes, snag a reservation. But, then, you'll want to monitor for discounts offered closer to time. There's no guarantee of discounts, but they aren't released til later in the year.

That exactly my plan...or at least let my Dreams Unlimited agent monitor prices. LOL (I will monitor it also)

Yes, my plan is to get the room early to get the room I want, and also be able to take care advantage of discounts as they come up. I will probably build a spread sheet to document, track, and compare discounts as they are release.

I’ve not stayed off property at Christmas time. The one on property I've picked the most is Port Orleans: French Quarter. I enjoy the decor and the music there, and it's a mod so you're not paying for a deluxe, and you get the boat to Disney Springs, which is also decorated for the season. I guess my biggest tip is that you don't need to be staying at a resort at Christmas to enjoy it. I tour all the resorts I'm interested in at Christmastime, and enjoy their holiday offerings that way.

BTW; Wilderness Lodge gets talked about a lot as people's fav at Christmas.
We have never stayed on property so, this will be a first and we want it to be special. Thank you for the information. We plan on going resort hopping, also.

...and thanks for the tip about Wilderness Lodge. It is noted!

I've stayed at SSR, CSR and AKL at Christmas time and have visit almost all of the other deluxe resorts to see the decorations.

I have to say, my breath was taken away walking into the lobby at AKL. The tree there is amazing! It's also a fantastic hotel and tends to be the lowest priced deluxe.
We're going to be staying at POFQ this December and have watched some YouTube videos showing it at this time of year and it does look fab.

Wherever you stay, make sure to spend a bit of time visiting the other resorts if you can.

Thank you for all the info!!! The AKL fireplace sounds GREAT!!!

We definitely plan on doing some resort hopping! We are going to plan about 4-5 days in the parks and 2-3 down days (no parks or the big 4), not including our travel days. We are actually looking at maybe doing maybe 5 nights on property and several more off property to tour other Orlando attractions.

We stayed at the Poly during the holidays and I fell in love with the music they piped in.
I love Polynesian culture, both traditional and modern, so this will definitely be a consideration. I love slack guitar, so the music...yeah...awesome!
Thank you!

We have only stayed at WL once during holiday time but loved it! The lobby has decorations and a tree along with the usual fireplace and rocking chairs and little stream or whatever it is called. We like the geyser in the back as well. It is an easy boat ride to MK and also FW and CR. One of our favorite breakfasts is at Whispering Canyon Cafe. We go there once every trip. Have never done it but people seem to enjoy the lunch and dinner.

Put me down for Wilderness lodge also. Like Pete said in one of his videos "it actually feels like christmas" when you are at the WL.

The decorations IMO are the best on property, and, for the first time ever this year, WL will have a Gingerbread Log Cabin in the lobby.

SSR was very boring in terms of decorations but I quite liked CSR, I think they did a great job.

Wilderness Lodge is beautiful at Christmas and feels very festive with the huge fireplace and rocking chairs. GF is also impressive, but not my cup of tea as a place to stay.

It's funny you mention POFQ as a favorite for a Holiday stay. It is mine as well. There is something very special about that lovely little resort, all gussied up in her Holiday decor. I love getting off a bus, and entering a sanctuary complete with soft jazzy holiday music playing in the background. I felt like I was returning home form a busy Holiday trek. Lovely!

OP I think that Beach Club is also a fine choice for a Holiday visit. All of the rooms are inside the resort, so you return thru the lobby, which is stunning in a relaxing way. There are so many activities in walking distance as well, so I always find the location convenient.

OP- I really would look at your budget and if a deluxe does not fall comfortable within it, look at POFQ. I woudl book that one over several deluxe resorts every time.

I, personally, think the best decorated resorts during Christmas are GF and WL. Of those two, we prefer WL at Christmas. It is so absolutely beautiful that I could probably sit in the lobby my entire trip and be very happy. It is in the style of the grand National Park lodges, so has a warm, Christmasy feel already. Add a gorgeous fireplace, a gigantic Christmas tree and other beautiful decorations and it's a Christmas wonderland. If WL is the route you take with your trip, I would look into WL, Copper Creek Villas and Boulder Ridge Villas as they are all at the WL resort. WL will have standard resort rooms, whereas CCV and BRV have villas with different layouts such as studios, 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom villas (the 1- and 2-bedroom villas have full kitchens and washer/dryers). They also have cabins at CCV that cost a fortune, but are gorgeous. WL will offer boat access to MK, plus bus access to all the other parks. There are tons of youtube videos that will show you WL at Christmas time plus the layouts of the various rooms and villas available at WL, CCV and BRV.

I've stayed at POFQ and AKL at Christmastime, and loved them both! Like others mentioned, the feel of POFQ is very fun (there was even a display in the lobby at POFQ of a staff gingerbread house competition) and the lobby tree at AKL is breathtaking!

Here are some more details:
Mini Trip Report - with Pics

I'd say, out of the others, that GF and WL are on my "maybe someday" wish list - GF for the gingerbread house and general decor, and WL for the "Christmas in a Nat'l Park" feel.

So it sounds like WL & AKL are favorites! Followed by GF and POFQ...so far. Regardless where we stay, we are excited to do some resort hopping and check out Downtown Disney Disney Springs. These resorts are really filling out that list.
My wife and I went to Orlando on out honeymoon (11/16/13 - 11/26/13) and for our anniversary last year (12/07/19), so Christmas at WDW is something need and dear to us. We plan on doing GF for out 25th anniversary...Victoria and Albert and the whole 9 yards. Park hopping isn't really anything that we have done so that is exciting...and during Christmas to boot!

Thank you guys!

OP- I really would look at your budget and if a deluxe does not fall comfortable within it, look at POFQ. I woudl book that one over several deluxe resorts every time.

Nancyg56, that is definitely something to consider! I may not of thought of that on my own, thank you.

Here are some more details:
Mini Trip Report - with Pics
PollyannaMom, I am looking forward to checking this out. I appreciate it. I was just thinking, "Maybe I can find some pictures in the forum here, oher than staged Disney Co. pictures." Now you have given me a place to start!!!

Nancyg56, that is definitely something to consider! I may not of thought of that on my own, thank you.

I hope that you know I was not trying to suggest something most people already know. I just don't want you to think that the best resorts for the Holidays are the Deluxe. They are pretty darn sweet, but they can actually be the worst for the very reasons people choose them: They are the resort hopper's destinations. You cannot escape to a lobby to relax and enjoy holiday music and be away from the Holiday hustle and bustle, so you really must be prepared to embrace it.

I love POFQ for a Holiday stay, however a resort that surprised me was CSR. The decor was understated elegance, and the grounds are lovely.

This year I am going back to my beloved AKL for a Holiday stay and am looking forward to the vacation from the vacation atmosphere this resort offers. I was able to book a BB, and while the cost is very good for what we are receiving, it is pricey after a July family trip. I am now thinking ahead to a less expensive stay on my next trip, but one that give me all I want in a Holiday stay but at a budget that is more friendly if I want two vacations in one year. Ugh..... I need to win a large lottery! LOL!

I hope that you know I was not trying to suggest something most people already know.

Not at all!!! I was genuinely saying thank you for presenting it in the way you did! If that came across as sarcastic, my apologize. Conveying the proper emotion in the write language, is an artform I have not mastered.

You have also add more insight with the additional comments!

Not at all!!! I was genuinely saying thank you for presenting it in the way you did! If that came across as sarcastic, my apologize. Conveying the proper emotion in the write language, is an artform I have not mastered.

You have also add more insight with the additional comments!
Oh goodness, no, no sarcasm in your post! I just have a hard time making sure that what I intended to say is actually what I did say. LOL!

We stayed at AKL last Christmas season and it was beautiful. My favorite decorated resort is for sure the Grand Floridian, it is just beautiful. We ate there 3x during our trip, so we were able to take it all in without staying there. The tree is so impressive as is the gingerbread house, and just the overall look. I've seen photos of WL and people say it's amazing, but I've never been. I literally booked this morning for December 2020 and we're staying at Beach Club this time. There's a big gingerbread carousel

Seriously, everywhere is WDW is beautiful in Nov/Dec, you can't go too wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!